Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • I got a pay rise today
  • anagallis_arvensis

Isnt that nice, all I had to do was not go to an interview!

MrSparkle

You’re lucky mate, I’ve not had one for 3 **** years.

Mikkel
    Free Member

I had one a month ago, and it is nice.

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t even have a job, never mind a payrise… 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

a job would be nice.

druidh
    Free Member

My pension just went up by almost 5%.

iDave
    Free Member

you should not go to an interview on monday too, get another rise.

snaps
    Free Member

Yep me as well 2.4% & 4 extra days holiday 😆

CountZero

Hadn’t heard anything at work about a rise, so was resigned to not getting one. Found a letter from work when I got home, said that despite challenging conditions the company was doing well and I had a 3% raise. Not huge, but better than nowt, or a sharp stick in the eye. 😀

ps44
    Free Member

So did I. That is, we all got back the two year voluntary pay cut we took two years ago to keep the company in business. The bleating public sector can go whistle as far as I’m concerned.

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

3.3% rise here, despite the company being on it’s arse (so credit to the boss for that). Still no sign of an overtime rate, sick pay, pension or PPE issue though. Or training, or the exam I was supposed to do at the start of last year which would have qualified me for the role I’ve been doing for the last two years.

Daily wake up thankful for still having a job though. I’ve been cacking myself for the last year or so that i’d have to somehow find a new career, with my non-existent skill set & so much competition it’d be an absolute bastard.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The bleating public sector can go whistle as far as I’m concerned

you would be no use there anyway you require compassion and empathy for your fellow humans

ART

Pay rise .. what’s that then.. 😥 nothing for 3 years, down to 0.6 of my full time salary and company likely to hit the skids by June if my reckoning is correct. End of financial year means the outcasts from the bonfire of quangos amongst others are all hitting a decimated job sector and things are looking tough. Forgive me for not feeling, sounding or being that cheerful for you, although I guess if someone, somewhere is doing OK then there is some hope.

duckman

Well said Junkyard, we have of course,in schools and Further Ed been totally untouched by the last couple of years.

Alcopop
    Free Member

yep no wage rise for three years here either and not looking likely this year or next !!
    times are tough indeed

STATO
    Free Member

you would be no use there anyway you require compassion and empathy for your fellow humans

Hmm, some of them yes, but not the ones who staff my local council tax office, it appears you are required to have no compassion or consideration at all to be considered for that position. Also, a complete unwillingness to work before 9.30 or after 4.30.

Not everyone in the public sector is a hard working nurse/policeman etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Also, a complete unwillingness to work before 9.30 or after 4.30.

Because some people have emergency council tax problems early in the morning or later in the
    evening ?

Well I suppose councils could provide emergency cover for those people. Obviously it would increase people’s council tax bill though.

On the plus side, it would give Mr D. Mail-Reader something more to moan about.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’ve been working since november, and am hoping to start getting paid in the next couple of months… my £150-200/month doesn’t go very far!

🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Because some people have emergency council tax problems early in the morning or later in the
    evening ?

I had to get some forms (they were not available on line) sorted as my council tax rates were too high and they weren’t sorting. despite phone calls. It took 5min once they opened, every other department in the building was open at 8.30. In the end I had to take that time off work to get it sorted.

I know council staff are suffering, my aunts work for a local council office and both were forced to take up long commutes when the local office closed due to a merger with another council. But many people are suffering (just read the posts above) so defending a certain ‘sector’ as all high and mighty is just daft.

Haribo
    Free Member

2.4% and im in the public sector 😯

we have also just given voluntary redundancy to about another 12% of staff, meaning ~25% in two years.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

every other department in the building was open at 8.30.

Assuming that the other departments were also council departments, there might a clue there, ie, council staff do work earlier than 9.30 but perhaps the staff which deals with council tax issues have other work besides dealing with enquiries from the public ?

I doubt whether just one council department is “work-shy” whilst all the other departments aren’t.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

5.1% for me.Sounds good but if you take inflation into acount it’s not a pay rise.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The bleating public sector can go whistle as far as I’m concerned.

Try being a prison officer, go on, I dare you.

avdave2

I had one a few months ago, well at least the money that goes in the bank has gone up. No ones actually told me I’ve had a rise but then again last week marked 15 years with the company and I’m yet to have my 3 month trial period assesment.

flip
    Free Member

Picked up a super lucrative Saudi job today…

Totally suprised and amazed that some (Middle Easern people) have so much money.

I’m a self employed Handyman. They wanna pay me, i’ll take it!!

fatmax

I got 5.6% today, on top of a salary I was happy with, so very happy and very grateful. Wor lass is in the public sector and isn’t so lucky – no pay rise, massive ‘voluntary severance’ cut, and a boss who is an utter prick.

avdave2

I’m a self employed Handyman. They wanna pay me, i’ll take it!!

I think you’ll find you used to be a handyman , now your a sniper.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

1% and “happy” with it given the firm’s position. Glad to still have a job.

aracer
    Free Member

No payrise for me this year. In fact I’m expecting a substantial pay cut next month. But on the plus side I should be getting an extra 176 days a year holiday.

Junkyard
    Free Member

defending a certain ‘sector’ as all high and mighty is just daft.

Who is doing this? Who has used these words but you?
    Do you have sympathy for public sector workers who are being made redundant or do you think the bleating public sector can go whistle?

partyboy
    Free Member

Do you have sympathy for public sector workers who are being made redundant or do you think the bleating public sector can go whistle?

No and yes, public sector workers should try working in the private sector, wouldn’t last very long in the real world.

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

partyboy – Member

No and yes, public sector workers should try working in the private sector, wouldn’t last very long in the real world.

ah, brings back happy memories: racing office chairs up and down the racking aisles, leather-knife darts, the wall of art, fitters popping down for half an hour’s chatting under the guise of needing a spare part, doing my Open University homework on the night shift, the poker school run by the other night shift.
    Damn you British-American Tobacco, you worked us like slaves.

zokes
    Free Member

FAIL

For years the public sector has been paid less than equivalent jobs in the private sector, but the recompense for this was better conditions, better pension and better job security. Just because you lot in the private sector searching for your millions have found that you might actually be willing to forgo your salary for better security, conditions and pension now it’s gone belly-up, don’t come bleating on here about it.

spooky_b329

We accepted a 39 month deal last year worth just around 3% a year, so can’t complain. The Union messed up the Ballot somehow and it was withdrawn, so we never found out whether we were headed for strike or not.

Much better than the pittance + a non-consolidated bonus that they were trying to implement despite remaining profitable and pushing through contract changes and cost cutting. The previous year we didn’t get a pay rise, just a non-consolidated bonus of around £400.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I know exactly who that company are spooky, should be interesting next year because the 3% was negotiable depending on inflation

Pretty sure that ballot would have been in favour of strike action, amazed me that people would withdraw their labour for a few quid yet signed their terms and conditions away for nothing.

36 years is more than enough and its pension time for me then off to do a degree as a mature student.

Hope it doesn’t get any worse for the rank and file, just remember treat everything they say as a lie and you won’t go far wrong

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tell us more about the real world, sounds intriguing.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You should have all done better at school and uni rather than coming on here moaning about your paltry pay rises! 😉

juanking

15% rise for me but having said that I am worth it. Private sector and oil company, business has been worse!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now there’s gratitude for you.

The worldwide global recession was caused by a cataclysmic failure in the private sector.

Greed and incompetence within the private sector, had a devastating effect which caused millions around the world to lose their jobs and robbed many others of much of their pay and conditions.

The UK government, in keeping with many other governments around the world, tried to minimise the effects of the worse global recession since the 1930s by protecting the public sector.

The aim was to limit the recession to only the private sector whilst keeping the public sector afloat. This would not only protect a substantial portion of the economy, but it would also throw a lifeline to the private sector.

It worked. Had both the private and public sectors gone into recession, and had contraction occurred right across the whole of the economy, the consequences for Britain would have catastrophic.

Not only that, but it did indeed also throw a lifeline to the private sector, and helped preserve jobs, wages, and conditions within that sector. The construction industry which is always the first to suffer in a recession for example, managed to stay reasonably afloat as a direct result of the public sector. In fact the very modest growth towards the end of last year was put down solely to economic activity driven by construction (activity in construction effects more sectors than any other industry : carpets, curtains, domestic appliances, horticulture, electrical components, etc, etc)

Moreover it worked so well that many are blissfully unaware that we have just experienced the worse economic calamity for nearly 70 years.

Unfortunately those champions and great exponents of the private sector, the Tories, despite having been rejected by a substantial majority of the British people, have managed to overcome their lack of support by doing shabby and squalid deal with a very small party of political prostitutes, and have crawled their way back into power.

And today the Eton educated privileged sons of wealthy bankers and illegitimate descendants of royalty, are wreaking their revenge on the public sector and British welfare provisions which they despise so much.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Jaunking gets a 15% rise. Fnarr fnarr.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘I got a pay rise today’ is closed to new replies.