Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 834 total)
  • "I asked God to help me"
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Funny how it’s the atheists that seem to feel the need to make so much noise.

What is wrong with live and let live. He has his beliefs as many do. He is doing no harm.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

What is it that they say about football, religion and politics?

Now, that David Cameron……..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Coyote in “inability to follow the argument even as far as reading the last post” shocka…

MSP

Has an atheist ever knocked on your door and tried to foist his non belief on you?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Has an atheist ever knocked on your door and tried to foist his non belief on you?

No. Because they’re sneaky buggers. And that’s exactly what I’d be expecting them to do.

zippykona

To quote someone,”there ain’t no atheists in a fox hole”.
    I guess when the chips are down people will grasp onto whatever possibility there is that will save them.
    As long as you have hope you have a better chance of survival.
    You can’t measure or explain hope and love. So I guess throughout mans history he invented religion to explain things he didn’t understand.
    This mans faith helped him through. Good for him.
    I’m not religious in any way but on my death bed im sure I will be saying a prayer or two.

toys19
    Free Member

So I guess throughout mans history he invented religion to explain things he didn’t understand.

Based on the evidence it looks like man invented relgion to control other men.

MSP

Yep, religion feeds on fear.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A lie.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/23/10819384-foxhole-atheists-plan-to-rock-the-base-at-fort-bragg

rogerthecat
    Free Member

What is wrong with live and let live. He has his beliefs as many do. He is doing no harm.

Wow! You need to read a little more. Belief and religion have been used as control mechanisms to predicate a war against other religions/faiths/belief systems throughout history – does the Holocaust ring any bells?

zippykona

Has anyone on here had a near death experience and how did they deal with it? Not picking a fight ,just interested.

grum
    Free Member

Atheism is no different to religion. They’re both about a person holding beliefs. Only atheists seem to bang their drum that little bit louder.

😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

The Sun says that on the morning of the game he prayed for God’s protection. The subsequent events sound more like a smiting to me.

THIS why does he not ask why God stopped him having a heart attack requiring the intervention of medical staff rather than praising god for helping him through it all due to their actual actions.
    Whatever you wish to say about religion this makes no rational sense.
    I recall a famous philosopher [ JOB?} gave a story about a man who took protection in the church from a hurricane with his family…all but two of them died and he praised god for saving the two of them …again this is just irrational nonsense. Whatever happens, good or bad, re affirms the faith as it is not a rational beleief.

his Dawkins led neo-athiesm is almost as offensive as the religious nutters we see at the fringes of all beliefs.
    Whatever happened to live and let live?

Do we stop people being in high office for their beliefs? Ban their books? Put them to death for heretical beliefs [ FFS how long to accept a heliocentric world and evolution?

Atheism is no different to religion. They’re both about a person holding beliefs. Only atheists seem to bang their drum that little bit louder.

You are not good with evidence are you
    Last time an aethist knocked on your door to convert you? Do we hold services every Sunday for the flock?
    Get articles published in the papers anbout our special place in society? What utter BS [Your point is probably true for STW bit not the world in general]

Repeating this wont make it true

Did the believers live and let life in the past? Why not go to a deeply religious place/country or the Spanish Inquisition and experience religious tolerance first hand ridiculous claim.
    we make so much “noise” to try and drown out theirs. Rationality must won [ crosses fingers does three hail marys and asks shiva for help]

butcher

Yup. Until anyone gets to the level of spoutng my God is going to **** all over your God, then I don’t see what there is to be offended by?

Muamba doesn’t take away credit from those who tried to help him. He survived some very extreme circumstances.

To me he was lucky.

To a believer, he was looked after by God.

What’s the difference?

trailmonkey

nice to see the lad back on his feet though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do we hold services every Sunday for the flock?

No, but some atheists certainly like to bang on about religion given the absolutely tiniest possible excuse.

The once a week gathering of the committed atheists on STW has become a most religious like phenomenon.

grum
    Free Member

To a believer, he was looked after by God.

Even if you do believe, it’s fairly daft to ignore the fact that god ‘struck him down’ in the first place just so he could save him. Such is the nature of faith though, you ignore the inconvenient evidence.

fairhurst
    Free Member

agreed..

Junkyard
    Free Member

the difference is one view is correct and one view is incorrect; either god saved him or the medical intervention saved him.
    Given his heart stopped and there were medical people doing stuff to him I will go with the later as that is where the evidence points

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    No, but some atheists certainly like to bang on about religion given the absolutely tiniest possible excuse.

The once a week gathering of the committed atheists on STW has become a most religious like phenomenon.

And on a Sunday morning – unintentional irony, perhaps?

Good job this isn’t a MTB forum and the sun isn’t shining….oh, wait a minute….

butcher

Even if you do believe, it’s fairly daft to ignore the fact that god ‘struck him down’ in the first place just so he could save him. Such is the nature of faith though, you ignore the inconvenient evidence.

Evidence? You’ve imagined one possible scenario and tagged it as evidence.

the difference is one view is correct and one view is incorrect; either god saved him or the medical intervention saved him.

That’s an extremely arrogant view.

Not only that, you’ve just made it up. Why can’t both have a hand in saving him? And/or, did God not create medical science for us?

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe in any of this crap. But again, it comes down to my God is going to **** all over your God. Where in this case your God is science…or so you’d like us to believe – your arguments don’t support this. And as usual, as with most religious fanatics, it’s argued with an extremely limited imagination.

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh sod it i cant be bothered

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

oh sod it i cant be bothered

Are we lacking religious fervour this morning ?

Cougar

A bloke slips off a cliff, catches a branch on the way down and is hanging precariously close to death. Being religious, he starts praying.

Shortly, a bunch of walkers come past. They see him and shout down, “can we help?”

The guy replies, “No, it’s ok, I have my faith in God, He will save me!”

The walkers go on their way. Presently, a climber makes his way up the cliff. “Hey, are you ok?” he shouts. “I can rope you in and lower you down.”

“No, it’s ok, I have my faith in God, He will save me!” the guy replies.

A minute later, a helicopter flies past. They spot him and start to lower a ladder.

“I’m fine,” the guy shouts, “I have my faith in God, He will save me!”

The helicopter goes on its way. Eventually, unable to hold on any longer, the guy falls to his death.

Checking in at the pearly gates, the guy confronts god. “What gives? I put my faith in you, and now I’m dead!”

“Hm, that’s strange,” says God, “I sent some walkers, a climber, a helicopter…”

Junkyard
    Free Member

cougar you dont actually believe that, neither does the poster above, lets go ride

Are we lacking religious fervour this morning ?

Apparently…god willing and all that obviously

grum
    Free Member

Butcher your post makes very little sense. I can’t be bothered to argue about this either though. Enjoy your Sunday folks.

emsz
    Free Member

He’s got children hasn’t he?

I’m sure they’re very pleased to have their dad back. I’m sure as well as god he probably thanked his doctors, he seems like a really nice bloke from what i’ve read. A million miles away from the image of a regular footballer. lovely story for a change 😀

Cougar

cougar you dont actually believe that,

Well, no, I’m an atheist. It’s a joke.

Point is, even if you’re religious, there should be room in your thinking for “god gave us cardiologists,” non?

trailmonkey

A million miles away from the image of the crap I read about a handful of idiots that I then assume is the typical behaviour of a regular footballer

consider that fixed.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think it’s pretty well accepted that a belief or positive outlook will help you get better.

Is it?

On QI both Stephen Fry and a Doctor were discussing the fact that a ‘positive outlook’ does indeed work and had been proven to in double blind peer reviewed tests.

They went on to say that groups given placebo medications were more likely to recover than those given none, and if the placebo was a injection patients were more likely to get get better than those given a placebo pill.

So in that respect, beliefs religions probably do have a positive role to play. And that’s probably the last positive thing (and maybe even the first) I’ll post regarding religion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

there should be room in your thinking for “god gave us cardiologists,” non

Is that in genesis?
    one wonders why we had to do all the empirical work and science /medical stuff to get to the point of having cardiologists if god gave it us.

the fist heart transplant was carried out by a Christiaan [ not a typo] I will give you that and get my coat. 😉

Cougar

one wonders why we had to do all the empirical work and science /medical stuff to get to the point of having cardiologists if god gave it us.

It’s unfair to argue with me by taking half of a sentence out of context and picking it apart. Especially when I agree with you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sorry,forgive me 😉
    the apology is sincere.

miketually
    Free Member

there should be room in your thinking for “god gave us cardiologists,” non

There are creatures whose only purpose is to burrow into the eyeballs of mammals to lay their eggs, causing extreme pain plus blindness. Did god create these before or after opticians and cardiologists?

jam-bo

Ah, that’s to test your faith…

Sandwich

Lots of the lads in WWI called on their mothers in extremis/near death. Giving the lie to that one.

Which supports Anthony Brandts idea, “Other things may change us, but we start and end with family”

Good ride this morning too.

Euro
    Free Member

I think it’s marvelous that God saved the football man. There’s good PR in helping athletes run faster and jump higher. Pity the prayers of the millions suffering around the globe go unanswered though. This god chappy doesn’t really do himself any favours.

RichPenny
    Free Member

OK, the two things that are a little off about the OP (I’ve just ignored the inevitable barrel of bollocks afterwards):

1: I distinctly remember Muamba and others involved like Bolton staff making lots of statements thanking staff for the fantastic care he received.

2. Muamba has never, to my knowledge at least, edited The Sun.

miketually
    Free Member

I work with a guy who’s ex-RAF Regiment; served in Northern Ireland and Iraq (both times). He’s a vocal atheist and always has been.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

There are creatures whose only purpose is to burrow into the eyeballs of mammals to lay their eggs, causing extreme pain plus blindness. Did god create these before or after opticians and cardiologists?

I’ve heard that there are 200 parasites that live on/feed on humans…guinea worms are one…great sense of humour that God woman.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 834 total)

The topic ‘"I asked God to help me"’ is closed to new replies.