Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I fancy trying a race!
  • mwazzer
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into doing a race after talking to friends who do them (they ride on the road but say competing is good fun and a nice way to focus riding) and watching bits and pieces!

The question is which one?!

I like the idea of the mini enduros, but I don’t know how hard they’re going to be, and if I’m jumping into something I don’t really know about?

I’m riding a stumpjumper FSR, and I don’t think I am too unfit!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just dive in and race whichever you fancy, it’ll be reet. I’ve raced DH, ENDURO, XC and on the road, 99.5% of everyone racing will only snigger behind your back unless you really are shit 😉

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The mini Enduro type events are really fun and relaxed. Would recommend them if you like descents.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I’ve raced for over 20 years so have done virtually every type of MTB discipline and can honestly say I’ve never experienced any ill feeling from any other participants.

Regardless of your standard other competitors are generally supportive, happy to help and there for the same reasons you are.

Just choose a race that you think sounds fun and go for it.

mwazzer
    Free Member

Cheers! I’ll try and do the mini enduro at the Forest of Dean then 😀

Just have to wait for full details to be released in January about the 2015 ones!

smatkins1
    Free Member

I did my first couple of races this summer, an XC endurance race and a DH race. Loved it! Already lining up more for next year.

the-muffin-man

The question is which one?!

If you are at a decent level of fitness right now, then look out for a local cycle-cross race as a toe-dipping exercise. Most local series let MTBs race.

The races are short, over simple courses, there’s always someone to race with no matter where you are in the field. And unless you are over 80 you are guaranteed not to come last!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I shall hopefully be doing that race as well mwazzer see you there! Wonder if T-Mo will race it again and beat most of the the men 😉

germolene
    Free Member

Whats this like “enduro at the Forest of Dean” . I like the single track type racing with as little fire tracks and bridle ways as poss.

mtbel
    Free Member

Try a Sportive.
    These are just like races. A grand starting/finishing area, feed stations, you even get a race number, a time and sometimes a little trophy or medal at the end. Everyone’s a winner! They also often cost a lot more to enter than actual real races but it’s well worth it as sportives are full of people who have zero clue how to ride in a race for you to “beat”. don’t worry too much about not having a road bike as there will almost always be some **** with something to prove off a cycling forum riding his fatbike with 800mm bars so you’ll be well under the radar on your normal mtb.

Metasequoia

Have a go at one, you will be fine-it’s all great fun. Ignore people being cynical here!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

The mtb racing fraternity has got to be one of the friendliest groups of people in the country. You get the elite through to the absolute beginners and we’re all just there to have fun and try to win some mini battles within little groups of similar ability riders.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I fancy trying a race!’ is closed to new replies.