• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • I just poured boiling water over my left hand
  • SaxonRider

Having iced it for about 30 minutes, when will the pain go away? 🙁 and 😳

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

[Unreal Tournament taunt] That had to hurt![/Unreal Tournament taunt] 😯

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not ice, run under cold water for a full 10 minutes (20 minutes for a chemical burn). If it’s still bloody sore, may require a wee visit to folks that know what they’re doing.

Rule of thumb is that if a burn is bigger than 1% of your body, it needs attention – one side of your hand is generally accepted as 1% of body surface.

Jamie
    Free Member

Be careful with the ice. That’ll burn as well. Just cold running water should be ok.

scaredypants

you could take the pain as a sign that the damage is shallow enough to leave nerves intact – so embrace it 🙂

holst
    Free Member

I did that once. It took a big patch of skin off, hurt for several days. Took ages to heal over. My least favorite injury by a long way.

avdave2

I can’t help but think that had I been posting this I wouldn’t have thought to specify which hand. Still I suppose I have learned that either you are right handed or this was an ill fated attempt to hone your ambidextrous skills.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Wrap it in cling film and go get it looked at.

Beagleboy

Splodged a tablespoon of simmering steak ‘n’ ale gravy over my hand whilst cooking New Year’s day dinner, (I may have been slightly pished at the time). Ran it under the cold water tap for a good 15-20 minutes….which really hurt! It took about a week to blister and peel and was really sore. Once all the skin started peeling I used moisturising stuff which cooled it down and eased the burny itch. Still a wee bit itchy and sore now, but I can hardly see the burn now!

Hope you get better soon!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I almost chopped the end of my thumb off the other day. Clean cut across the nail and 2/3rds of the way across.

Didn’t hurt weirdly, still doesn’t now

tjagain

As above – burns that hurt are good as it means the damage is superficial. I’d be tempted to go to minor injuries with it tho all the same

mikedabear
    Free Member

The simplest first aid book will tell you not to put cold water on a scald

buckster
    Free Member

The simplest first aid book will tell you not to put cold water on a scold.

Utter nonsense

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1047.aspx?CategoryID=72

nickjb
    Free Member

I presume he means not ice-cold water.

simondbarnes

Utter nonsense

Well it says to use cool or tepid water and not iced water (or ice) so mikedabear pretty much has it nailed.

legend
    Free Member

but as most people only have a Cold and Hot tap in the house, it’s not a well written piece of advice

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Were you taking part in this?? (Folk of a certain age will remember this) , 😆
    [video]https://youtu.be/4mRklA6KRmo[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

I just poured boiling water over my left hand

monkeysfeet – Member

Were you taking part in this?? (Folk of a certain age will remember this)

Nah, he was probably just using his hand to check if his water had reached the optimal temperature for coffee.

Drac

but as most people only have a Cold and Hot tap in the house, it’s not a well written piece of advice

Here’s a clue. It’s not the hot tap to cool something.

Pierre

It’s more important that it’s cooled quickly than that you worry about the exact temperature of the water, at least at first.

Although if you’re going to cool tissue you shouldn’t make it too cold for too long, the most important thing with burns and scalds is that the cooling starts as soon as possible after the burn.

From what I remember of my physiology / first aid training.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yep, best advice (from my First Aid training 2 weeks ago) is under running water for at least 10 mins. If water is not available, use another liquid such as milk.

legend
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Here’s a clue. It’s not the hot tap to cool something.

Don’t be an arse. next time I’m treating a burn I’m not going to wait to make sure the water is ‘just so’ before shoving whatever body part under it

The simplest first aid book will tell you not to put cold water on a scald

Drac

Don’t be an arse. next time I’m treating a burn I’m not going to wait to make sure the water is ‘just so’ before shoving whatever body part under it

That was my point. It wasn’t directed at you I used your quote to emphasise the point that cold is fine, sorry it confused you.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Yeah sorry about that. I did mean ice and don’t know why I wrote water. Must have to much going on in the old head. Apologies.

Daffy

I did this in November. It was about 4 hours before the pain started to subside and about 6 before it was just mildly irritating.

I wrapped mine in cling film as even air moving across it hurt like a SOB.

leftyboy
    Free Member

If it’s still painful after 10 minutes in cold(ish) running water you should probably get it checked. If you have any blistering or opens sores forming you should go to minor injuries for advice to prevent getting an infection which could probably be much worse than the original burn.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hope you can still ride at the weekend.

cokie

I did that with boiling milk. I tripped and the cup with boiling milk sloshed and splashed my hand. It was the worst paint I’ve ever had. Didn’t matter how much I cooled it, it just carried on ‘burning’.
    Still have the scars on my hand in the splash shapes.

I feel your pain! I can’t imagine having a whole hand burned.

acidtest
    Free Member

Aloe vera is your friend, smother your hand in it as much and as often as possible.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Assuming just reddening and no blistering or open injury:

Intially cold running water (more like 20 minutes than 10)

Then topical cooling gel (cool gel and Water Jel).

Then Aloe vera to heal.

From first aid training and personal experience.

bodgy
    Free Member

Tea Tree oil, applied neat to affected area. Works wonders!

Jamie
    Free Member

…and yet no pictures.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘I just poured boiling water over my left hand’ is closed to new replies.