Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • I HAZ WOODBURNER!
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just fitted today, now clearing up whilst the cats annexe the best spots 🙂
    I’d post a pic if I knew how..

DrP

Just email a photo to the four paupers on here who don’t have one, rather that use internetz space…

DrP 😉

dantsw13

So Xmas pressies:
    Fiskars Maul
    Moisture meter
    Norwegian wood book.
    Whisky/glass.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It is rather a cliche, 4 bikes in the kitchen, two bottles of single malt on the shelf and now a log burning stove – I AM STW!!!

Oh, and three different stovetop coffee makers..

footflaps

Just email a photo to the four paupers on here who don’t have one

I thought you could only get a ‘P’ if you had one…

IHN

I HAZ FUNCTIONAL CENTRAL HEATING!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

So do I :p

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

1) how much did the fitting element of it cost? ie fitting flue to pipe and pipe to stove, register plate etc. or was it part of a bigger job.
    2)I’d be interested to see what you did, send me a pic to host hopwood[dot]mail[at]gmail[dot]com

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Full price of install was £1440 which includes fireplace knock out/gas fire removal, flue liner/new chimneypot, sides of fireplace boarded, stone hearth, register plate. The stove is a Hunter Herald 5 which cost £619 incl. 4ft flue pipe.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mail sent 🙂

edhornby

Bowsaw, claw hammer and a cheap hand axe are perfect for liberated pallets chopped up into kindling

Drac
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

We have plenty of broken pallets at work, time to fit panniers to the commuter!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Drac, never works for me.

Drac

Which hosting site do you try?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

ah, right, it’s just the stove fitting to the flexi flue bit that I’m to do, haven’t had a quote yet. although I’m in the fortunate position of insurance paying for it all, except the chimney pot / flexi flue bit.
    just realised I don’t have email access until later tonight.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Drac, Flickr which is being a real pain so I’ve given up!
    Perhaps B.A. can post it up later?

Drac

The link I posted gives you instructions for alternatives as Flickr is awful now.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t waste your time cutting up pallets; they are designed to stay together strongly.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not the ones we use at work…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Maybe open an account with photobucket, I think I’ve got several hundred pics hosted and only used about 11% of my free allowance, there’s ads to put up with tho. If you have the app on your phone it also auto backsup phone pics to the website (when wifi connected), which is useful. Makes it dead easy posting pics on here.

Fireplace looks good

Drac

Don’t waste your time cutting up pallets; they are designed to stay together strongly.

Luckily they also come apart easily.

neilnevill
    Free Member

how many porcelain cats?

glad the burner is in muddy 😀 i will put mine back tomorrow. Had it out after its ‘trial fit’ which lasted 6 weeks, to get the decorative hearth laid (Fiancee took a while to chose the tiles…that’s my excuse anyway)

I take it the dark strips up the corners are wet sand and cement render? don’t run the fire too long, let the render set before you dry it out or it’ll crack and fall off.

neilnevill
    Free Member

With pallets just check they aren’t chemically treated ones. they often have a marking on them….a bit like a stick tree, and some letters round it. IIRC HT=heat treated, and is fine to burn. If the pallet is used to ship stuff from abroad it WILL be treated in some way, to ensure no bugs hitch ride.

the blocks on some pallets are hard wood, and burn well. the softwood stuff tends to go woof.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I get a few pallet deliveries at work, but have always assumed they are tanalised, am I wrong? some of them are blue-ish.

neilnevill
    Free Member

as an exercise in posting from flickr….

open photo in flickr, right click (2 finger click on a chromebook), copy image address, click the ‘img’ button and paste the adress and…

yep, still works for me. That’s the new decorative herth (and bits of dismantled stove to the right)

neilnevill
    Free Member

not all pallets are tanilised no.

http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mine, so far

neilnevill
    Free Member

you seem to be missing the best bit 😉

Being serious, its easy from there. to DIY:
    -flexi to viscous pipe adaptor – £25-50
    -register plate – £10-40 depending on if you cut your own, buy, and size
    – viscous enamel pipe – £25-50 depending on length, with or without sweeping door (get a door!)
    – sundries like fire cement, rope, screws, a bit of angle iron/brackets – say £30
    -Tiles on hearth – varies. mine is made of 610mmx610mmmx10mm honed limestone. £156 got enough to do 2 hearhts and some spares…which i duly f***ed up. permenant marker on unsealed limestone doesn’t come off with meths…oh poo. Bottle of sealer, £20.
    – Buildng control sign off – £216 rip off in croydon…a good deal less else where.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and a fiver for the chimney notice plate

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yay! My pic is up there!
    There is very little actual render, the two sides are cement board and the dark strips are a quick setting confection. I’ll be doing some finishing sanding and filling this week then paint it all. Hopefully it will all be done for Xmas.

Will have a look at photobucket, flickr is unusable now.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It works for me, I just opened your email, clicked on the photo (it downloaded to my phone and did an auto backup to photobucket), opened photobucket, found your pick, clicked on the link and posted on here. I tend to take out the url bit before posting, so it doesn’t have a link back to my photobucket account.

woody74

That sounds a good price for the install. We have ours going in Thursday and ours is coming out around £1600 but a good chunk is VAT. I was thinking of doing some of it myself, but one issue is time and then after talking to my neighbour and all the headaches he had, it seemed far to much hassle. I think it is one of these jobs that is a piece of p*ss or a bloody nightmare.

The big questions is slate hearth or sandstone coloured?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘I HAZ WOODBURNER!’ is closed to new replies.