Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I had an idea… (Ghetto chainguide solution)
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

So we were going for an xmas eve bike ride and my brother had thrown together his old hardtial as he usually rides DH, but he had put a single ring on the front with no derallieur and gearing on the back, therefore clearly the chain would come off at the first sight of a rough patch…

Firstly I did the obvious and put an old derallieur with the screws adjusted so that is sat as close to the chainring as possible to act as the top piece but the bottom half was the problem so I set about fashioning something along the lines of one of these…(which are actually a reasonable price now…)…

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k305/a65506/c-guide-v-01-black.html

Now I dont think this will work on all frames as obviously the seatstays are often different

What you need

– 4 cable ties
    – an old plastic pipe (I used the little piece you get for the middle of an X-Type BB)

What to do

– Attach two of the cable ties lengthways through the pipe, making them as tights as possible
    – Move them apart slightly (the distance will depend on the shape of your seatstay)
    – Use the other two cable ties to attach the ‘pipe/guide’ to your seatstay, do this via threading them through the two cable ties you have already attached to the pipe
    – Make sure the two cable ties that are threaded through the pipe are sat either side of the ‘point’ our rounded edge of your seatstay as this will stop it moving into the tyre!

There you go, simple as that! and cost next to nowt!

Ill get a pic up tomorrow so that you can see what i mean, but i tell you what it worked an absolute treat, the chain never even thought about coming off!

JoeG
    Free Member
    AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

thats even cheaper… however as a side note, dont use white zip ties!! once weathered they start to go brittle and snap easy, use black ones.

JoeG
    Free Member

dont use white zip ties!!…use black ones.

What are you; some sort of zip tie racist? :mrgreen:

sbob
    Free Member

He’s on to something actually; I have noticed that black zip ties are less brittle. Using them to secure small explosives, the white ones always break first (same size/manufacturer).

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Using them to secure small explosives

Scapegoat

Better still, use an old reflector bracket and a piece of hose, works like the 35 quid Bionicon one.

May I advance the though that it looks goppin’, but nowhere near as goppin’ as that white thing above……

bigdean

White one photodegrade thought everyone knew that..

wobbem
    Free Member

Used a broken bionicon, but hose or pvc pipe would also work. 3x pieces of road bike inner tube zip tied.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

there we go, some even better solutions than mine! great stuff lads. reflector one looks quite neat really

JoeG
    Free Member

LOL at the Bionicon fixed with zip ties! 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I had an idea… (Ghetto chainguide solution)’ is closed to new replies.