Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hydrogen tea?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

Printed on the back of a box of tea bags from M&S…

Use only freshly boiled water as reboiled water has lost its oxygen.

Good lord. 🙄

gonefishin
    Free Member

Boiling water removes the dissolved oxygen from the water. This is different to the elemental oxygen that is contained within the water molecules.

Whether that makes a difference to the taste of the tea is another matter entirely.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Whether that makes a difference to the taste of the tea is another matter entirely.

Yes it does.

molgrips
    Free Member

Additional oxygen can be in solution, as well as the oxygen bonded to the hydrogen. That’s what fish breathe, and it’s why you don’t see bubbles of hydrogen coming out of every aquatic creature.

nealglover
    Free Member

Printed on the back of a box of tea bags from M&S…
    Use only freshly boiled water as reboiled water has lost its oxygen.
    Good lord.

And ?

mrjmt
    Free Member

well, you learn something new every day.

And ?

Yes?

shermer75
    Free Member

This is interesting. So why does the oxygen leave? When you look at the surface disruption of boiling water you could almost imagine more oxygen getting added

gonefishin
    Free Member

So why does the oxygen leave?

The heat drives it off. Hot water can’t hold the same amount of oxygen in solution as does cold water.

WackoAK
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

Because of the extra energy making everything move around more? That kind of makes sense

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I guess reboiling might affect the ph level further, it’s also going to concentrate minerals and contaminants such as nitrates further.

That could possibly affect the taste.

cbike
    Free Member

Scientists call it deaeriation. Nitrogen n stuff in there too. If you want to make clear ice for sculpture you boil it.

Water that has sat for a while is better as the chlorine smell goes away. Mineral water is salty, and hard English water is just crap.

chambord
    Free Member

What about water from an urn that is kept constantly (ish) hot?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Assuming that your water does boil at 100 degrees (which i understand it won’t as its not distilled), from that graph, surely the water has no oxygen once its boiled the first time?

BigJohn

There is significantly more deuterium in water that has been boiled over and over.

Heavy, man.

MrNutt
    Free Member

if you were to use ionically filtered or Reverse Osmosis water then reoxygenate it you’d theoretically get a “fuller” flavour as you’d have stripped the water of impurities enabling you more molecular “room” for the tea extract.

gonefishin
    Free Member

surely the water has no oxygen once its boiled the first time?

That’s why I questioned whether it would make any real world difference in my first post. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Edit.

molgrips
    Free Member

Boiling water also precipitates some soluble minerals into insoluble ones, which affects its composition. Hence limescale in kettles.

Also – the increased solubility of gasses in cold water is the reason why cold oceans are full of life – you’d expect it to be the other way round, but cold water holds more oxygen which helps the life.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ll have H2O too

Cougar

Boiling water removes the dissolved oxygen from the water.

So hang on. The instructions say, “Use only freshly boiled water as reboiled water has lost its oxygen.” If the oxygen has been removed by the boiling process, what difference does it make whether it’s freshly boiled or not? The horse has already bolted by that point.

theotherjonv

The horse has already bolted by that point

Much like this point bolted an hour ago when mrjmt made it? 😀

Assuming that your water does boil at 100 degrees (which i understand it won’t as its not distilled), from that graph, surely the water has no oxygen once its boiled the first time?

Cougar

Bumcakes, I missed that. As you were, then.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hydrogen tea?’ is closed to new replies.