Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • I can't believe I've only just got round to using Spotify….
  • Obviously I’ve known of it’s existence for years, but just got Premium yesterday and I can’t stop using it.

Currently trawling through The 101 Most Amazing Songs of 2014 by Spotify and got S Note open on my Galaxy Note, scribbling down artists.

Ace!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wait… why scribble them down?

Because I’ve got it running in the background on my laptop whilst reading nonsense on here and monitoring the playlist on my phone – I could just add each song I like, but for now I’m just noting artists to go and check out their albums

joshvegas
    Free Member

Just star the songs on your phone which is synced to what your mac is playing?

nickc

I love spotify. Ace bit of kit 😀

jimster01

It is rather superb, we tend to listen to it more than the radio these days,Mrs complains about there being too much talking and not enough music.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cant get my head around the app but then im used to deezer

drewd

I’ve just signed up to Premium too, I had never used it until last week. I am liking it so far, seems easy enough to use.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Spotify + sonos (other wireless speaker set ups are available I’m sure) + app on phone has got us listening to way more music.

I think I’ve listened to more (new to me) music in the last two nights, than I did all last year

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve been using it since it was invite only, i think its the only time i’ve been ahead of the curve!

convert

Currently a few weeks into their 3months premium subscription for 99p offer.

I’m torn. It’s been fun hunting around but I’ve mostly been playing stuff from my youth that I never owned or had on cassette/vinyl. I just don’t know if I’m ready to pay for access for basically ever. I can’t get my head around the concept that if I find an album I like through spotify that I currently don’t own I’ve got to keep on paying for it to the end of my days to be able to play it. My head is still wedded to the old fashioned music buying model. I’m also a creature of habit with a pretty big physical (now ripped into itunes) music collection and I know deep down I’ll use spotify to play stuff I already own 90% of the time once I’ve got over the novelty.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You aren’t paying to listen to that album the rest of your life. You are listening to any album you at any time anywhere in the world.

I easily purchased 3 or 4 albums a month when cds were the norm most of them sit in a box and are never played or listened to on spotify.

Streaming allows your tastes to wander as you please without tying you to past listening. But you can go back whenever you want.

Unless you want to listen to the beatles. But i can’t see that lasting much longer I think they might slip into history they don’t wise up.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Just a tip, go into settings and enable the higher quality streaming.

jimster01

Unless you want to listen to the beatles.

Think AC/DC is more of a loss IMHO.

spooky_b329

Love it… You can also leave your phone plugged into whatever method you use for multiroom, and use another device on the same account to control the tunes remotely.

I’ve just discovered the true power of OK Google and that works great in the car…OK Google, play something by Royksopp will open the app, search and then play what it chooses. You may have to finish with ‘using Spotify’ but either it’s learnt my preferred music player or made an assumption if I don’t specify the app.

sadexpunk

I’m torn. It’s been fun hunting around but I’ve mostly been playing stuff from my youth that I never owned or had on cassette/vinyl. I just don’t know if I’m ready to pay for access for basically ever. I can’t get my head around the concept that if I find an album I like through spotify that I currently don’t own I’ve got to keep on paying for it to the end of my days to be able to play it. My head is still wedded to the old fashioned music buying model. I’m also a creature of habit with a pretty big physical (now ripped into itunes) music collection and I know deep down I’ll use spotify to play stuff I already own 90% of the time once I’ve got over the novelty.

You aren’t paying to listen to that album the rest of your life. You are listening to any album you at any time anywhere in the world.

I easily purchased 3 or 4 albums a month when cds were the norm most of them sit in a box and are never played or listened to on spotify.

Streaming allows your tastes to wander as you please without tying you to past listening. But you can go back whenever you want.
    spose im in the same place. i understand and agree with both points, but i dont spend any money on music these days really so itd just be an extra cost for something i dont feel id need. im quite happy listening to 6 music ‘in the background’ both at home and in car, and the times when i actually feel like listening to an album or something specific are so few and far between that its probably just not worth signing up to it.
    i agree it IS good tho, the ability to just play anything anywhere when it pops into your head, its just not worth that monthly cost to me.

drewd

I signed up to it with the intention of listening to as many albums that I have considered buying but not bought, and creating a list of the albums I would like to own. Once the three months is up I intend to cancel it as like others I don’t want to pay £9.99 per month.

I do like that I am able to download music to my phone for offline listening though, that’s very handy for work.

Stoner
    Free Member

EXACTLY what sadexpunk said. to the last word.

I cant justify a google music sub or spotify sub when I dont buy music to equal or more value already.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sure thats fair enough. I don’t have a tv licence (no tv) so that covers it and i spend way more on cbips and booze so there are better savings else where for me 🙂

convert

I guess this is our difference and why like Stoner and co I’d struggle to justify it at full price – I probably don’t tend to buy 3 or 4 albums a year any more let alone a month so a subscription would represent quite a marked increase in music spending.

As an aside – is there any way to modify your past listening based recommendations? Putting it on in the background playing family friendly christmas dross has seriously effected my apparent musical taste – I keep being recommended Bing Crosby !

peterfile
    Free Member

Loving the “I’m not really that into music so I can’t really justify it” comments 🙂

Probably the same reason why I don’t have a season ticket for Rangers.

ktaylor
    Free Member

I got a load of Spotify credit for birthday and Christmas presents. Thing is I tend to want to get my money’s worth so listen to all manner of stuff that I wouldn’t normally. I mean it is incredible I can listen to almost anything in the world ever recorded for a measly tenner! However deep down I think I’d just prefer to listen to the music I’ve already bought. My music tastes haven’t changed all that much and I’ve got a pretty good selection.

Stoner
    Free Member

Loving the “I’m not really that into music so I can’t really justify it” comments

everyone listens to music, everyone buys albums. Its a matter of quantity.

A closer analogy than yours is that I watch Worcester Warriors matches with my son (for our sins) but not enough to justify a season ticket.

sadexpunk

Loving the “I’m not really that into music so I can’t really justify it” comments

if that was a response to me and stoner, thats definitely not what was stated. im really into my music, most definitely. love it. just that the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when 6 music play the old punk songs, and i like the mix of songs like that, plus the total variety of music you get on that station. stuff i wouldnt choose on spotify, but get to hear on the radio. punk, country, soul, reggae, electro, i could go on and on. the only thing they dont seem to play is the sh*t thats in the charts these days, the sort of boy band/dj/beyonce drivel that youd find on capital, or 4music tv channel, so thats perfect for me.

so, ive got my own music collection thats ripped to portable HD, connected to music system, for when i want something specific. but 99% of the time im happy with that eclectic mixture that 6 music brings.

oh, if the comment wasnt aimed at me/stoner, then sorry, ignore all that 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

everyone listens to music, everyone buys albums. Its a matter of quantity.
    A closer analogy than yours is that I watch Worcester Warriors matches with my son (for our sins) but not enough to justify a season ticket.

I get that, but if you’re picking up fewer than 10 bits of new music a year, isn’t it fairly obvious that unlimited access to music is probably a bit of a waste? 🙂

However, if the reason someone was only picking up a few new bits of music a year was because of cost…then spotify can represent excellent value for money.

stuff i wouldnt choose on spotify

That’s obviously a good reason. Like not wanting to buy a Rangers season ticket because you support Celtic 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

With all those grammatical errors Stoner ? Malvernista standards are slipping.

stumpy01

Well, I’ve been bombarded with the 99p for 3 month offer and this thread might have tipped me into signing up!

I think it’s quite a reasonable price for what you get.

lunge

99p for 3 months, sod it, I’ll give it a go, I have already set myself a reminder to cancel if I don’t use it.

Alex

I’m happy to rent movies, music and cars. Spotify is great for catching up with stuff you’ve lost/have no way of playing anymore which is why I originally subscribed. But I’ve listened to so much great stuff I’d never have bought, but I’ve very happy to have ‘found’ on Spotify. And the Shazam-Spotify link is great too. Worth a tenner a month to me. Use it everywhere.

Stoner
    Free Member

Use it everywhere

Now, I know that’s not true, Al! One reason why it’s not compelling for me is the shockingly bad mobile signal we get locally. And with you being the other side of Mordor I can only assume your mobile signal is even worse…

cb

downloading music was mentioned earlier (from Spotify) – does that mean you can record anything that you listen to? And keep it? Can you not just build up a huge collection and then cancel membership? I assume not or it seems a rubbish model?

peterfile
    Free Member

Now, I know that’s not true, Al! One reason why it’s not compelling for me is the shockingly bad mobile signal we get locally.

But that’s the beauty of premium! Offline storage on all your devices.

It also means that if I add a few songs/albums while on my laptop at home (for example), it will automatically update and store offline on my mobile and work laptop.

convert

Can you not just build up a huge collection and then cancel membership? I assume not or it seems a rubbish model?

No, only works whilst you have a valid premium sub.

You are listening to any album you want at any time anywhere in the world.

However – this is also not true. You can listen to any album any time anywhere in the world only if you are in a wifi zone or have good mobile signal(and data plan); or if you had a premonition about the album you would want to listen to ahead of time and downloaded it in readiness.

Alex

Now, I know that’s not true, Al! One reason why it’s not compelling for me is the shockingly bad mobile signal we get locally. And with you being the other side of Mordor I can only assume your mobile signal is even worse…

Offline mode 🙂

BoardinBob

Think AC/DC is more of a loss IMHO.

And Bob Seger 🙁

Spotify is the best tenner a month I spend. Sold all my CDs. (Almost) every album I could ever want at my finger tips. Custom playlists for whatever mood your in (90s dance hell made the drive to Morzine hilarious).

Do it.

sadexpunk

i do have a free spotify account (that ive never really used, signed up when it started out of curiosity), so this conversation has just made me re-check it, see if its tempting to use it. i need to know more info tho to see whether it could enrich my life 🙂

firstly, like i said, i use a squeezebox through my hifi for my 6 music fix. when my music was on my laptop it accessed it over wifi through logitech server. now my musics on a portable HD i never use the server, just switch on the squeezebox, it finds wifi and plays 6 music. i now use a chromebook, so no server at all.
    i believe the squeezebox has a spotify app, but id like to know the best way of playing spotify content over wifi through my speakers.

ive got spotify on my chromebook, i could also get the app on my android phone, and like i say, could have it on my squeezebox. at home itd work best on my chromebook. just type something in and it plays through speakers. how could i make that work?

will spotify play dab radio, so i default back to 6 music when im not playing albums etc.

there are alternatives to spotify (google? amazon?), im pretty well committed to google/gmail/android/chromebook, so would a google music type thing be a better option for me? or does spotify do this type of thing better than the rest?

i have a limited data plan so would never constantly stream from my phone when out of wifi range. is that the only way i could access spotify content in the car, unlimited data and need a good connection? or is this where people use ‘offline content’?

like i say, i have a chromebook, so my content is pretty much ‘in the cloud’, hardly any HD space on that or my phone. am i stuffed for offline content then?

what does the £9.99 sub get me that free doesnt (i think theres ads on the free version isnt there. what else?)

thanks. like i say, im a bit ignorant on how to use it cos im happy enough with just 6 music and my own collection, but im interested to see if it could seamlessly play stuff through my hifi.

martinhutch

It’s just getting rid of ads, and streaming at slightly higher quality. Oh, and I think Free accounts can only play a track a limited number of times a month.

The ads do tend to grate a bit in between movements of a classical concerto…

stumpy01

Free version of spotify:

you can’t download stuff to play offline.
    You can only play in shuffle mode.
    Adverts

there might be more differences, but these are the main ones that I notice.

mikemorini
    Free Member

I’ve had a premium account for a number of years now and think, for me, it’s worth a tenner a month. One of the things I like about it is you can go off piste and listen to stuff you wouldn’t consider buying , if you could even find it.
    Mongolian throat singing anyone?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘I can't believe I've only just got round to using Spotify….’ is closed to new replies.