Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • I fancy trying a Surly Krampus
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I fancy trying a Surly Krampus for a demo; I’m in Sussex and can’t find anywhere locally that might have one for demo. I’m 5’10 so it would need to be a medium or possibly a large.

Any ideas?

Paceman

riddoch

I liked the idea of the krampus so much I went for the singular rooster. Your welcome to have a try in November 🙂
    I don’t think there is any local dealers unfortunately.

riddoch

They also don’t come up on eBay very often to give one a try by the buying and selling on route. I think there is an XL one on just now but a bit big.

TimP
    Free Member

I tried a Surly Pugsley large and if I was buying I would get a medium, but as you know I prefer my bikes a bit smaller. I only had about 3-4″ of seatpost showing though

Go see Charlie next time you are in Dorset!

gee
    Free Member

I *think* there might be a demo one at Bikefest this weekend. You could ring Ison and ask?

lamo
    Free Member

Give freedom bikes in brighton a call. They are surly stockists

simonk
    Free Member

Quite a hike down the coast but Charlie the Bike Monger in Swannage might be able to help, he makes good coffee too.

gringojimi
    Free Member

Ison are throwing a Surly and Salsa demo day up at EDS Bikes near Dalby Forest on 15th June.

Twodogs

Moose Cycles have a large one in their demo fleet…Collier Wood in S London….might be a bit far

Paceman
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some potentially useful suggestions there.

TimP, I have a feeling from previous experience I might be somewhere between a medium and a large but my current hardtail is a medium and seems around the same top tube length as the medium Krampus.

Riddoch, the Singular Rooster would be a viable alternative but again i’d rather demo one before splashing out.

TimP
    Free Member

Your cooker looks MASSIVE for a medium! Maybe it is just the big wheels

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a Krampus – it’s great, don’t believe the bollocks about Knards being shit

Paceman
    Free Member

TimP – Member
    Your cooker looks MASSIVE for a medium! Maybe it is just the big wheels

Yeah the Charge Cooker is old school retro skinny tubed with a long reach and standover. The medium Krampus is very slightly longer in geometry so should be perfect with a short stem and wide bars.

gee
    Free Member

Just confirmed – Surly will have a 17″ and 19″ Krampus for testing at Bikefest.

GB

takisawa2

Swinnertons at Cannock Chase have a large one on their demo / hire bike fleet.
    I hired it out last summer.
    A couple of us tried it, & thought it was ace.
    Expected it to be slow, & a bit lethargic even, but it was a right hoot.

akasteve
    Free Member

I’m 5’10, got a medium Krampus and it’s a perfect size. Got a 50mm stem on it.
    Plenty of room to move around and perfect riding position( for me anyway).
    I’m nowhere near Sussex so am no help demo wise. As said above CTBM is probably your best bet unless you are near Cambridge at anytime as I think Billys Bikes has a medium in.
    It’s a hooligan machine, I love it!

ajantom

Sizewise go for smaller than you think. I’m 6ft and have a medium Krampus, and it’s spot on with a 70mm stem and 720 bars. You need a fair amount of leverage for those wheels 😉
    Knards are great in the dry, and ok in the wet. It’s just really claggy conditions they’re not great in. I fitted some On-One 2.4 Chunky Monkeys in the depths of winter, and they come up huuuge on the 50mm rims.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and our large demo is a perfect fit for me (funny coincidence, see… :-))

I’d guess a medium would be your size unless you like a longer bike.

We can send out our demo bike so if you don’t get any luck locally and fancy trying a large, give us a shout!

cupra
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and have a medium with Jones loops bars, it was running a 70mm stem but have just put a longer one on as the loops bar come back a bit further. I had one before and sold it, regretted it and so built up another. Knards are better than you think as well although more tyre choice would be good.

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers guys, great advice, it sounds like a medium would be perfect for me.

traversbikes
    Free Member

Hi at Travers Bikes we produce 2 29er plus frames both are titanium, 1 is a single speed specific called the “Angus” after the current single speed world champion (which he has just won the dutch national single speed champs on) and the other is a more traditional geared frame called the “Rudy Fat” you can check out the range on our website Travers Bikes or you can see them in the flesh at eds bikes in North Yorkshire (they currently have our fat bike on display) or the 29er shop in Denmark.

I will also be at a number of events during the summer…we are a friendly bunch pop on over for a chat and a test ride.

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

neil’s wheels in east molesey (surrey) had a lovely krampus in the window last time I looked.

qwerty
    Free Member

EEeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeekk !!!!!!!!!

😯

Paceman
    Free Member

I nearly spat my tea out when I saw the Krampus appear on the screen 😆

Paceman
    Free Member

Took a punt, I’ve not been disappointed…

big_scot_nanny

Nice wheels! 🙂

wwaswas

That picture doesn’t do the paintwork justice, it’s lovely 🙂

chambord
    Free Member

Nice looking lavender as well

dirtyrider
    Free Member

crocodilian
    Free Member

We’re posting pics now? Good.

Size wise, I’m about 6’3″ and that’s an XL. Looooong legs hence the radical saddle height.

ajantom

I’ll play along 😉 here’s mine in a couple of guises….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e3WJiu]Surly Krampus after 1st ride[/url] by silly-boy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fM3dDz]Kramp'sus 1[/url] by silly-boy, on Flickr

RustySpanner

I wish people would be open minded enough to try more bikes like this.
    Proper design innovation, as opposed to the marketing lead mess that the market has become.

They look like fun, should last for ever and you can service them with a spoon.

And if anyone from Merlin is reading, can we have an 853 version for two thirds of the price please?

Paceman
    Free Member

That Kramp’sus look like fun Ajantom 🙂

ajantom

It is 😀 Though it was a bit of a faff getting the Maverick fork to fit – had to machine an extension for the standard steerer bung, and make my own longer travel reducers. Works well though.

Paceman
    Free Member

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘I fancy trying a Surly Krampus’ is closed to new replies.