Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I broke my fumb
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

Snowboarding last week and had a funny tumble. Took must of the impact on my head, but when I got up found that my thumb didn’t work. Didn’t hurt, it was just wonky and making clicky noises.

Anyway, operation tomorrow, and I’m gutted that I’m going to be spending the first 2 months of spring not riding my bike.

Commence cheering up…

Now!

bigG
    Free Member

MTFU and ride one handed,

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’m very bored of this now. While you smug gets are out enjoying the stunning weather and the endless bank holidays, I will be sat idly at home, plotting your demise.

jools182
    Free Member

duct tape your hand to the bars

molgrips
    Free Member

Flat bar and bar ends, rest your palm on the corner?

McHamish
    Free Member

There’s a few decent games out on the Playstation that you could get to take your mind off it…oh wait a minute, nevermind.

simon_g

My sympathies – I broke mine mountain biking about 15 years ago, needed two operations to put back together, 6 weeks in a cast (with it sticking right out making most clothes with sleeves tricky to put on) then probably another 4 before I could ride.

At least you should be done by mid-June and still have a few months of nice weather…

Kuco

Did mine about 6 years ago. The break wasn’t the problem I took most of the ligament off with it which wasn’t good. 6 weeks in a cast a month of physio and yet it can still play up.

jools182
    Free Member

McHamish – Member

There’s a few decent games out on the Playstation that you could get to take your mind off it…oh wait a minute, nevermind.

thats just cruel 😉

16stonepig
    Free Member

That’s going to be a big part of my rehab. Good for motor control…

RV
    Free Member

I have two broken thumbs at the moment, hospital said let them heal and see how you get on. I’m riding but only on a road bike at the moment. Not sure when i’ll be able to ride off road as the heavy bangs hurt. Hope the op goes well, wish I had pushed for it or untilised my private medical cover.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Two months for a thumb?!?

You must have broken that pretty bad, I snapped and displaced my arm in two places and had some metal work and was riding DH 10 weeks to the day later.

Depending on whether you need if you shifting (R / L hand dependant) you should still be able to put in some gentle canal miles or something.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

1×9

Put the shifter on the side of the non-affected hand – possibly upside down. Cinch strap the affected hand to the handlebar. Ride carefully!

Worth a go, isn’t it?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My thumbs are mashed from years of dry slope skiing and racing.

I tore my ligaments on the 8th Jan and my thumb (left) is still giving me grief now, having to shift with the heel of my hand on longer rides as it gets sore.

Thumbs take a while to heal, there are a few small bones in there with not much blood supply so take it easy and let them fix (wish I had done!)

mark_b
    Free Member

Broke my right thumb last September (actually pulled away a flake of bone with a ligament attached).

Had the hand in a cast for about 5 weeks (which was inconvenient considering i broke the left collar bone at the same time 🙄 ) and at least 12 weeks off the bike to give them chance to heal.

7 months on it still aches if riding for a while and the ligaments need a regular stretch to keep them flexible – however i would recommend being patient with the recovery. Difficult with it being sunny but better than having an unnecessary operation.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Yeah, I think it’s particularly tricky because it’s broken across the joint surface, and needs a couple of pins in to hold the fragment in place. They’ll be coming out under a general next week.

Once the cast is off, I’ll give it a week to see how it moves then maybe some gentle road/towpath riding on the SS.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Good ******* lord…

I just had the op to remove the pins. However there was a catch.
    Essentially, the surgeon said they didn’t have any beds in recovery, so they couldn’t do the full op. Unless I opted to go in with no painkillers, no anaesthetic, and they just whipped the bits of metal out with some pliers.

Needless to say, after sitting in the theater with two junior doctors pulling my arm one way, and a burly surgeon pulling the pliers the other, blood instantly flooding out of the holes, I felt a bit woozy and had to have a lie down with an oxygen mask on.

Tiger6791

This at Chertsey or Ashford?

I bust small bone in my thumb/wrist, 3 x-rays and 1 MRI scan later they confirmed it was broken and there is nothing they can do…..

At which point you have to wonder why do all the scans?

16stonepig
    Free Member

Chertsey. I’m getting to know the orthopaedic staff there quite well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I broke my fumb’ is closed to new replies.