Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • *Hypothetical* If you were to jack it all in and bugger off on a bike – what kit
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

This is 100% hypothetical!

Whilst riding along with my little girl today i was thinking about if we (me/mrs/little’un) could ever just go on a massive trip, maybe for ever maybe a year or two.

If you were to do this (bike based trip) what kit would you take? Assumptions are – all of you bike, you have a campervan with bike rack on the back.
    What would you take, where would you go, how would you make cash?

ampthill

Hmmmm

I have twice gone walk about for around 9 months. irst time I drove to Tanzania the second I did a round the world flight with bikes with us for about half the time. Both were good enoug to add a bit of value to very day since

My thoughts which aren’t helpful

For me even as a teacher the best pklace to earn money is my regular job at home

I have 2 children. In my experience with kids its best to plan around them

Ignoring the kids I’d rather travel with just the bike than campervan, although I’ve never had a campervan. Unless you coun’t this from the Africa trip

africa dom0046.jpg by John Clinch, on Flickr

To me the joy of travelling with a bike is usinging it to travel

america0023.jpg by John Clinch, on Flickr

OK I’ll try and answer your question

If you gave me a camper now and a get off work ticket I’d bung in the dog and wife. I wouldn’t take a bike as I’ve got a frozen shoulder at the mo. The kids would go to the inlaws. I’d head for the the tip of the North west Highlands and the Scottish Islands and do loads of walks

martymac

i would use the principal of ‘less is more’ for kit, most of the crap we think is essential for modern life really isnt.
    and id go somewhere i havent been before, where the weather is good.
    for cash, dunno, farm work? ie berry picking etc.

matther01
    Free Member

I’d take water and toilet roll…the two most valuable things in life.

qwerty
    Free Member

campervan with bike rack on the back.

I’d get a camper van with an internal bike store like the one that dude at Orange had/has and would tour a big continent, America or Europe, or maybe just settle for NZ.

A credit card belonging to someone else would provide all my creature comforts.

kcr
    Free Member

Lots of examples here:
    http://www.pedalpoweredfamily.com/about-us/resources/

Check out the bike this lot went touring on:

TheBrick
    Free Member

Simple reliable van like a mercedes 407 or 507. Water, loo, lpg stove, wood burner for warmth and hot watter, ryhno bucket (for wash yourself and cloths in), large tarp, mozzi net, solar pannel for back up power some light weight camping kit that would fit in a back pack for mini off shoot trips then just some normal cloths pots pans e.t.c

trevron73
    Free Member

Alaskan high way ,1800 miles of forest road from Dawsons creek to Alaska , i knew a Teacher and she did it back in 88 on a muddyfox bigfoot 2 (18″ frame 24″ wheels ,i bought the bike in 92 )and ive dreamed of it ever since .I nearly did it in 93 but friends pulled out . Thought about it in 2007 but Kitesurfing had taken my soul ,and now if the wife went, id go straight there (i did Brazil before we married ) Alaskan highway with the lotto id probably take the wife with me to drive the winnebago,No really 1800 miles of forest road and wilderness whats not to like.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘*Hypothetical* If you were to jack it all in and bugger off on a bike – what kit’ is closed to new replies.