Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • I don’t use my gears, can I be a SSer please?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I am planning to try being some sort of ‘chelsea’/beginner singlespeeder.
    -currently no beard (though i could produce photographs of both big beard and jesus-like hair)
    -will be singlespeeding a shamelessly aluminium xc race frame.
    -with a mech hanger/tensioner, and cog/spacer on 9 speed freehub.
    -and a suspension fork.
    -and though i posess a hipflask of rum, i am the worst even-slightly-tipsy rider ever.
    -oh and its a bit hilly round here. I anticipate either getting calves of steel, ruined knees or pushing a lot.

go on, should i bother?

That’ss prettymuch what I have apart from a Merlin Malt1 frame doesn’t really qualify as a race frame, but sure is xc.

I have suspension forks, tensioner, spacers on a 9speed rim and disk brakes. True singlespeeders often try to spit at me as I go past, but it catches in their beards (I just have stubble).

In all seriousness though, I do believe singlespeeding has improved my riding. I seem to be conditioning myslef to always taking the faster line, so I absolutely fly when I am on the geared bike at weekends. Using the best lines and momentum, combined with gears does make the ride more enjoyable, and although I always tried to do this before, since riding singlespeed it is more natural for me.

It is soul destroying on a windy day though

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘I don’t use my gears, can I be a SSer please?’ is closed to new replies.