Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I keep bending and cracking rear wheels
  • abeach

Hi,
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what replacement rim I should choose for my El Guapo 26er?

I have recently cracked two rear rims and and bent another which I borrowed off a friend. I don’t think it is quite a simple as it sounds as both cracked ones had a little bit of damage. The first was a stans flow which had a ding in the bead from hitting a rock with too little pressure (second time out). I cracked this one on a skills course. The second was one that shipped with my El Guapo. This one got cracked after pinch flatting in a rock garden the ride after taking my rear mech through the spokes, so a few spokes had probably got damaged. I then borrowed an identical wheel which was three rides old off a mate to ride this weekends Hope Valley MTB Challange and bent it going down Jagger’s Clough at Mach 9.

I am obviously being a bit hard on wheels but have had a bit of bad luck too. I am not overly heavy at 12st. Any ideas on a suitable rim that might stay straightish wold be appreciated. Also, any suggestions for good wheel builders in and around Manchester would be good. Does anyone have any experience with wheels build by North West MTB Centre in Cheadle?

Thanks.

crikey
    Free Member

You need a track pump and some more talent.

transporter13
    Free Member

Mavic every time. Buy a book on how to build wheels and take your time. It’s not that hard to do yourself.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mavic 721s are fantastic, yes they are used by many for DH because they are solid. They are a bit weighty compared to flows but that’s what you need. I am around 15st and smash through sections with little regard to my bike and have had my 721s for about 4 years and they have only ever had a slight wobble on them that I have straightened myself.

mekon
    Free Member

Mavic 721 or 729

transporter13
    Free Member

For what its worth, I’m 25st and have always used 721’s or 321’s with no issues.

Northwind

I cracked one of my 721s (around the eyelets) but they were great up til then. Not just strong but hard- very dent resistant.

But also, just try and hit them a bit less hard- get the pressures right, choose better lines, anything will break if you hit it hard enough, often enough.

abeach

Thanks for the tips. I quite fancy tubeless as have just managed to get my front Stans Flow setup tubeless. Has anyone got experience of 721s tubeless or would 819s be up to the job?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I found that I easily bent 719s for the same riding. How about 823s?

rickmeister

Mavic everytime… Crossmax rims have been brilliant

Saccades
    Free Member

819’s are a bit narrow for tyres >2.2 so need higher pressures to stop burping, go 823 instead.

bigyinn
    Free Member

EN521s are pretty tough indeed. Had one on the back for 3 years now. In 17 st with my kit.

abeach

What about Flow EX? Thery are meant to be stronger than the old Flow.

I might go for a EN521 on my cheaper hub.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The metal will still be softer than mavic metal. Just get the 721 and not worry about your wheels again.

_tom_
    Free Member

721s, had mine for years and still going strong. I wont trust much else on my dh bike! I got my front one in 2010 and its still running straight with no dents etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

EX721’s solid

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I keep bending and cracking rear wheels’ is closed to new replies.