Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I get the feeling of having a lump in my throat after intensive 1 hour rides
  • Frisky
    Free Member

I get the feeling of having a lump in my throat it’s almost anxiety related in the way it feels. I drink plenty of water so that’s not it. Could be food or lack of. These are almost race pace 1 hour rides I do and when I get home it hurts to swallow food a little but the main discomfort comes from hot tea which is really unpleasant. Does anyone else get it?

berni
    Free Member

whilst I’m not an ent bod, I work close to that area. Sounds like you are too tense! not much else can go wrong there. Swallowing is by muscle action, so that explains the post ride pain, not sure about the hot tea though. I would suggest taking a decent whisky on each ride, having a nip with your buddies half way round and trying not to tense the upper body, may sound daft but I prescribe a similar treatment for far more painful conditions!

theboatman
    Free Member

Acid reflux? can cause that lump in the throat feeling, and can make eating uncomfortable (especially very hot or cold things). Also can come along with anxiety type feelings, and the great thing is the more you worry about it the more anxious you get, seemingly exasberating those physical symptoms. Have a chat with your GP, if it is acid reflux there will be some inflamation, and if not he may have another idea.

Frisky
    Free Member

Sorry correction it’s not the act of swallowing, it’s actually the sensation of food going down my oesophagus. It will get better as I’ve had it before after a xc race last summer and it isn’t very nice.

berni
    Free Member

reflux causes a lower pain that is of a burning nature, if it is of sufficient volume to get to the throat you would know what was going on.

berni
    Free Member

ok,
    burning on food travelling down is more reflux, good call boatman. Better off swapping the whisky for some baileys!!!

theboatman
    Free Member

Or whiskey with a gaviscon chaser 😉

Frisky
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll look into it. It is inflammation, I’m pretty sure of that.

berni
    Free Member

do not take any ibuprofen type pain killers!! Make sure you eat before a ride as thi swill reduce the gut acid ( 2 hours ideally) and follow with a milk drink. You can get chewable antacids which may help during the ride.

sq225917
    Free Member

What berni said…

MrNutt
    Free Member

sounds like reflux, get to the doctor, it may be h-poli in which case its easily cured, alternatively it could be the beginnings of GORD, in that case, welcome to the club! its a shit state of affairs which involes taking PPI’s for the rest of your life and always “having a lump in your throat”, and if you’re really really lucky it can develop into Barratts oesophagus which comes with a “potential cancer” bonus!

I HATE IT.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I get the feeling of having a lump in my throat after intensive 1 hour rides’ is closed to new replies.