Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I became a man today…
  • svalgis
    Free Member

as I broke my first rear mech.

My Zee died a violent death by stick-in-wheel-at-speed. Now, I wouldn’t expect any mech to survive that particular ordeal, but the way it was utterly bent to shit despite the replaceable mech hanger being completely intact has led me to believe that what I’ve read about them being made of cheese might be true.

So, new mech time. Any point in going for a medium caged SLX shadow+ instead? Is the slightly bigger cage compensated by a sturdier construction? Or just buy another Zee and move on? I’m currently on a hardtail but will be swapping to a 120mm FS frame within the week (hopefully) in case that makes any difference – maybe chain growth makes the medium cage a better option anyway?

P.S. I run 1×10.

06awjudd
    Free Member

I’d go zee shadow + : shorter cage = less to get knocked. Plus I think they are built sturdier too, which helps.

jezandu
    Free Member

Nope, no man…..you still run gears 😉

epicyclo

^ +1 🙂

svalgis
    Free Member

06awjudd: Cheers, but that’s what I used and it seemed kind of flimsy which I’ve seen other people comment on as well. Then again, maybe SLX isn’t any better in which case it makes more sense to stick to the short cage of course.

jezandu: Aww… 🙁
    The big question is, do I need to grow a beard to ride SS, or does riding SS give me a beard?

jezandu
    Free Member

No beards here (it comes out ginger which isn’t a good look on me) besides I’m a racing whippet and a beard and shaved legs just don’t go!

ps44
    Free Member

Almost did that with a demo bike last weekend but sensed something not right just before mashing the pedal down. Who have been a trifle 😳

ronjeremy
    Free Member

svalgis
    Free Member

So, regarding my original question, no point in choosing a medium cage SLX over Zee then? Would I not have any issues with a short cage mech and 120mm of rear travel either?

epicyclo

Bad time to be asking SS questions. Everyone is at the SSUK.

Started growing your beard yet? – most real singlespeeders have beards, you know.

Even the men…

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I became a man today…’ is closed to new replies.