Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)
  • 'I hate STW. Bunch of middle class whiney cockbags.'
  • poly
    Free Member

trailmonkey – I’m not sure which bit of what I wrote offended you so much? Perhaps you didn’t understand it.

Generally, those at the “bottom” of a class system (who would have been called ‘working class’ in the mid 20th century) are generally the least affluent, least “socially mobile”, probably most likely to spend their whole lives closest to their place of birth, often least likely to be well educated etc.

Anyone earning minimum wage today almost certainly has a higher standard of living than a genuinely working class family in the 70s and early 80s (I remember those times – not through rose tinted glasses – and whilst we weren’t necessarily poor we were very much working class and life was a struggle). But whilst many of those people would still claim to be working class my point is there is actually a further “strata” which has developed – of people who are the poorest in society, likely to be have least access to education or opportunity – the point being that those people are generally not “working”.

The other part of my post was about the labels we attach to social groups/classes and how we define them – and the fact that “classes” defined by job/affluence are increasingly being blurred but that there are other ‘social’ descriptors if you want to put people in pigeon holes which might work just as well.

However I did start the whole post pointing out it was a “pub discussion” which means you shouldn’t really treat too much of it is as a formal hypothesis on society and class structure, indeed perhaps even a touch of humour or irony!

BigJohn

I think the conventional class definitions were only valid from about 1900 to the mid 60s (when everybody wore a hat) and the notion of class died out completely in the late 1980s, when working class people got to earn loadsamoney and middle class people started losing their jobs.

A middle class man is one who would get up and put on a suit and tie on Saturday morning – even if he wasn’t going to work.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13023569

Think this lot are into bikes?

Makes me want to boak

razzlinrascal
    Free Member

speaking of UPPUR CLASS **** with expensive biks and clean wellys which is wat i think yur on with in that saint andrews place.look at th st andrews uni. cycle clubb page, @
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~cycling/?page_id=28

look at their events, a TEA PARTY in a bandstand lthxt
    liyk what a crop o shit, i mean look at some of their photos. how gay are they, glad i go to a real collidge with a real bike club who can actualiy ride bikes properli

take that Stauccc

and anyway arent these the guys who messed up blaradum forest?

yunki
    Free Member

I haven’t read past the first page.. but I’m willing to bet that tjis has degenerated into a mind numbing wrangle about who is the most salty or whether the traditional class system can incorporate all of the forum members adequately..

I have a theory..

In todays society..
    If you can afford a mortgage you are lower middle
    If you can’t.. you are working
    If you’ve paid off your mortgage you are upper middle
    If you’ve never really worried about such things and are orf on a jolly somewhere soon and don’t want this conversation to taint the experience.. then you are probably upper

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

poly – Member

trailmonkey – I’m not sure which bit of what I wrote offended you so much?

Well he copied and pasted the bit he found offensive. He even put it in a quotation box …….he couldn’t really have made it much clearer.

You’re not very observant are you ?

tiberius
    Free Member

and anyway arent these the guys who messed up blaradum forest?

Yes. There was another thread about that but this one now has discussion of that incident.

I’m just wondering when the organisers of the student race are going to speak up again. They have repairs to make, but they have went very quiet on here.

As organisers and holders of a permit to hold an event, they have responsibilities under that permit that they have failed to fulfill.

Markie
    Free Member

I have a theory..

In todays society..
    If you can afford a mortgage you are lower middle
    If you can’t.. you are working
    If you’ve paid off your mortgage you are upper middle
    If you’ve never really worried about such things and are orf on a jolly somewhere soon and don’t want this conversation to taint the experience.. then you are probably upper

Thank you Yunki for the above synopsis which shall now become my default position should I ever again be unfortunate enough to become involved in a pub ‘class’ conversation.

Previously, class status conversations have always left me puzzled – particularly the hereditary element which seems to allow both working and upper class membership to continue for generations after I would have presumed the claimants to have become middle class. I had thought that my confusion resulted from not having grown up in the UK, but no longer.

poly
    Free Member

Well he copied and pasted the bit he found offensive. He even put it in a quotation box …….he couldn’t really have made it much clearer.

You’re not very observant are you ? Ernie, he quoted my whole message (excluding the original quote which put it in context!) – I assumed he was just too lazy to be specific.

Blower
    Free Member

anyway’s tis mostly a middle class sport.

konabunny
    Free Member

Blower
    anyway’s tis mostly a middle class sport.

What is? Mountain biking or arguing online? 😀

Blower
    Free Member

both 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tiberius – Member
    I’m just wondering when the organisers of the student race are going to speak up again. They have repairs to make, but they have went very quiet on here.

As organisers and holders of a permit to hold an event, they have responsibilities under that permit that they have failed to fulfill.

Have you chased them up through the university? There must be someone there to complain to.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like Yunki’s analysis. I’m either working class or upper class.

Dougal
    Free Member

Have you chased them up through the university? There must be someone there to complain to.

Details of who to complain to added to the Blairadam thread.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There must be someone there to complain to whom one can complain

I mean really, how very non-u.

j_me
    Free Member

There’s a link on that site “STUACC Does Wales”
    Better hope those photos don’t make the press before the wedding !

yunki
    Free Member

I like Yunki’s analysis. I’m either working class or upper class.

from that I deduce that you are definitely lower class..! 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 121 through 138 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘'I hate STW. Bunch of middle class whiney cockbags.'’ is closed to new replies.