• This topic has 23 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hypothetical warranty question…
  • kevin1911

OK, let’s say you bought carbon frame from someone who is a sponsored by the manufacturers of said frame and the frame was a brand new warranty replacement. Now let’s say 6 months, 5 rides and 75 miles later, said frame develops a fault that would be a slam dunk warranty claim in normal circumstances where it was bought new in a retail outlet.

What would you expect the frame manufactures response to be after a request for help?

A) Sling yer hook
    B) send it to us and we’ll replace it
    C) we’ll offer you £x off a replacement frame?

I’ve not yet asked said manufacturer for help yet – I’ve emailed the guy I bought it from hoping that he will help (not heard from him yet, assuming he’s away racing or something – he seemed like a very decent guy pre- and post-purchase). Just starting to think through options if he decided not to help (which of course is his right)

Cheers, Kevin

scotroutes

Usually A) very few manufacturers do transferable warranties.

In any case, the provision of a warranty frame does not re-start the warranty. If it was a 12-month warranty, it failed on month 11 and you got a replacement, the warranty on that one would only be for one month.

simondbarnes

Generally A

kevin1911

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Just wondered if the whole publicity thing might be a factor.

matt_outandabout

a)

Suck it up sweetcheeks, second hand is cheaper for a reason.

kevin1911

Oh, didn’t realise that scotroutes. 😯

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Why you only riding it once a month?

wiggles
    Free Member

I deal with warranty claims and my answer would be A.

If you buy something second hand with 99% of stuff you don’t have a warranty, only hope would be if the original owner were to make a claim with proof of purchase I would be none the wiser to who currently owns it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

as Scotroutes – The warranty is 12mth (or whatever stated) from original supply date, not date the replacement is sent.

Also most warranties are for 1st owner only, which in the case of gifted (sponsored) frames, might be the sponsor themselves as title is not normally transferred unless arranged. i.e. the sponsor might own the frame, not the athlete.

eshershore
    Free Member

@Kevin

I’ve dealt with 100’s of warranties as a workshop manager of a number of bike stores.

Warranty resides with original owner / purchaser. Don’t expect warranty support unless you have POP (proof of purchase) from a retail store with your details on that receipt.

kevin1911

That seems to be a consensus then. I’ll not get my hopes up.

Anyone know of any good carbon repair shops?

kevin1911

@monkeyfudger

Health issues, not that it’s of any relevance

jimjam
    Free Member

kevin1911 – Member

OK, let’s say you bought carbon frame from someone who is a sponsored by the manufacturers of said frame and the frame was a brand new warranty replacement.

Your only hope is that the guy who sold you the frame pursues the warranty. Maybe in exchange for money.

But. If he’s the type of pro rider who sells loads of bikes from his sponsors (like a second income as some do) then I’d pester him till he sorted me out.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I know quite a few people who’ve used these guys

carbon repairs

They’ve all been pleased with the results.

pinetree
    Free Member

Just wondered if the whole publicity thing might be a factor.

By that, do you mean if the manufacturer chooses not to give you a new frame (which they are well with in their rights not to do) that you will bad mouth them on the internet? If so, then I doubt you’ll be successful. Nobody falls for that any more, and I think you’d be shot down pretty quickly on here too, as you’ve already stated the frame is 2nd hand.

Or, do you mean that you’ll rave on the Internet about how great they are, because they gave you a new frame? If so, I’m not sure that will work either, as they’ll have every Tom, Dick and Harry on the phone asking for free replacements of their 2nd hand frames too. Not really a good outcome for the manufacturer either.

You basically don’t have a leg to stand on, so if you go in guns a’blazin, expect to get knocked back down pretty quickly.
    The best thing you can do is be honest, and approach them in a reasonable manner. Most people who work in the bike industry are riders too, so will understand your position. I’m sure if they’re able to help, they will. If they can’t though, don’t be too surprised.

As matt_outandabiut said, 2nd hand is cheaper for a reason.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Irrespective of warranty, if I had a frame fail even in over a year from new i’d be relying on the sale of goods act. But for 2nd hand, tough luck.

kevin1911

Thanks topper.

About the publicity, I was more thinking about the team image thing. If they’re investing so much in the team, would they really want an existing customer (which I am) feeling like they’d been handed a duff frame by one of their sponsored riders.

pinetree
    Free Member

Not sure I understand. Do you have another bike/frame from them which you bought brand new, therefore making you an existing customer?

If not, I very much doubt they’ll give a damn about what you think about a 2nd hand frame you bought, irrespective of where it came from.

scotroutes

kevin1911

Pinetree, that’s correct. Although I suppose it is probably irrelevant to the material facts.

pinetree
    Free Member

Yeah I was kind of eluding to that. It was going to be my snappy (haha, how pertinent) comeback if it turns out the OP does have another frame from them.
    Never mind…

#edit# it appears I can’t type fast enough

pinetree
    Free Member

I wish you the best of luck with it OP, as I can imagine how frustrating it must be.

As I said before though, rhe best thing to do is to be honest and reasonable, and they may well be able to help. The moment you start mentioning things about the brands image, it will be taken as a threat, and they will more than likely tell you to sod off.

kevin1911

Yeah,will do. I’m a very bad liar anyway, so I don’t really have much choice 🙂 thanks

boblo
    Free Member

Not sure a manufacturer would warranty a frame they’d supplied foc under sponsorship…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hypothetical warranty question…’ is closed to new replies.