• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • I always thought Placebo were American
  • spud-face

Until this thread I thought Placebo were Danish.
    I only popped in on the off-chance no-one had already mentioned their fellow Danes Mew, as they are/were alrightish (vocals a bit weak). Instead I’ll pointlessly mention a band that are from a different country to Placebo and don’t sound like Placebo. Mew. They’re alrightish. 😀

rob2
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was listening to placebo and Meds this afternoon. I knew he was Scottish but what I don’t know is why the hell does he try to sing like and speak like an American (unless he was brought up there I guess?)

athgray
    Free Member

I recall hearing Brian Molko is from Dundee.

Harry_the_Spider

The Thompson Twins were in fact completely unrelated by blood.

…and there were three of them.

senorj

The band Moloko may have been formed in Sheffield , but I’m sure the singer was from Ireland. 🙂

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Really! Placebo, not from the U.S. Now that is a surprise…all these years.

Am also confused about the Flaming Lips, or is it the Smashing Pumpkins…

roper
    Free Member

I found out last week I saw radio head at a festival in the 90s.

angeldust
    Free Member

I also thought Lost Prophets were American

That’s because they were a (bad) Faith No More tribute band. And FnM are American.

Is that a commonly held opinion? I am a FNM fanatic and hear absolutely nothing of FNM in the Lost Prophets (admittedly I only know a handful of their singles from some years back). I guess you could argue that FNM covers such a large scope most bands are going to overlap them somewhere….

granny_ring

Blondie wasn’t a real blond…..

waihiboy
    Free Member

Yet I’ve just found out they are English, and Brian Molko is Scottish.

hahah i thought this for years aswell…

was listening to some 90’s stuff the other night and Gene came on, didn’t know the lead singer was Welsh.

+i now feel old as i can remember buying their first album on a long forgotten invention called a ‘cassette’!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’m eternally grateful that Placebo existed simply to give me some sort of enlightenment into the vast spectrum of sexuality, drugs and inebriation from my shitty little bigoted, xenophobic adolescent town.

I would be a completely different man without Placebo and Zane Lowe interviews with the band. Thanks to those I found Pixies, Einsturzende Neubauten and Skinny Puppy: Revolution in my eyes. And a Scot at that.

flossie
    Free Member

I used to think Metalicarrrrrr were dainish, I think it was because the only name I’d heared in connection with them was Lars Ulrich

Northwind

roper – Member

I found out last week I saw radio head at a festival in the 90s.

Heh. A mate of mine reminded me we saw Coldplay play in front of about 200 people at the edinburgh venue in about 2001- I tipped coheadliners Terris for big things but Coldplay will never amount to anything.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Molko has that pan-european accent common to many peeps that went to international schools. He was at international skool in Luxembourg and a good mate of my cousin (half french half english) who also features a funny unplaceable accent. According to my aunt he was a “sweet young man” in his pre-rascally teenage sex-midget years.

lodious
    Free Member

I learned last week the Jamaican ghetto stylee vocals on’ ‘Chant of a poor man’ by Leftfield were sung by a skinny white Brummie.

joat

“Don’t you c**ts (pronounced as in Brian Cant) throw any more bottles at me or I’m off” were some of the only words I remember him saying a good few years ago at Rock City. It was only a plastic bottle but it was a good shot.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Awful fake American accents that record companies make singers use to sell more records in America.

Saccades
    Free Member

Pretty sure the lead singer from Moloko was born/brought up about 50yds from where i’m sitting.

Depths of ireland.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘I always thought Placebo were American’ is closed to new replies.