• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I Beam Saddle……any reason why I shouldnt?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Just seen a good offer on I beam saddle and I beam post, just wondering if anyone got comments about them good or bad?

D0NK

CRC were doing a deal a while back, I was interested, cheap and light but heard a few people say standard ibeam doesn’t have much give in it, bit harsh. New beam design is supposedly better.

tracknicko
    Free Member

seem to remember quite a few busted ones on dh bikes. seemed like a great idea, but a touch weak IIRC.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DT78
    Free Member

Depends on your ass tbh. I’ve been riding them for 4 years or so, I find normal saddle s uncomfortable now, the ibeams flex in a different way.

They are quite a bit lighter too, only downsides is I’ve bent a 27.2 post, and cracked another 27.2 at the saddle clamp area in really cold weather last winter. Both lasted about a year. I’ve had no issues with my 31.6 or 30.9 posts….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Good.
    Meta 5 had an SDG one fitted from new.
    I liked it enough to replace it with another one the same when it wore out and also bought one plus post for my hardtail.

Very light and not managed to break one yet.
    <edit>31.6 & 30.9 posts </edit>

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for the reviews, still havent made my mind up though!

Leku
    Free Member

the I fly is like sitting on a stick.

The Bel Air SL is better.

The Formula is meant to be more comfortable but I have not tried one.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Same as DT78 above, I cracked a 27.2 at the clamp, in cold weather. I was riding across a car park at the time and I’m no lard arse! I wouldn’t buy one again.

Paceman
    Free Member

I used the I-Beam SDG Formula for awhile, very very light and ok for shortish rides, but not comfy for all day epics. Gone back to the standard Bel Air… best there is IMO.

supertacky
    Free Member

As others have said they crack.

I had one on my DH bike and it snapped in cold weather.

As some uplifts use the seat to attach the bike I wasnt going to take the chance of my bike disapearing towards the ground.

tazzymtb

I love mine, have them on all my bikes alloy and carbon and the I fly saddle is fine as long as you have an “experienced” posterior and aren’t a lardy boy.

epicyclo

I like them too. Now on most of my bikes.

Formula FX is most comfortable. I use them for the road.

I use the I-Fly for off road including 24hr races.

Had one breakage, cracked at top of post but didn’t let go.

DT78
    Free Member

Even as an advocate (I have 3) I use them for XC and trail centres. I swap to a thomson when I go to morzine….

Jehosophat
    Free Member

I have one. I like it (on full suss anyway – would want more give on a hardtail so go with Ti rails personally).

The I fly is as someone said incredibly short and narrow. I am fairly slim and light and hated it – I got a Formula TT instead and love it (similar to the Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow on my other bike).

retro83
    Free Member

I had a I-Beam BelAir. Really, really uncomfortable. Absolutely no give in it at all. Totally different to a normal or ti Bel-Air. I think the FX ones are meant to be a lot better.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, standard bel air it is.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I Beam Saddle……any reason why I shouldnt?’ is closed to new replies.