Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I have not ridden for 10 months due to new babies and marriage…any advice on
  • sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Getting back out there , admit tangly I am no where near as fit as I was a couple of years ago, but I’m really struggling with motivation. Although. Changed my tyres yesterday because they have degraded so much, I have a shock pump to sort them out, and then I have to wash my kit because it,s getting mouldy. S anyone no an routes on the isle of man?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just ride, and accept it’s going to hurt a bit more at the start, you’ll soon be smiling again.

deadslow

Just out of curiosity…what tyres for new babies and marriage?

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Good ones lol

joao3v16
    Free Member

After a few months off the bike, due to a period of illness followed by a period of laziness 🙂

I started cycling to work … having a specific purpose to a ride (i.e. getting to work, saving money on petrol), rather than ‘just going for a ride’, gave me that extra bit of motivation to get back in the saddle.

As the weather gets warmer (and in theory drier) I’ll be motivated to extend my commute, and/or start planning some MTB rides on weekends.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

i was thinking ofing a turbo trainer, so that i can ride in my kitchen because i just cant get out as much. Should i do it?

clubber
    Free Member

Not so bad as you but same here when son was born and same again now that my daughter’s arrived.

I guess that the first thing is that your son/daughter is reaching the age that they *tend* to start sleeping better which will make you less tired and more keen to ride.

Things that we found worked was agreeing when cycling time was so and trying to stick to them (Saturday morning and Wednesday night ride was what I did). As my son got older and slept better I started doing early morning rides too (get up at 5am, back home by 7am) which meant a couple of extra rides each week but without losing time with my wife/son.

FWIW, the reduced time I have to ride does mean I appreciate it more when I do get out even if the lack of fitness makes it hard work at times.

Basically, you just have to be much more organised.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Turbo trainer will get you fit but you’ll hate it and give up very quickly unless you are extremely motivated.

Get outside. Ride as fast or slow as you feel comfortable and just enjoy it.

MussEd
    Free Member

Just because you stick the turbo in the kitchen doesnt mean you’ll be able do other stuff(like do the dishes, feed kids etc) in there at the same time though? Get out on your bike as much as your time allows and you’ll value every second. My wife has recognised this, and knows my time in the house will be more productive/less grumpy so seldom stands in the way when I want to go out on the bike. As long as my chores are done and requisite QT has been spent with MussTed of course…

Dont worry about fitness though….

monkeyp

I find it hard to motivate myself what with work, children, decorating etc etc.

You will find probably that the only times you can ride is at night, to work or the odd day trip when nothing else is planned or an odd early morning ride on a weekend. This makes every minute count on the bike for me, but it is still hard to get out.

The best way I have found is to make sure everything is out, ready and ready to go so all you need to do is get changed and get out the door. Similarly with riding to work, make it harder and more faff to drive than ride by getting prepared. I have a 46 mile round trip commute which I try to do once a week so this is critical for me.

Also, get out for a 30 minute blast if that’s the only time you have – it will give you a taste for more and it’s suprising how it all adds up when you have no other time!

Andy-R

sucklingmatt – Member
    S anyone no an routes on the isle of man?

Does anyone know any routes on the Isle of Man?. Yes, loads of people do. What sort of routes are you looking for – singletrack in forestry, open hill tracks, lots of climbing or not much climbing?
    Give me a shout if you want a few ideas, email in profile.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Yup.. MTFU and kick yourself up the arse.. get some good lights and get out a night. You’ll feel better for it and really start to enjoy scaring the badgers

martinhutch

Just out of curiosity…what tyres for new babies and marriage?

Mud-X, I would have thought. Well, good for the baby side of things.

mintimperial

i was thinking ofing a turbo trainer, so that i can ride in my kitchen because i just cant get out as much.

I did this, it helped me get back to a basic level of fitness after my son arrived. You can just do half an hour or so at the start whilst watching telly after the baby’s gone to sleep or something, and it’ll give you confidence that your legs still work ok for when you get chance to venture outside properly.

Yeah it’s boring, but if you’ve got young kids your definition of boring will have just been radically redefined anyway so you’ll probably find it quite therapeutic. I still do the occasional turbo session, it cheers me up when I’ve just spent three hours reading Mr Men stories and I can’t get out cos it’s the wife’s turn to escape for the evening… 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Basically, you just have to be much more organised.

I’ve found this is the key to getting more time out on the bike – reduce pre-ride faffing to an absolute minimum!

Make sure your bike and all associated kit is ready at the drop of a hat, so that anytime you get a free hour you can quickly change & be out the door … without wasting time running around the house trying to find your shoes, gloves, helmet etc

ransos
    Free Member

Mud-X, I would have thought. Well, good for the baby side of things.

Life would be easier if I could use Muc-off and a pressure washer on my daughter…apparently it’s frowned upon.

cookeaa

Getting back out there , admit tangly I am no where near as fit as I was a couple of years ago, but I’m really struggling with motivation. Although. Changed my tyres yesterday because they have degraded so much, I have a shock pump to sort them out, and then I have to wash my kit because it,s getting mouldy. S anyone no an routes on the isle of man?

I have a loose agreement with the missus that I’m supposed to get as much ‘Me time’ and disposable budget (From the joint account) as she does…

I’m the only one that seems to adhere to the terms of this agreement thus like you I get bugger all time to go riding or tinkering with bikes in the garage, I’ve been rigid though about Saturdays though.
    I get a minimum of half a day on Saturday to go riding locally (AM or PM depending on how this fits around the other family plans)…
    I’m also allowed the odd night ride too (cos the kids are in bed basically) and I’ve planned and negotiated a minimal race calendar for 2012 well in advance so she can see when I’m disappearing for the day months in advance. She’ll still whinge and claim I’m not pulling my weight but I would probably go insane without a bit of time each week to do my own thing…

The tough part I find is always getting your arse in gear to get stuff together and get out the door, once your out riding it all falls into place…

My advice is as follows;

1- Have some Local routes that you like and know you can do in ?? Hours/minutes from your front door and back, knowing where you are going means you can give an acurate idea of time.

2- Always have at least one bike ready and ridable (Tires pumped up, brakes working, etc) a really basic SS is best in many ways as it takes minimal maintenance to keep it available for riding when the posher bikes are knackered or don’t fancy the damp.

3- have all your riding kit Dry and together in one location ready to grab and go (helmet, shoes, clothing, pack, spare tubes, pump whatever you’d normally need for a ride), if you have to faff getting items from different places you’ll never get out the door.

Basically stream lining the getting ready to go out process helps the motivation as you’re more likely to get out and go riding quickly and with minimal fuss…

My missus is determined since our second (2-1/2 weeks ago) to pile the guilt on whenever I get back from a ride, but within a couple of days is telling me I need to make time for cycling (Primarily because she want time to go out on the piss, shopping or whatever)

martinhutch

Life would be easier if I could use Muc-off and a pressure washer on my daughter…apparently it’s frowned upon.

Apparently too much pressure washing will ruin the bottom bracket.

woody2000

cookeaa – she sounds like a lovely person 😕

OP – the only thing stopping you getting out is you. Get organised, stop dithering and get out there!!

😀

simonm
    Free Member

cookeaa – I have one like that too ! 6 months into our second one. good advice though, get ready to go out and kick yourself up the arse to get out in evenings…which I intent to do tonight despite beeing knackered.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

yeah i have two 6 months and 18 months..but just got in from the shed with my head torch, bike already to role now, including rides around estate lol….

Negotiated two hours tomorrow morning to while little boys are down for there nap….winner!! Hopefully weather will be ok

crikey
    Free Member

Serious non-cycling-macho advice?

Start running.

Run until your kids are a year or two older; you can fit in more running and therefore more exercise with about 100% less faffing about and considerably less expenditure, and with a massive amount of Brownie points as a result.

Then as time begins to become available, you can get going on the bike again.

I’m not suggesting it is the only way, but it worked for me with two little uns.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just remember that you need to put the trousers on and just tell your mrs what you are doing. What’s she gonna do?? Not have sex with you for 2 weeks?? At least that way you be safe in the knowledge you havent knocked her up with no.3 for a while longer.
    Ive got an 15 month and 3 year old and its hard to get the time.. but i try and get out 2 or 3 nights in the week and sunday morning. Start a routine of doing it as you have to have some (guilty) pleasure in life.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

thank you for all ve advice. It has been really helpful

ollymac
    Free Member

Have the same problem. Bought a house next to forest. 5mins cycle. Get by either 7am one hour loops, or 7pm. Keeps the wife happy. Just now getting 1/2 days away. Depends on family support too. Secret is routine. Pulling your weight too. leaving no objections open.

simonm
    Free Member

cloudnine.. 2 or 3 nights a week AND Sunday morning….. bloody hell..you are now my official bloke laying down the law hero 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jnr FD is just under 2, and Mrs FD works stupid long hours in all kind of weird shift patterns so for me getting out of the house takes much planning!

To be honest if your motivation is low I wouldn’t rush to get out on the bike. Whats the point for a 40 mins of riding when your going to get wet, filthy and be knackered.

Instead as Crikey suggests, go for a run it takes far less time to get out there and a 30min run is much more effective than 1hr on the bike, plus the only thing that takes time to clean up when you get back is yourself, not a bike too.

I also use a Turbo Trainer and Sufferfest, that will certainly help build your bike fitness back up. (some thing I can do while Jnr FD is asleep and Mrs FD at work)

Use a diary and book dates for weekend rides ie morning or afternoon with mates if possible, I manage about 1 per month if lucky.

Remember to ‘offer’ time out to Mrs Matt too. I find it difficult at times to do that as Mrs FD is around so little as it is that I resent her having ‘free’ time for what she wants to do too.

Fishd

Re: Tyre question… got to be spikes, surely?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve had similar motivational issues. Sadly though, I “get out there” and still it doesn’t do much for me. I enjoy it for a bit, but I’m just not getting the off-road buzz. I never get bored of being on the road bike, but I think the road riding from my doorstep is much better than the off-road stuff from my doorstep.

I’ve booked a day out on Saturday for a “proper” off road ride with mates so hope that will give me the motivational kick up the proverbial.

stevew
    Free Member

All as above, really hard to get out – 3 year old and 1 year old and the riding never seemed to pick up between the two.

Road rising from the house is quicker to set up and gives me more of a buzz than the average bridleways around here – York. It takes lots more time to get to the Dales or Moors and adds to the time you are away from the family.

I take my bike – road or mountain – on the train to meetings and plan routes back from the venue or a point two or three stations from home, this gives an opportunity to squeeze rides into the edge of the working day and not really eat into family time. Unfortunately I have to drive to my normal workplace so cant cycle commute but I sometimes put the bike in the car an park further out of the city and cycle the rest, again, gives a bit of a turn on the pedals.

Also, enjoy riding with the kids, both mine have a bike seat and I also have a trailer and a tag along (for when the eldest is a bit bigger), if we go places as a family I always look for a 30 minute loop from the picnic spot or car park and head off while the family are eating or falling asleep back at the car etc.

Kids, complicated eh?

simonm
    Free Member

I’m really lucky in that I can do 40mins to 4 hour rides straight from the door, edge of Peak or Wharncliffe even. Road riding sends me to sleep.

Really good to hear from others that are in the same boat.. another great Therapy thread !

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I can do 40mins to 4 hour rides straight from the door

I’m on the edge of the Peak District too. Bigger rides are – relatively speaking – on my doorstep. It’s the quick fix in the evening that I find a bit unfulfilling off road. There’s only so much woodland and canal towpath I can take 😆

If i’ve got 2 – 3 hours there’s some great stuff, provided I don’t mind 30 mins each way on the road.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Really good to hear from others that are in the same boat.. “

One of my mates has a different approach. ie the womans place is in the home approach. She doesn’t work, he goes out to work, he then will run for an 1hr or more every day, goes to the football on a Saturday, and then does a running race on the Sunday followed by the pub… and various pub stops during the week

Maybe the sexism thing wasn’t such a bad idea afterall ?!?!

ransos
    Free Member

One of my mates has a different approach. ie the womans place is in the home approach. She doesn’t work, he goes out to work, he then will run for an 1hr or more every day, goes to the football on a Saturday, and then does a running race on the Sunday followed by the pub… and various pub stops during the week

Maybe the sexism thing wasn’t such a bad idea afterall ?!?!

I actually like spending time with my wife and daughter.

garage-dweller

With ransos on this. On top of which I played my part in bringing our two kids into the world and I share the responsibility for caring for them, educating them and making them decent human beings.

Leaving that aside kids are masses of fun.

For the OP my top tips are.

1 accept you are not as quick as you were and ride accordingly. The fitness will come back but slowly.
    2 get your gear together the day / night before
    3 do some ‘work’ on the bike – fettle the gears or bleed the brakes or something. I find getting the bike ready makes me itch to go for a ride for days after
    4 offer and make sure the wife/oh takes some time for her too
    5 get a kiddy seat and take them with you. If you have rack mounts then i rate the topeak one. Hamax do seat tube mounted ones that ctc mag rated highly. My nearly 3 year old has been coming out since 10months and loves a trip to the park or the marina/local lock. Just kep them chatting or make up your own words for ‘the wheels on the bike’.

nealy
    Free Member

Pretty much what everyone else has said but…

My wife and I got our bikes and a kiddie seat (Hamax Smiley) 3 years ago when sprog one was 15 months old so that we could all do some exercise together as we hadn’t been to the gym in a very long time due to less time, tiredness and the usual new parent reasons. Sprog two arrived last December and we got a kiddie trailer for him which also went behind my bike as the missus isn’t too confident on two wheels and I like the idea of being the daddy train plus it’s good resistance training. Family rides are all well and good but it’s not the same as doing a proper ride although we did do the blue at Llandegala a couple of times with sprog one. My wife and I decided we needed to start being a bit more selfish and occasionally do our own thing of a weekend so every few weeks I have a day in Wales or similar bombing up and down mountains and she’ll go for a long run or go for a day out with her mates. It’s great having kids but you still need to do stuff for yourself as well. Apart from the fun days out most of my riding is squeezed in when I can after they’ve gone to bed or a quick blast of a weekend morning.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

You are all ace, any on the iom fancy a ride? I got out yesterday for two hours was really good but so so hard. Hate it when roadies just ride past you to when your on the last beast of a hill before getting into the next plantation. Dam them lol

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I have not ridden for 10 months due to new babies and marriage…any advice on’ is closed to new replies.