• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I can't believe I'm asking this – what Lycra for running?
  • matt_outandabout

Before Christmas on one particularly cold run I donned my Montane merino thermals under my shorts, and instantly had happier knees for the day after…
    Suggest me a cheap place to buy some running tights and 3/4 tights…

surfer
    Free Member

Alpkit are good, I have a pair of their full length ones and I have some Inov8 3/4’s for very muddy stuff and the fells. Sportshoes also have some good ones.

Nothing better than tight lycra when its freezing and wet.

lunge

Decathlon of course, good value, fits well, does the job perfectly.

And surfer is right, nothing better than Lycra in the cold and wet, be that running, walking or on a bike.

peekay

Classic navy Ronhills with delicate red piping down the outside legs, arse hugging stretch fabric with nylon drawstring for an extra secure fit, and the reassuring embrace of a stirrup under the foot.

peekay

Edit. Ronhill excitement caused a double post.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pairs of these Matt..

igotdoms

Spotty Dog imho..

surfer
    Free Member

Peekay I am in agreement that Ron Hills are ace but in the wet no matter how close fitting they are, your crotch ends up by your ankles! In the dry they are smashing but in the wet less so.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I normally prefer Adidas to Nike, but IME Nike leggings last better.

theotherjonv

for the price I’m not disappointed with Moremile

http://moremile.co.uk/mens/clothing/tights.html

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use a few brands, mostly Ron Hill for the spring/summer/autumn but when the winter comes around I’m more concerned with comfort and warmth.. so grab a combination of anything that will keep me warm.

So, 3/4’s I use DHB bib shorts with braces and the pad taken out, a pair of old Rapha bibs with braces and pad taken out. Long legs I’ve got Norrona and Haglofs (both waist bands) and alternate between muddy/less muddy condition 😆

I can not stand legs that fall off the waist and either end up around your knees when wet or you need to tighten the string so tight it cuts you in half.. thankfully both Norrona and Haglofs have waist bands that are big width and have that rubber grippy stuff on the inside, so yomping through mud/puddles doesn’t drag them down by your teenage sons fashion faux pas..

But in these conditions I’d recommend some cheap DHB 3/4’s and undo the stitching on the pad and remove it.. £25 a pop, cheap as chips and skanky enough to not care about brand nor condition they subsequently fall into before you run through them..

HTHs.

tagnut69
    Free Member

Karrimor from sports direct aint bad gear for the price

kcal

got some Alpkit 3/4 for a bit more knee protection matt as per your post.
    extra feeling of comfort straight away. warm knees appreciated.
    same for 3/4 bib shorts I guess.

I needed a size up though as though my waist inferred a given size, my chunky legs begged to differ..

alanf
    Free Member

Craft do some excellent tights.
    Can be had cheapish from a few sources (Start fitness, Sport Pursuit)

CraigW
    Free Member

The Alpkit 3/4 are nice, but fairly thin, not very warm. I have some Ronhill 3/4 tights that are a bit thicker, or full length Ronhill tights. Also some Asics winter tights that are even warmer.
    Start Fitness or Sportsshoes.com usually have some cheap.

Or just wear any unpadded cycling tights, works fine.

mikey74
    Free Member

I use the Kalenji warm from Decathlon, which are very good.

Edit: I combine them with my Gore X-Ultra shorts that have an unpadded liner to them, which comes down to just above the knees.

mogrim

Another vote for Decathlon 3/4s. Although I use them with their running pants to keep everything in place, they’re a lot more comfortable, marginally less revealing, and it stops chafing…

stayhigh

I’ve been really pleased with this pair from Sports Direct that I got in desperation when it was really cold and have surpassed my expectations.

HERE

Even better their currently only £7 😉

surfer
    Free Member

Edit: I combine them with my Gore X-Ultra shorts that have an unpadded liner to them, which comes down to just above the knees.

The whole “shorts over tights” thing seems a bit odd to me, seems all the rage now.

matt_outandabout

Shorts over tights = not subjecting the world to this…

surfer
    Free Member

Nike made me do it 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t wear shorts over my running legs, nor 3/4’s… don’t see the point, unless you have something to hide 😆
    I know many trail runners and I’d say it’s 50/50 wearing shorts over/no shorts over running legs..

Women don’t wear shorts over running legs, so hey.. and they don’t care either.

matt_outandabout

I’m also realistically 2st over what I should be to wear Lycra…

nickc

Howies running leggings are pretty good as well.

pb2

These https://www.alpkit.com/products/koulin-trail-tights-mens. They are worth every penny and them some. Ron Hills are relegated to biving and decorating 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I can't believe I'm asking this – what Lycra for running?’ is closed to new replies.