Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I admit it, I'm a bit of a fair weather rider. Solidarity anyone?
  • tang
    Free Member

I must confess I hate this weather. I’ve hung the bike up and long walks are now the norm. If I’m honest the rigmarole of winter riding in general cuts no mustard. I know I live in the UK and I should embrace the weather in all its dingy glory and have all the right clothing(which i do) but I don’t half pine for the spring/summer rides late into the evening with scant regard for clothing plus sweat, dust and dehydration in equal measure.
    I’m off for 4 weeks of singlespeed action in India on the 6th of Jan so I will ad dangerous drivers and probable diarrhea to the above list.
    Anyone else want to come out as a fair weather wuss?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So you ride a couple of weeks a year then?

simonm
    Free Member

I’m struggling to find motivation to get out on night rides on my own in the cold… day time I’ll ride in anything.

tang
    Free Member

I push on through the grime and the dark and admittedly enjoy a percentage of the ride. On balance though, if I’m honest, I hate the winter.

Goz
    Free Member

I dont do winter rides offroad unless its frozen….just stick to the road and look forward to spring time….mud has no attraction…been there and done it!

bruneep

Ach! its fun out there

foxyrider
    Free Member

I like good weather but I find bad weather a greater challenge 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m gradually becoming more of an all-weather rider but I still hate riding in the rain mostly because it means the bike’s gonna be clogged with mud which I just can’t be arsed with! I’ve rode quite a bit this winter, through the snow.

Clink

I mix the biking with running off-road. If I can’t be bothered with the bike I go for a run instead. In fact just come back from a stunning moonlit run on crunchy snow :-0

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Depends. Don’t mind the cold so much, but can’t stand rain. I want to enjoy biking, not try to pretend how ‘hard’ I am. I leave that to idiots.

keavo
    Free Member

not ridden much recently. snow is too deep off road, icy on road and the sub zero temp doesn’t do my chest any good. no fun to be had and no training benefit either so not much point really. i will ride in the usual/normal winter conditions though.

tang
    Free Member

Bruneep that for me would be the 5 minutes Id enjoy. I am definitely not a conventionally hard man.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I too struggle is rain. Cold is fine and snow too if rideable

souldrummer
    Free Member

I used to really enjoy riding in bad or cold weather – in fact had a really good off-road ride when the snow hit in February, but icy roads huge new potholes and muppet drivers have put me off road riding at the moment. Will try and venture off road over the Christmas break but I have a feeling it will be a total mud fest by then. At least I have the turbo trainer to give the legs, lungs and heart some sort of workout.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’m all about the dust, tbh.

loddrik
    Free Member

To many soft southerners on here. It’s great to ride regardless of the weather, high winds excepted maybe. Precipitation never hurt anyone…

avdave2

I ride off road all year round no matter what the weathers doing as it’s how I get to work. I get fed up when it’s very muddy but carry on regardless. The best thing about it though is that you really appreciate the good weather when it comes. And there are still some great days even in the middle of winter and it would be all to easy to miss those if you end up putting the bike away for winter. A hub geared or single speed also makes it all less painful.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I admit it, I'm a bit of a fair weather rider. Solidarity anyone?’ is closed to new replies.