Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hydraulic disc brakes and the heat
  • Jehosophat
    Free Member

The rear brakes (2013 forumula R1) on my full susser partially locked on today while riding in full sunlight, there was no lever travel at all, and it was noticeably worse in sunlight than when I was under trees. When I got back I lubed the pistons and changed the pads for some more worn ones, it made no difference, I had to let a little fluid out before they worked. Then I went to move the hardtail (which I rode on Sunday with no issues) and that had exactly the same on the rear K18’s despite just being sat still! So I let a little fluid out of them as well. It was only 26 degrees in the garage, it seems bizarre that a relatively small difference in ambient temperature could make so much difference.

If you are riding in the heat, make sure you have some travel on the brake levers before you head out! Those two were always a bit lacking in travel but it was never an issue before.

bikeneil
    Free Member

If you are riding in the heat, make sure you have some travel on the brake levers before you head out don’t have Formulas!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I suspect that its over filled, thats all. Re bleed and use spacer

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is it too late to tell you to push the pads/pistons home with a tyre lever then?

Rscott
    Free Member

Justbsounds like formula brakesndoing there usual trick. Probably nothing to do with the heat. My mate litraly got a new bike 2 weeks ago next day rear brake locked on.There was a thread with the same issue I belive it was when’s a lbs not a lbs.

Jehosophat
    Free Member

It’s not the first time I’ve had to let some fluid out of a Forumla brake – but two sets doing it on the same day on bikes ridden regularly for years with no issues seemed a bit odd.

And yes I worked the Pistons out a bit, cleaned and lubed them, pushed them right back in, etc etc before finding the 2- minute job of bleeding a tiny bit of fluid out did the trick! I think Formula just ship stuff over-filled but the weather or heavy use makes it more obvious…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Good work dude. Best of luck then!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hydraulic disc brakes and the heat’ is closed to new replies.