• This topic has 51 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • I got called a **** by a roadie the other night
  • Pook

waiting to cross a road on a blind bend, I looked left, looked right, looked left again and started to cross (on my bike, going to a bridleway over the road), suddenly a specialized blue and white clad roadie comes hairing round the corner as I'm crossing, brakes, avoids me completely, i wasn't even in his lane, calls me a t**t, gives me the w***** sign and carries on his merry way.
    I just shouted back "Calm yourself down mate, we're all out enjoying ourselves" and laughed it off.

Poor bloke can't even relax on an evening ride.

scaredypants

maybe it was someone who knows you?

😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'd have sprinted after him and cut him up good and proper 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You made him shat his nice white lycra, what do you expect? He'll have to spend hours scrubbing his gusset now.

G
    Free Member

A case of Pot Kettle Black Syndrome I believe. Probably rushing home for his EPO booster.

Pook

scaredypants – Member

😥

timber

the tour is on, for now they all ride 'round thinking they are Lance/Cavendish/Cancelara/Boonen/Contador/Schlek out for the win, leading the breakaway from the breakaway

jimmy

scaredypants – Member

hehehe

ski
    Free Member

maybe he was lost, are any of the TDF riders missing?

😉

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

'round thinking they are Lance/Cavendish/Cancelara/Boonen/Contador/Schlek out for the win

funny you should say that – when I'm out on my road bike I think that I'm an old fat bloke who should know better and out for the next shot of ventalin

juan
    Free Member

LOL @ anotherdeadhero

jackthedog
    Free Member

You should have owned his back doors in with a pair of bombers.

samuri
    Free Member

the tour is ace. It gets loads of overweight, unfit idiots like this out on their bikes thinking they're lance because they do 20 miles at the weekend and they're all up for a race. It's target rich environment and is mucho fun.

SiB
    Free Member

Well donr for keeping your cool, I would have thrown by bike at the **** as he was flying past me hoping the BB would tw*t him in the mouth, the a*sehole. There's no need………….although I did have to call a pedestrian a fkn d*ck this morning for stepping out in to the road making me skid to a halt on a busy road!

ourmaninthenorth

Middle aged IT guy crosses road on blind bend into the path of oncoming traffic and is surprised the first person who has to take evasive action as a result calls him a tw*t.

Welcome to the glasshouse.

😀

johnners
    Free Member

"I just shouted back "Calm yourself down mate, we're all out enjoying ourselves" and laughed it off."

Laughed it off and then felt you had to post about it 18 hours later?

And you should sort your Green Cross Code out before you get yourself killed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why oh why do people feel the need to be bigotted about cyclists? Pathetic.

Maybe the guy is a mountainbiker out on a road ride? Maybe it's not as clear cut as the OP suggests – he says it's a blind corner…I know I would react if I saw a ped crossing the road in this circumstance.

Oh and SiB gets "internet hard man" of the thread!

Dougal
    Free Member

Got to love the tour with all the wannabies around. Have torn various fat punters a new one this week. Obviously as a 59kg whippet, there's not much glory in this, but it is pretty satisfying.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh and SiB gets "internet hard man" of the thread!

cynic-al gets "PC liberal of the thread"

I get "read the thread but not really interested". Would've called him a w*nker myself though.

Keva
    Free Member

waiting to cross a road on a blind bend…

bit risky I reckon.

Kev

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have torn various fat punters a new one this week.

LOL. I bet you're not very fast and don't race seriously?

foxyrider
    Free Member

WOW such a lot ot tesosterone fueled discussion here – OOh Crikey DM.

njee20
    Free Member

Dougal would put virtually all on here to shame sadly, as I suspect you know!

I agree with cynic-al's original comment though, you crossed the road on a blind bend, got sworn at, and it's his fault?

Maybe next time it'll be a lorry, true Darwinism in action! Like to see you post about that afterwards.

Pook

Middle aged IT

[quote][/quote] guy crosses road on blind bend into the path of oncoming traffic and is surprised the first person who has to take evasive action as a result calls him a tw*t.

Welcome to the glasshouse. [/quote]

me – 27 year old journalist. Not IT type.

Blind bend, silence, crossed fast, he didn't have to evade me.

Keva – Member

waiting to cross a road on a blind bend…

bit risky I reckon.

Kev

yeah me too. Hence me taking my time to make sure it was clear before I crossed. Not much else I could do as the BW spat me out back on the apex of it.

Laughed it off and then felt you had to post about it 18 hours later?

And you should sort your Green Cross Code out before you get yourself killed.
    When did i say when it was? Green cross code you say? Stop, look listen?
    Stopped. Looked. Listened. Nothing. Crossed. Fat IT lycra upped nobber comes round corner. Nowhere near me. No chance of collision. Still calls me a t***

Pieface

Its because he was a roadie.

Pieface

Whats with all this talk of roadies being unfriendly? When I'm on the road bike I get as few MTBrs saying hi as I do roadies saying hi when I'm on a MTB, as I do MTBrs when I'm on a MTB. Roadies to roadies are far friendlier though.

BigDummy
    Free Member

When did i say when it was?

In the thread title? 😀

aP
    Free Member

On the whole people who get called **** tend to deserve it, or else like it like that.

johnners
    Free Member

Pook

"When did i say when it was?" – well, "Poor bloke can't even relax on an evening ride." gives us a fair idea. Then you posted about an hour ago.

And whether you're listening or not, it's Look Right. Look Left. Look Right.

Maybe I'm thinking of the Tufty Club though?

ourmaninthenorth

me – 27 year old journalist

Smash Hits?

Pook

Ok – let's start again.

It was an overcast evening, the sun was just breaking through the clouds dotting ever shifting pools of light across the hills and dales. My bike felt good beneath me, and the ride was going well until, oh woe betide me, the bridleway spat me out into what could only be described as oblivion.
    How was i to know the horrow that would engulf me? How could I have predicted the true darkest of the human mind i was about to be exposed to? How could I have expected to be roast over the flames of my own thread on Singletrack when I deigned to mention it*?.
    The bridleway, oh the clawing bridleway with its tangled mass of overgrown nettles and grasping bramble, spilled out on to the road, its mouth just a tiny aperture in an otherwise inpenetrable morass of hawthorn and gorse.
    The black rubber of my front wheel touched pebble strewn tarmac and i waited.
    I waited as I looked at the scene in front of me; the crest of a hill, road dropping away to my left at my right for the short distance I could see beyond the hedgerow. I was at the very apex of this corner, the road curving sinewously around my position. I was wracked with fear… to dash across in the hope of reaching the sanctuary of the bridleway opposite with luck on myside? To wait patiently, deliberate my crossing, awaiting the silent clue that my passage would be without incident.
    Sensibly i chose the latter, and waited, ears attentively focussing on the tell tell sign of motor, hoof or tyre. The blackbird in the tree chirruped mockingly as I, muddied and sweating, stood, terrified of the tarmac ocean facing me.
    I waited more, still the silence mocked, the blackbird chirruped, and the still, beady cats eyes stared at me incredulously.
    This was my moment, yea, my perfect moment in time, and I strode out towards my goal.
    The monster woke, i had stepped into its territory. I quickly made my way to sanctuary. The monster was getting closer, he was almost on top of me, his mottled, multicoloured skin teeming with the furious sweat of rage.
    Our courses were not set to coincide, and we passed one another without incident, bar the mournful growl of an otherwise passive beast…..
    "you f***** t***",

sod this, I'm bored now.

*scrub that last one. It's always going to happen when "overweight IT types" get bored on a Friday afternoon.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Pure poetry. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Apart from the fact that you're meant to look right, then left, then right again, not left-right-left I'd say you were faultless. But since you clearly dont know your green cross code we can hang you now! 😀

matt_bl
    Free Member

I was going to post something mean about the OP, but when I read he'd been engulfed by a horrow I came over all sympathetic and decided not to.

Horrows are the big ones with the slime aren't they?

Matt

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nice one Pook.
    There's always somebody with a better opinion than whatever you happen to think on STW. Oh yes. They know it ALL….

😉

ourmaninthenorth

More, pook, more.

It's so much more than Smash Hits – at the very least it's Bunty standard.

More, bard, more, I beseech thee.

scraprider
    Free Member

god damn gay pants roadie, piece of bambo through the spokes should sort it next time m8 :mrgreen:

Pook

I was going to post something mean about the OP, but when I read he'd been engulfed by a horrow I came over all sympathetic and decided not to.

Horrows are the big ones with the slime aren't they?

Matt

damnit!

passed my edit window too!

It's so much more than Smash Hits – at the very least it's Bunty standard.

I got sacked from Bunty for giving you the Four Mary's email addresses remember?

ourmaninthenorth

got sacked from Bunty for giving you the Four Mary's email addresses remember?

Shhh. Or they'll all want them.

zangolin
    Free Member

Don't cross the road on a blind bend move further along until you can see – simple.
    What if it was an electric car coming round at 30mph.

I am pretty sure I would have also had utterred a phrase or 2 if I was on my MTB or my road bike.

I guess the road rider in question may have also posted on a road forum in a parllel road universe:
    "There I was out for a nice ride, came round this bend nice + fast (I knew there was no cars cos I coudn't hear any) + some ****** MTB rider (you know the type baggy shorts, peaky helmet, camelbak, hairy legs, grubby looking, etc) was just strolling across the road nearly made me crash + soil my chammy. Shouted some abuse etc….. "

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I got called a **** by a roadie the other night’ is closed to new replies.