Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Hypothetically speaking… What 29er FS frame set?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Currently dreaming about launching into the 29er revolution.

It started off with the news that Cotic were going to do a HT. Only thing is I already have 2 Cotic HT’s and would rather not make them obsolete… Don’t have a full sus atm though

So.

Got a demo lined up on a Nicolai AC29er next week.

What else to consider (and preferably cheaper!)?

hughjengin
    Free Member

Rode a mates Titus rockstar for a couple of hours at a trail centre recently. Very impressed. But then It was my first proper 29er ride, so dont know whether it was being imprssed at 29er or that specific bike. Its been built up pretty light mind. (about 26-27lb) stable and safe, yet covering the ground at a deceptively swift pace.
    The rebadged on one frames are a grand

sugdenr
    Free Member

I was fawning over this in the Spesh shop

swork-s epic 29er

29’er for the wheels size, epic because of the price?

steve_b77
    Free Member

How’s about a Salsa Spearfish?

metalheart
    Free Member

Hmm hu, I had a Titus once a few years back. It didn’t last long, got punted on. Didn’t feel comfortable on it pointed down. I’ll keep an eye on it though, as it sounds interesting. What length forks were on it and did you point it down anything steep?

Sugs, my god you found something more expensive than a nicolai! well done!

bol

I’m very happy with my Niner RIP 9 so far. 120mm rear, 120mm-140mm front. Very efficient but plush suspension; climbs and descends well. I keep seeing close out ads for them on MTBR at the moment, as I think they’re about to change the colours. Mine has changed a little since this shot was taken.

MrTall
    Free Member

Salsa have either the Spearfish or the Horsethief which both look pretty good.

I’ve got the older Big Mama running 120/100 suspension and it’s been a great bike and i won’t be looking to change it anytime soon unless it breaks.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Nothing silly steep or technical, just blasted it round Llandegla, cant say it was quicker uphill than my epic and guess I could have got my epic downhill as quick, but there would have been a lot more drama trying to do so.

metalheart
    Free Member

Can’t believe I didnt think about niner…

Looks a tad gatelike Bol, if you don’t mind me saying so!

Also pricey… Hmmm.

thomthumb
    Free Member

salsa spearfish & anthem 29er would be on my list to test ride.

metalheart
    Free Member

I tried an Anthem X a while back and didn’t click with it. I doubt the 29er would be any different unfortunately.

Is the spearfish a urt?

I looked at a rumblefish today but it was the wrong size (too small). Looked tiny infact 😯

metalheart
    Free Member

Actually that rockstar looks quite nice….

honourablegeorge

I had the new Niner carbon full suss in my hands recently, frame only.

A bit of wee came out.

hughjardon
    Free Member

That’s what I’m hatching a plan to get hold of, Niner Jet9 RDO, just trying to work out how I can get one for less than £2,599!!!

metalheart
    Free Member

Yup that niners do look nice. I’ll give yous that.

But what a price! Way outta my league…

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m liking my spearfish ATM 8)

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I’m liking your spearfish too.

bol

My gate looks a little less gatish with the seat dropped a bit 😀

The Spearfish would have been my choice if buying new. Great value. Certainly a lot more xc than the RIP, Horsetheif, Rumblefish etc though. Depends what it’s for.

ajr
    Free Member

]null[/url]
    2012 Ventana El Rey 23″ frame size

the_lecht_rocks

metalheart – you do realise that the Nicolai’s are cheap in comparison to the other stuff out there, courtesy of our mutual contact, doncha ?

metalheart
    Free Member

Woah, ajr, since we were talking about gates… 😉

The back end of the spearfish looks like heating pipe. How robust is it?

Tlr, apparently there’s another option on the go now too.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Saw this on another thread and like it a lot

Transition Bandit29

http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Bandit29.cfm?Token={ts_2011-12-16_06:34:21}-40264390

GaryLake
    Free Member

Not frame only though…

MrTall
    Free Member

How tall are you AJR?

Looks shiny and new, how long have you had it?

I originally looked at some Ventana’s as they do up to a 25″ frame i think? In the end though i’m quite comfy on my 22″ Salsa.

Edit – the chap in my LBS has an XL Superfly which seems very nice although a tad short in the top tube for me.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mines a 17.5″ and it seems quite long actually. 600mm ETT is pretty long for that size of bike but maybe they don’t scale up at the same rate.

Totally an aside, but I know a 6’6″ chap and recommended him a 23″ Rumblefish, I’ve not seen the beast yet but apparently he’s beyond smitten with it and feels like it’s the first thing in life (not just bikes) that’s ever felt like it really fitted him – that’s nice! Must go for a ride with him…

metalheart
    Free Member

That the superfly Gary?

It was a 17.5 rumblefish I looked at.

Yeah the top tube was long but with the saddle the right height it kinda looked, well, wrong…

And it was kinda ok with the stock 90mm stem but usually run 70’s. Thought the GF genesis fit was for short stems.

I suspect the size up would be too big…

Clink

I’m soon going to build this up (crap pic)

I’ll post a ride report soon as.

ahwiles
    Free Member

wossat then? a rumblefish?

where do you get G2 forks?

it was the G2 thing, and potential associated headaches with forks, that put me off buying a rumblefish…

(or, will it actually be fine with ‘normal’ offset forks?)

(or, am i being a massive tool, and rumblefishes don’t use Fishers tweaked geometry?)

GaryLake
    Free Member

metalheart: yeah, that’s a AL Superfly 100 in my pic.

I think when the GF fit started advocating short stems, I think 100mm+ was normal around then, so it’s all relative.

Now see the Rumblefish is quite a bit shorter than the Superfly and I reckon I’d go for 19.5″ if the standover was ok and run a 50mm stem for that sort of bike.

Clink

2011 HiFi pro – it was somebody’s warranty replacement and got it for good price – I was lucky.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly_100/hifi_pro_2011/#/us/en/model/reviews?url=us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly_100/hifi_pro_2011

I did quite a bit of research and will be running it with non-G2 (set of 120mm maxles from O-O dropped to 100mm).

tk46hal
    Free Member

Spearfish for me and not badly priced for the frame only!

epicyclo

thomthumb – Member
    salsa spearfish & anthem 29er would be on my list to test ride.

I’ve had a short ride on both of those. The Anthem felt nowhere near as taut as the smaller 26″ version, but it wasn’t a long ride. The Spearfish felt like a really good hardtail but with a nicer ride. I’d spend my money on the Spearfish if I was buying a fs 29er.

Clink

Here she is. Only ridden around the block so far. Crap ‘phone pic.

singlespeedstu

How much do you want for it when you flog it next month?

😉

Clink

How much do you want for it when you flog it next month?

A tenner – but as it’s you sir – a fiver! (minus the exploding wheels of course!) 😀

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

my fish! ive put flat bars on it now to get the front down abit.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

the spearfish acts very much like a softtail.its great for long barrel type tracks where you can sit and power over loose gravel and rocks where a hardtail you need to be out of the saddle.@ metalheart those stays are flat like that so they flex ever so slightly.the rear travel is only 80mm but it feels more like 100mm as the 29er wheels give abit more.its not endless feeling travel but a softtail is the best way to describe it and riding it accordingly.

metalheart
    Free Member

Well I actually threw a leg over a 29er today.

I was impressed. Liked how it rolls and and climbs. Can’t really comment on the downs as some clown left the propedal switched on…. 😳

Just as well that I have it for a couple of days then. 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

I would definitely have to have a demo on a ‘fish first.

That back end (to me) just looks too flimsy but otherwise they look alright 😀

singlespeedstu

A tenner – but as it’s you sir – a fiver!

I’m down your way again in the second week of January.
    Shall I pick it up then?

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Hypothetically speaking… What 29er FS frame set?’ is closed to new replies.