Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I can't get my xtr cranks off….
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

do i need a special tool? cause i need to fiddle the bb spacing on my new bike,if so what do i need?
    thanks
    Bruce

sheldona
    Free Member

You'll need the XTR crank removal tool if its the M970 chainset you have.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Which XTR? IIRC on the newer (M970) there is some sort of cap thing that needs to be removed? possibly….

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member
    bikerbruce
    Free Member

yeah the 970…

doug_basqueMTB.com

That's what you need ^^^^ what chunkyMTB said. It should have come with your cranks. Did you buy them 2nd hand?

You remove the wee plastic thing (that's just there to protect the threads) using the lugs on the tool, then screw the tool in and then unscrew the allen bolt on the cranks.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

no it didnt come with them I got them brand spankin new from merlin…

bikerbruce
    Free Member

so should i have got one?

doug_basqueMTB.com

aye, you should have got one I think. I got mine of CRC and it came with the tool.

teaandbiscuits
    Free Member

brand spankin new from merlin

you wouldn't get tools with oem shimano stuff

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Probably grey imports don't come with the tool.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, my Merlin XTRs came wrapped in bubble wrap with no tools, clearly OEM, but cheap as chips, so who cares! I had one anyway from a legit set!

Tool's not exactly pricey, so you're still quids in!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

I got my kit boxed up…not oem,Still the groupset was pretty cheap.

Denis99
    Free Member

bikerbruce

I've got a spare removal tool for sale if you're interested?

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Just be careful when your removing them. As stated above you remove the plastic screw in washer ONLY, then screw in the tool and use the allen bolt in the cranks to pull the arm off.

If you remove the metal washer/bolt/plastic washer and try to screw the tool in it gets jammed (as I found out) and is a p.i.t.a to remove again 👿

RichPenny
    Free Member

You need this, and some of this:

foxyrider
    Free Member

I didn't get one on my XTR crank purchase – if its boxed you should have got one if its oem then no. You need the tool above. one side removes the nylon spacer and the otherside screws into the crank arm, you then use an allen key to remove the nut which in turn (d.t. the screwed in tool) extracts the crank off the axle.

EDIT: You cannot remove the cranks with the tool not even with elbow grease and a large hammer 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

I can remove anything with a lump hammer 😀

Sadly, this includes skin, or if I'm unlucky something not supposed to be removed 🙁

dans160
    Free Member

What drives me nuts is that the M960 was a dream to fit and remove, very simple. The newer and apparently better M970 is utter sh1te to fit and remove. A massive step backwards IMHO. Looks alright though.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Ive got the tool.
    jobs done….first ride tomorow,
    thanks
    Guys

druidh
    Free Member

dans160 – Member
    What drives me nuts is that the M960 was a dream to fit and remove, very simple. The newer and apparently better M970 is utter sh1te to fit and remove.

I really can't imagine anything much simpler.

dans160
    Free Member

I can.

GavinB

Rich Penny – have you ever removed XTR cranks with a hammer? You haven't have you? Its the tools described, along with an allen key to extract the NDS crank – then you can use the tools you describe! 🙂

Starting with the hammer would be a little hasty!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I can't get my xtr cranks off….’ is closed to new replies.