Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I HATE BT
  • cb

In an area that doesn’t have cable (virgin) are there any choices that give good broadband speeds i.e. does any other provider have access to the Infinity style products?

rewski
    Free Member

It would help if you said which area, anyway what’s your beef with BT, I found them to be the most reliable, Virgin and Sky suck.

ourmaninthenorth

I hate BT, but that’s because I work for a rival comms provider and they’re the bane of my life….

BT Infinity is just the name for the fibre broadband service offered by Openreach. Plenty of CPs will start to offer this.

Broadband speeds are driven by loads of factors, and mostly the distance between the exchange and your house, age of the copper line, etc.

Go to the samknows website, and punch in your postcode. It will tell you who the other providers at your exchange are. Contact each of them and see what speeds they claim you’ll get. But, like I said, much of the speed is hardware dependent.

If you want fibre broadband (what BT retail sells as “Infinity”), then (1) your exchange needs to have been fibre enabled (Openreach are slowly rolling this out) and (2) you’ll need to find a provider who currently has it for sale. Giving myself away, TalkTalk are currently offering it to existing customers….

cb

Thanks – Macc area.

Beef is cost – they gave me a good reduction when I moaned but didn’t tell me it was for a limited period, just found out I have been paying 23 a month again for ages (bill goes through business so I don’t go through every line). I now have a MAC code!

ourman – is Openreach owned by BT or are they independent?

TheFlyingOx

Do you hate BT as much as this guy?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj2oXMdZ4sk[/video]

EXCEEDINGLY NSFW language.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

We’ve got fibre from PlusNet, its rapid… they are owned by BT though

Cougar

http://www.samknows.com

(I should have this on a keystroke macro)

redthunder
    Free Member

I like BT. You also get a free Flickr PRO account and newsgroups.

I hate Tiscalli [Pipex]

almightydutch
    Free Member

Cant fault my BT Fibre/Infinity BB

had it for about 6 months now and its mega.

Although the std BT Home hub router isnt quite as good as it does fall over occasionally and the phone with it is piss poor but not the end of the world.

samuri
    Free Member

You don’t hate BT. Get Virgin, then you’ll understand the word ‘hate’.
    When I first got my cable connection, it was brilliant. I’ve even been on here a couple of times saying how good it is. Then around Christmas it started going bad. Slow sometimes which was fine but then it started dropping out, for days at a time. Then it started dropping out every single day, most of the day.

You’ll see I mentioned the word ‘christmas’ there. How long do you think I had that problem. Here’s a clue, I *still* have the problem.

The staff almost laugh down the phone when I demand that it is fixed. I’ve realised one of their tricks is to lie about when it’s going to be fixed. You see they have an internal policy about getting three calls in one month, if they get 3 or more then they treat it as a long term issue and if it goes on longer than 2 months they will disconnect you for free (at the moment I’d have to pay £120 to get disconnected). So they lie and say the fault will be fixed by (a date three weeks in the future), so you stop phoning them up for three weeks. And the counter is reset.

Also, Ofcom advise that after 8 weeks of bad service, you can process them through an Alternative Dispute resolution scheme, but again, if the ISP can stop you calling for three weeks, it’s treated as a new problem.

So now I’m phoning them up every 3 or 4 days to ask why they haven’t fixed it yet. In the meantime I’m getting a phone line reinstalled and plusnet onboard. it’s costing me a lot of money but after going apoplectic down the phone at the customer complaints woman at Virgin when she told me all this, I realised I’d be poorer but happier if I just went to someone else and then taunt virgin constantly until they disconnect me for free.

I’d happily burn their main offices down with Branson inside them to be honest though, I am so cross about it.

rewski
    Free Member

You can’t really blame BT for your accounting. Openreach is owned by BT but operates as a separate business, it’s heavily regulated.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Big Thieves, stole money out of my account using direct debit, gave it back 4 months after I swapped broadband provider. Then added over £200 of charges to my account for not paying telephone bill by direct debit.
    **** BIG THIEVING ****.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I HATE BT’ is closed to new replies.