Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I had completely forgotten about Aphex Twin..
  • maxray
    Free Member

Such a good artist! Got Windowlicker banging out of the studio stereo before the others get in.

Not many electronic artists manage to capture a real unique “essence” in their music. Today is going to be spent getting reacquainted with his tunes. 🙂

TheFlyingOx

He is a bit of a fruitloop though, isn’t he? Does he have artistic direction in his videos, or has he got an equally off-the-wall art director buddy?

theflatboy
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member
    He is a bit of a fruitloop though, isn’t he? Does he have artistic direction in his videos, or has he got an equally off-the-wall art director buddy?

Chris Cunningham

TheFlyingOx

😯

Well that certainly explains a fair bit.

theflatboy
    Free Member

that link doesn’t really tell you much, tbf. try this:
    Chris Cunningham on wikipedia

or just watch this. 😆

I went to see a live Chris Cunningham show at the Roundhouse a few months ago. It’s fair to say it was intense. But amazing.

DezB
    Free Member

Aphex is a funny old artist – I hate just as much of his stuff as I love!
    I once heard (or read) him say that he always knows what a track is going to sound like before he goes in the studio… bloody liar!

scruff
    Free Member

Best album ever-

DezB
    Free Member

Chris Cunningham needs his own thread… (Buy this)

rewski
    Free Member

Used to have Analogue Bubblebath on R&S 12, Didgeridoo… WTF

passtherizla
    Free Member

I remember going to see Aphex Twin at Q Club in brum quite a few years back… Amazing set.

He had two 20 foot dancing bears on stage and Dj’d his whole set with a massive cut out of his own face strapped to his face.

love weird shit me…

HermanShake
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZGIrNf71Q[/video]

😈

Edit: ah, someone else has linked. Ok try this on for size:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-XNav5mWU&feature=related[/video]

It’s like creepy ear sex.

corroded
    Free Member

Back to Chris Cunningham, I remember when he was down to direct Neuromancer and I could barely contain myself – one of my favourite books with one of the few directors who could do it justice. But it wasn’t to be.

swiss01
    Free Member

rubber johnny was, for me, cunningham’s most difficult watch

swiss01
    Free Member

yes, still don’t like the dog’s eyes.

it was great to get up and see bits of flex again. i went to see it years ago at the edinburgh festival. my vidiocy loving daughter wasn’t allowed in due to ‘adult content’ ut we did have a highly amusing interchange with whoever it was on the door at the art school who plainly wasn’t expecting to hear the views of a grumpy ten year old on censorship. happy days!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Definitely my favourite musician, and his music has had a pretty profound influence on my life, influencing my career, my choice of friends and even who I married!

It all started by accident as well. My brother had ordered SAW on import, but when we went record shopping he didn’t have enough cash so I bought it. Until that point I’d been mostly into guitar music, but SAW simply blew me away. I’d agree that his output can be patchy but when he gets it right nothing else comes close IME

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbjvvlknEk[/video]

onandon
    Free Member

I love and hate Apex twin. I have just about everything he has ever done.
    great if ya in the mood but a bit mental if not – same can be said for Square pusher or Ceephax.

iwluap

If you like Aphex Twin you should check out Surfing on Sine Waves by Polygon Window. It’s one of Warp’s releases as part of the Artificial Intelligence series.

Haven’t listened to it in ages but getting slight goosebumps thinking about playing it LOUD!

kudos100
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q1gCsZykg[/video]

Possibly the greatest chillout song in the known universe.

Even in the darkest of moments, listening to this makes me know that everything will turn out ok 😀

darrell
    Free Member

Excellent music. And that’s coming from an old punk

debaser

Love the Aphex Twin.

On a slight tangent I can also recommend the Acoustica:Alarm Will Sound performs Aphex Twin album. Richard D James stuff transribed for an orchestra sounds even more incredible.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP_w_Mvh9tU[/video]

Skyliner
    Free Member

Love Apex Twin, Windowlicker is still to this day like nothing else!

maxray
    Free Member

Passtherizla, I was at that very gig! 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

In 200 years time Richard D James will be viewed as one of the great composers and arrangers of our time.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I had completely forgotten about Aphex Twin..’ is closed to new replies.