Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I got my first Strava KOM this morning
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And it was my third ride on a 650b bike.

Coincidence?

gwaelod
    Free Member

No coincidence – if you had bought a 29er then you would have got a KOM first time out

wwaswas

Coincidence?

depends on the KOM.

If it’s your ‘down the garden to the shed’ segment then it’s not that remarkable 😉

If it’s got more than 200 riders and > than 500 rides then it’s all about the wheels 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No coincidence – if you had bought a 29er then you would have got a KOM first time out

Sold the 29er a few months back. Damn and blast!

If it’s your ‘down the garden to the shed’ segment then it’s not that remarkable

If it’s got more than 200 riders and > than 500 rides then it’s all about the wheels

Ha! It’s a relatively new, fairly techy and incredibly off-camber piece of singletrack, dropping about 100m vert in about 0.4 of a mile.

16 riders down it, including one BDS racer. I don’t anticipate hanging onto it for very long. 😉

GEDA
    Free Member

Post a link to the segment then. That 12mm/4.5% extra radius probably made all the difference. I was thinking of wrapping some pipe foam and gaffer tape around my tyres to see if it made me faster.

roverpig

Three points:

1. Well done, enjoy it.

2. New bikes are always great.

3. It’s only a KOM if it goes up. What you got was KOd 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

If it’s anything like my KOMs, someone will beat your time by 5 seconds later today then you’ll spend a year never matching your previous best time.

Northwind

0.4 mile strava segment is nothing more than a GPS lottery- the margin for error there is far bigger than the difference in your wheel size 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Over a minute? Better than plenty of segments. There’s a few 6 second ones near me, that is properly stupid!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Well done PMJ!
    The trails truly have come alive.

There’s a few 6 second ones near me, that is properly stupid!

[brag]My favourite KOM is 80km long in 2 hours 40 minutes, 103 riders on it. 😀 [/brag]

But I have also got a 24s one too

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m not posting a link. You’ll all come and take it away from me! I want to bask in my KOM/D glory until the at least the weekend.

timb34
    Free Member

Good work, except that i think you broke Strava – I can’t connect now!

Northwind

njee20 – Member

Over a minute? Better than plenty of segments.

Sure, I mean, the number of Strava segments that are just nonsense is huge.

(I got, I think it was a 6th overall on the Bitch at Glentress, which made me faster than a downhill world champion, a couple of current world cup racers, etc etc. Stupid enough, til I realised I’d stopped near the bottom to fix a fence that had fallen down. Strava rules)

miketually
    Free Member

*humblebrag*
    My three KOMs are 12.2km, 1.3km and 2.5km long.
    */humblebrag*

I did set up a very short segment as a bit of a joke, to see how long I had to wait at a crossing on my commute. The KOM on that is 3 seconds, which is an average speed of 111.4km/h.

In comparison, my 55.7km/h best speed seems slow. Probably still too fast for a pedestrian crossing though 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m not posting a link.

I know where it is. I’m going to drive the 800 mile, 15 hour round trip tonight and steal it from you.

Mwuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu!!!!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I did set up a very short segment as a bit of a joke, to see how long I had to wait at a crossing on my commute. The KOM on that is 3 seconds, which is an average speed of 111.4km/h.

😆

Good work, except that i think you broke Strava – I can’t connect now!

Apologies. I think Strava may have overheated with all the excitement. 😳

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I know where it is. I’m going to drive the 800 mile, 15 hour round trip tonight and steal it from you.

Conditions are lovely at the moment. Enjoy! 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

16 riders on the leaderboard, segment initials “D D”

</stalker>

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have 2* koms, one of which I think may have been set on the drive home without switching off my GPS. I’m only leading by 2 seconds though, so I’m keeping it.

*To illustrate how inaccurate it is, my mate has one on a 5 mile stretch of road. We rode it together, I started behind him and finished in front of him, yet my time is 6 seconds slower 🙁

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

16 riders on the leaderboard, segment initials “D D”

</stalker>

😆

Northwind

tpbiker – Member

I have 2* koms, one of which I think may have been set on the drive home without switching off my GPS. I’m only leading by 2 seconds though, so I’m keeping it.

I think I finally lost my epic “fastest innerleithen push up” KOM 🙁

benp1

I’m the guy that lets all the KOMs feel good about themselves

I’m happy if I’m in the top half of the table!

tthew

I lost my first one yesterday! Got the Uh-oh e-mail, and thought it was strange as I don’t remember any KoM notification. Even when I looked at the ride I won it on, it doesn’t list it as an achievement. Strava is pretty random sometimes.

From Delamere Gresty’s Waste car park up to the Eddisbury Hill monument thing. I’ve got my CX bike in the back of the van and have to drive past on the way home later. Might have a shot at taking it back. 😀

I’ve bagged two in the last two days – both descents though. I feel they were worthy though – felt good on the bike.

I’ve had a couple more that have since been taken and one climb that still stands – however the climb is quite obvious in the fact that no one else triggered the start properly/rose round in circles

miketually
    Free Member

I set up a new segment yesterday, which I have the KOM on. Someone else has ridden it faster, and it shows up as a segment on their ride (they did it 5 seconds faster than me), but they don’t appear on the leaderboard at all.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

I’m the guy that lets all the KOMs feel good about themselves

I’m happy if I’m in the top half of the table!

I am with Ben on this one. Its all about mid table mediocrity with me

bigjim

the Bitch at Glentress

Is it that one or one of the other short twisty black sections that has a KOM doing something like 40mph and everyone else under 20?

If anyone fancies a crack at the Falla Brae KOM there are some EPIC strava shortcuts appearing there now, I mean missing entire sections of turns.

hooli

Its all about mid table mediocrity with me

Agreed, now all I need to do is make it to the middle of the table 😆

woodsman
    Free Member

Pah – got plenty Koms and I only ride 26, imagine how awesome I’d be if I had big wheels! 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…some EPIC strava shortcuts appearing…

Why do people do this? 👿

Pah – got plenty Koms and I only ride 26, imagine how awesome I’d be if I had big wheels!

😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I got my first Strava KOM this morning’ is closed to new replies.