• This topic has 154 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)
  • I knew my wife was 'a-musical' but really…..
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Like almost all bands of the 60’s they were ripping off riffs and heavily influenced by the less popular and considerably less commercially exposed black musicians of the time.

Tell me it ain’t so? Same as Elvis the “white man who could sing the blues

true of Elvis, but tell me who you are referring to with regard to the Beatles?

Junkyard
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

this is derivative?

Not really, but it is utter tosh.

for flash 😆 😆
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UDKzGA1xs[/video]

nickc

Like almost all bands of the 60’s they were ripping off riffs and heavily influenced by the less popular and considerably less commercially exposed black musicians of the time.

This is such shite it’s almost as if you’ve listened to no music at all.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ok, we should soon start hearing more from the anti-beatles crowd now. X-Factor has just finished.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ok, we should soon start hearing more from the anti-beatles crowd now. X-Factor has just finished.

LOL

llama

I prefer JLS, Westlife, and Take That

(no not really)

EDIT: but I doo prefer the Stones

RealMan
    Free Member

Surely the beatles are the x factor versions of their generation. Generic pop music which all sounds the same, that people who only listen to music that is on the chart shelf at hmv are fans of. No real meaning or thought put into any of the songs, everything produced for the sole reason to get more publicity and money. No?

joolsburger
    Free Member

As I couldn’t be arsed to type it up how do you like these apples?

Many of the Band’s influences were American in origin. Chuck Berry was perhaps the most fundamental progenitor of the Beatles’ sound. They recorded covers of “Roll Over Beethoven” and “Rock And Roll Music” early on and many other Berry classics were in their live repertoire. Chuck Berry’s influence is also heard (in altered form) on later recordings such as “Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey” (1968) and “Come Together” (1969) (when “Come Together” was released, the owner of Chuck Berry’s copyrights sued John Lennon for copyright infringement of his song “You Can’t Catch Me”, after which the two reached an amicable settlement, the terms of which included an agreement that Lennon cover some Chuck Berry songs as a solo artist).

George Harrison had a fondness for American rockabilly music, particularly that of Eddie Cochran and Carl Perkins. The band’s early stage show featured several Perkins tunes; some of these (notably “Honey Don’t” featuring an early Ringo vocal) would eventually make it to vinyl. Moreover, Harrison’s guitar work remained highly influenced by rockabilly styles throughout the band’s tenure.

The Beatles’ distinctive vocal harmonies were also influenced by those of early Motown artists in America; early Beatles staples included faithful versions of Barrett Strong’s Motown recording of “Money (That’s What I Want)” and The Marvelettes’ hit “Please Mr. Postman”.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No. But good try

monkey_nutz
    Free Member

Im with the anti Beatles crowd too. Muse or Radiohead is a bit more like it.

CountZero

Tell me it ain’t so? Same as Elvis the “white man who could sing the blues”.

Elvis was heavily influenced by black blues and early rock’n’roll, as were the Stones. However, I’m really struggling to think of who they’re ripping off with Love Me Do, Please Please Me, From Me To You, She Loves You, I Ant To Hold Your Hand, All My Loving, Can’t Buy Me Love, A Hard Day’s Night, And I Love Her…
    All of which were written between 1962 and 1964. I honestly challenge anyone to find any other songwriters out there who were writing similar work that the Beatles could have been deriving their own work from.!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ok, so the Beatles did covers, yes those covers sounded like other people. But you really think that stuff is typical of the Beatles?

Why not do some thinking for yourself instead of just copying stuff from the web?

sc-xc

Muse! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I love how music is subjective, and I don’t mind that people pretend to dislike things like the Beatles. But Muse?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

llama

Listen, I’m not a great beatles fan, and I even hate Scousers.

But there is a load of crap being typed here tonight

All music is influenced by other music (dur!)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes of course I am in fact musically illiterate. My mistake.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Joolsburger – your argument makes no sense. Of course the beatles had influences,nobody starts bands in a vacuum. The point is that chuck berry is still doing the same thing he did in the fifties. The beatles went from she loves you to “a day in the life” in about 4 years. No one has ever
    Matched them for innovation in pop music in such a short space of time. No one.

llama

any way the stones were still better and they ripped off waaaay more people. fact.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes of course I am in fact musically illiterate. My mistake.

Well, you’ve yet to show any evidence to the contrary, i have asked you for your ideas, but so far you’ve just given me someone else’s

t-obias
    Free Member

As said above, almost all music came from somewhere else in some way.

Can’t stand the Beatles myself. Never felt any connection to their music and I’ve listened to enough of it. Loads of other music out there I personally find better.

edoverheels
    Free Member

As others, not a Beatles fan but saying they are rubbish and derivative is always going to be tricky if you think about what other bands were doing. Remarkable thread.
    Thoroughly enjoyed sc-xc and I quite liked muse when they started.

joolsburger
    Free Member

You have your opinion and I have mine. I’m happy not liking them and you seem to be a real fan. Your vehemence is a bit scary to be honest, would you like a cup of tea?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No probs with that. The point was that it is ok not to like them, but you cannot say they were rubbish. Without at least some evidence they they couldn’t play, sing or write, show that they were musically talentless

nickc

any way the stones were still better

and had a song written for them by Lennon and McCartney..

Northwind

I don’t like them much, there’s a few songs that are decent but mostly they just don’t make any impression on me, it’s background music at best, same with the Stones and various other iconic bands. But I think about half the bands I like would have sounded pretty different without them so I owe them that.

I will say this though, I reckon if they were to come along now, few people would notice. A product of their time IMO.

Woody
    Free Member

The point was that it is ok not to like them, but you cannot say they were rubbish.

Indeed.

What I find annoying is statements like ‘they were rubbish’ when quite evidently they had more talent in their little fingers (including Ringo) than the poster of the comment. Musical (s)nobbery at its best 🙄

Entertaining thread however and I’d be very interested to hear from the anti-Beetles lot as to who they think are the iconic bands or individuals who have shaped contemporary music 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Your vehemence is a bit scary

I’m very sorry if i scared you. Tell me which phrases you found most frightening and i’ll try not to use them again in discussions with you.

CountZero

Im with the anti Beatles crowd too. Muse or Radiohead is a bit more like it.

Oh, please, there’s thirty years between The Beatles and Radiohead and Muse, and you can hear Beatles influences in a great many more modern bands, like Muse, although their most recent stuff is totally a Queen knockoff. And you could argue that Queen lifted a lot of ideas from the Beatles later more extravagant music, like Tomorrow Never Knows. Prior to the Beatles, it was standard practice for bands to get their songs and music from songwriting factories like Goffin and King and other Brill Building inhabitants, and the British equivalents. The Beatles broke that system. It frankly doesn’t matter if they were getting influences from blues or wherever, the fact is they were writing, recording and performing and having hits with their own songs. That was new, and established the principal for rock bands who followed them. It honestly doesn’t fracking matter one iota whether any of you lot actually like them, they established a principle for others to follow that changed pop music forever. Anyone who says they were rubbish, however, is showing they’re musically illiterate. There’s plenty of music out there I don’t like, but is certainly not rubbish; it’s just not to my taste. I don’t ‘get’ Trout Mask Replica, for example, but I’d be a frakkin’ idiot to call it rubbish. Say you don’t like something by all means, but if you’re going to call The Beatles ‘crap’, or ‘rubbish’ or whatever, let’s hear your songwriting efforts to prove how much better you can do it. I’ll happily admit that Lennon and McCartney were better as a team than they were as individuals, in fact I reckon Ringo wrote two songs that were better than pretty much anything McCartney wrote on his tod, Photograph, Back Off Boogaloo and It Don’t Come Easy are long time favourites, Another Day being the only McCartney solo song I actually like. There’s little music that’s actually rubbish, just stuff you don’t like, and God knows, there’s plenty of that.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I am so glad I am not the only one who hates the beatles they are **** shit end of, their music is piss poor and should be destroyed so I don’t ever have to accidentally hear it. They make my piss boil I hate them so much.

Feel better now that I shared that with you all

DezB
    Free Member

John Lennon’s been dead 30 years and yet people seem to think this is worth arguing about? Bizonkers.

CountZero

And Mantastic, you’ve just proved my point. Clot.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

DezB, I agree! and just think some loser is going to have to read it all!

Waderider
    Free Member

What this thread shows us is that no music critics or indeed normal people are posting on this thread.

It’s a bit sad when people think their personal taste equals a global truth.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Waderider, have you read the thread?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

The Beatles ARE over-rated.

Lennon:McCartney are not the gods of writing – FACT

Listening to the Beatles will not gaurantee you a place in heaven or make you a better person – FACT

Loving the Beatles probably means you’re too dull to have ever listened to other music – FACT

Waderider
    Free Member

Charliemungus, do you spend to much time posting drivel on this forum and not enough time listening to music?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s just that I (amongst others) haven’t expressed my personal taste on here, let alone claim it as a global truth. I wondered where you got your idea from.

But i can’t answer your question unless you tell me how much time is ‘enough time’ listening to music.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Please don’t frighten people Charles Mungus. 🙁

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

sorry, and it’s Charlie, not Charles

RustySpanner

Not liking the Beatles is an affectation, something that people do to somehow appear interesting or different – like singlespeeding, not owning a telly or facial tattoos. 😉

No one really believes you, you know. 😀

You’ll be saying you don’t like Abba next……

Mantastic
    Free Member

Count zero, sadly I didn’t get your point as I don’t have enough free hours to read a post that equates to a novel. They are shite-fact

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)

The topic ‘I knew my wife was 'a-musical' but really…..’ is closed to new replies.