Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I have a squeal with my front break disc… any ideas please?
  • compkiler
    Free Member

Ive only used my bike once since ive got it last week and thats only been from the train station on the way back from picking it up. I noticed that when off the saddle, and when i power down on the right pedal, i can hear the front break disk squeal and make a noise.
    You reckon its just because the bikes new and the disks need bedding in or do my front pads need moving out a bit or something else?

It also happens when im on the bike and lean the bike right over to the left, whilst im leaning to the right!

Cheers gus.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Have you checked the QR is done up tight?

Does the brake only rub when turning or putting the power down?

If the disc central in the caliper?

If it only rubs as you describe & the QR is tight give the brakes a chance to bed in.

If it’s not stopped my the time the bikes due it’s 1st free check up inform the shop when they do the check up (they are giving you a free bike check up aren’t they?)

redfordrider
    Free Member

No bike is stealthy silent all the time. Have you checked that the front skewer is tight? If you have shimano hubs you might need to tighten the cone/axle nut. Your rotor might need straightening or the calipers need re- aligning.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    redfordrider
    Free Member

4and_b – you beat me to it!

4ndyB
    Free Member

Bike forums are a bit of a Busman’s holiday for me 😉

MarkyG82

Sounds like fork flex to me. Once the pads are bedded in, it shouldn’t do it so much.

compkiler
    Free Member

Hehe thanks guys lol 🙂
    f
    Well, ive took the wheel off and put it back on a few times and its still there.
    Ive made sure the quick release is tight and the wheel is pushed right down into its slot.

Pedaling sitting down, there is no noise whatsoever.

Pedaling and leaning to the left whilst the bike is pushed right, there is no noise.

Pedaling and leaning to the right whilst the bike is pushed left and we have the squeal!

MarkyG82

When I say it shouldn’t do it, I mean the rubbing not the flexing 😉

compkiler
    Free Member

Not sure if its my front forks flexing either now as ive heard the SID forks can flex.
    Hopefully its just my breaks need bedding in or my calipers may need realigning.

compkiler
    Free Member

Ah u beat me to it Marky lol

bruneep

Pedailng sitting down, there is no noise whatsoever.

Do this

Pedaling and leaning to the left whilst the bike is pushed right, there is no noise.

Pedaling and leaning to the right whilst the bike is pushed left and we have the squeal!

Don’t do this

No need to thank me 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Little dab of grease on each side of the rotor should stop it squeaking…

compkiler
    Free Member

greasing my rotor would stop me brakes working wouldnt it lol?

andrewh
    Free Member

Maybe. But it would stop the squeak 😀

MarkyG82

Compkiler that’s just mean 😉

If you have sids then I’d definitely say its flex. Nothing to worry about or fix. Its just a way the fork is. If you decide its still doing it too long after the bed in period, maybe look into swapping the forks out for something abit stiffer.

compkiler
    Free Member

Well, i just spent a fortune on a new bike… i want it right from the start lol.
    I shouldnt have to put up with a really loud squeal from the front disk should i really.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Have you put a jumbo rotor on the SID? I imagine they have a max rotor size which would result in said rub if exceeded.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pads need to be centralised – check the vids on the hope site for the best way to do this. Possibly one sluggish piston. Or get the shop to sort it. it should not happen

compkiler
    Free Member

Its a Cube Reaction GTC SL 29er

http://www.cube.eu/en/29er/reaction-29-gtc-sl/

AJames
    Free Member

Nope, you just need a tiny bit of copper grease, or normal grease ( but a smigin) on the back of your brake pads!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

that will not stop a rub which is what this is

compkiler
    Free Member

Ye its not break rub i think, its more like the rotor catching on somthing?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I have a squeal with my front break disc… any ideas please?’ is closed to new replies.