Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • I have never had a problem with seating tubeless tyres, untill now.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well I asked about tubeless CX tyres & went with the Bonty CX0, my God what a pain, literally I thought my heart would exploded trying to seat the flaming things using a track pump!
    I finally managed to seat them & went to 60 psi, I then watched the beads bubble, OK I thought, go a bit higher as the tyre says 60-80 psi, got to just over 70 & bloody hell the tyre came off the rim with an almighty bang, more jiz in strange places than I thought possible & my ears are still ringing, scared the bejesus out of me, even the wife ventured out of the house to ask what had just happened.
    All I can say is sorry for all the posts I have previously sneered at when people have tried/failed to seat tubeless tyres, it can be a lot harder than I thought.
    😳

Cheers.

oldnpastit

Can you do it again, and record it on video for us to laugh at please?

somafunk

User error i’m afraid…. 😉 , where’s the badger thread when you need an explosion?.

You seated them correctly on the rim bead but sealant was continuing to leak from the bead area, you continued to inflate them past the max tubeless pressure of 50psi, (recommended pressure of 60-80 only using tubes) and were surprised when they blew off the rims? – you should have left the tyres to seal themselves at the rim bead with a lower pressure.

As they’ve blown off the rim at that pressure i bet the bead is damaged, I’d not trust them enough to run tubeless.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I could, but I don’t think me ears would recover a second time, are you willing to pay for the necessary hearing aid?
    😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

SF,I read somewhere about the 50 psi, but it was not stated on the packaging or the tyre, both of which I read…

somafunk

Yeah that is the issue, not really your fault per-se as It’s sort of an unwritten rule that you do not exceed 50psi when attempting to set up CX tubeless tyres, and as CX tubeless tyres are usually ran way under 30psi it’s not such an issue.

Saying that i have previously set up tubeless on my Tripster with Clement MS0 120tpi 40mm tyres at 60 psi but i very soon removed them (300 yards of use) – i just didn’t trust them.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

What don’t you trust them for?
    I thought I was running on the rim, IE I thought I had a flat to begin with at 60psi.

somafunk

They have very supple sidewalls and were designed for use with tubes so I tried it as a bored experiment with my velocity aileron tubeless rims but it took 3 runs of rim tape to get them to fit snug on the rim, the clement bead was not designed to cope with the stress/strain of running tubeless so I removed them. Clement are reported to be redesigning their tyres to be suitable for tubeless use but I doubt they’ll be released this year.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Just checked them & the rear is at about 20 psi, the front has held well though.

Cheers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘I have never had a problem with seating tubeless tyres, untill now.’ is closed to new replies.