Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I got a letter from the government the other day
  • gecko76

Are there any online tools to blur/pixelate/whatever name, address etc?

AlexSimon

I opened and read it, it said they were suckers

gecko76

Pretty much 😀

h4muf
    Free Member

Alex,was just gonna write that! #Tricky.

Drac

Yes, also inbuilt on phones or you can just put a piece of paper over it.

eulach

Public Enemy, but they don’t come from Bristol.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[pedant]#Public Enemy.[/pedant]

sirromj

Did they want you for their army or whatever?

kayak23

Picture me giving a damn, I said never.

gecko76

This is a land that clearly gives a damn.

Can’t lay my hands on the actual letter now, and it wasn’t the other day but about five years ago when I got called for jury service. Wrote back saying with two kids under two and additional responsibilities at work now wasn’t a good time. THEY wrote back saying sorry and I wouldn’t be asked again. Ever.

Result.

Except now I’m thinking I could do it, and clearly should do it.

WWSTWD?

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUqdrkpsIho[/video]

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Blurring can be deblurred 😆

Cougar

Open in Paint, Rectangle tool, overwrite. That’s within even my laughable graphic manipulation skills.

gecko76

Went with Drac’s solution.

So, do I let them know I’m available or would that be a daft thing to do?

redthunder
    Free Member

Defo daft.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Kind of depends on how you feel about being on a jury doesn’t it?

I’ve always fancied it, but a mate of mine got stuck on a trial for bloody weeks, made life a bit hard, his employer didn’t want to pay him, the allowance from the court wasn’t great and it was boring as hell. I’d say verdict wasn’t quite as unanimous as it might have seemed as the idea of staying around longer was less palatable than arguing it.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

What’s going on with that date?

rmacattack
    Free Member

f@*k that. why would you you even want to do it? the justice system is broke anyways. if a few random general public people come to a decision the judge will just give a crappy pre brexit sentence anyways.

bruneep

bigblackheinoustoe – Member
    What’s going on with that date?

about five years ago when I got called for jury service.

Do people not read now 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Blurring can be deblurred

Anas Sarwar, current Scottish Labour leadership candidate, recently put his tax return online with boxes drawn over the names, addresses etc. Only it was a PDF, so you could still copy and paste all the details from under the boxes…

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 that’s class!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Sounds about right 😯 😆

Edited jpeg always.

sbob
    Free Member

rmacattack – Member

f@*k that. why would you you even want to do it?

What do we want?

Justice!

When do we want it?

Well, as soon as someone else can sort it out for me, I can’t really be arsed.
    🙄

batfink
    Free Member

obvious answer is obvious: depends if you want to do it or not.

My own Jury service was a total waste of my (and everyone else’s) time. Hours on end sitting around in something akin to a GP waiting room, counting down the hours until an over officious public-sector librarian type tells you can go to lunch/home for the day.

The case I was eventually assigned to (two chavs issuing veiled threats to each other – apparently a serious crime) sat for a day and a half, then got thrown out by the judge for a technicality.

I agree that we should all be willing to do it – but my advice is to duck-out if you can

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

the judge will just give a crappy pre brexit sentence anyways.

What’s that you’ve made up now???
    🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

So the point is that the letter took five years to arrive?

Yo better tell dem suckas whut time it is, boooooy!

wwaswas

about five years ago when I got called for jury service.

is bruneep also gecko76?

The jury’s out…

oldbloke
    Free Member

I did, years ago, get out of it for valid reasons – lots of international travel booked for work. And then later I was unemployed for 8 months so thought that was a good time to try and do it when I hadn’t much else on, so wrote to them and offered.

They waited until about 3 years after that when I really couldn’t afford time out to do it. And it took a battle of wills to get it changed from being at High Court to Sheriff Court.

So, offer all you like, but don’t expect any sort of sense to apply.

wwaswas

My epxerience;

1) got the letter in May – service early October
    2) phoned asked if I could do the school holidays as it was easier for child/dog care – was rescheduled to mid August.
    3) Got a call mid July – did I want to change dates, they had 3 different start dates I could have instead.

I wonder if they struggle to get jurors during the summer (at least where I am)?

The case was domestic violence and rape. Possibly one of the most difficult week and a bit of my life, the evidence, the responsibility, trying to reach consensus in the deliberations.

Would I try and get out of it if called again? No – it was difficult but the victims and accused both deserve a trial by jury and it’s all of our responsibilities to provide that. The ‘state’ doesn’t actually demand much from us bar taxes and this seems a small thing we can each do to provide a justice system we’d want to be tried by.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I got a letter from the government the other day’ is closed to new replies.