Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • hydraulic brakes on a small budget
  • ozzie800
    Free Member

Hi all

Im looking for a set of hydraulic brakes (NEW) but i only have a very small budget (about £100 🙁 ) i would like to know if clarks Skeletal brakes are any good before i give up what little money i have

Thanks for any help ozzie

Gary_C

Can’t comment on the Clarks, sorry.

But i’ve got a set of Hayes Stroker Ryde’s on my s/s, damn good brake imho.

Just inside your budget at MERLIN

j_me
    Free Member

I doubt you will better that deal!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Have Rydes as well as Deore 595 and the latter have much better feel (for me) and significantly more power.

They are, unfortunately, £30 over your budget – personally I think it would be worth saving a bit more.

If you join the VIP club (basically give them an email to tempt you with goodies) then they become £117.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Brakes/Disc+Brakes/Shimano+Disc+Brakes/Shimano+Deore+595+Disc+Brake+Set+-+Front++Rear_DEORE-DISC-BRAKE-SET.htm

Positive review here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-shimano-deore-m595-brake-caliper-11-37554/

legend
    Free Member

Should be able to get Shimano Deores for that sorta money, that’s what I’d be doing

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve got the Strokers on my FS and fully endorse this product.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Apparently the different Deores perform differently, 595’s get good reviews, 575’s poor.

I know reviews arn’t the be all and end all but they seem pretty consistent with these brakes.

joeegg
    Free Member

I.ve got a Clarkes,but not the skeletal,S8 i think it is.Works well but needs a good squeeze to bring the power in.Also it feels like the disc is warped with pulsing at the lever.Good for the money,£37,but wouldn’t fit it on a higher end bike.Nowhere near as good as my ancient Hayes 9’s.

grum
    Free Member

Why do they have to be hydraulic? Avid BB7s are better than most cheap hydraulic brakes IME.

PJay
    Free Member

I’d go for the Deore M595s, I run M595 calipers with old M585 levers and they’re great. The M595s won a big disc brake grouptest in WMB recently too. The Merlin deal is overbudget but a great deal nonetheless although CRC have them at £59.99 an end.

tonyg2003

I got a set of SLX for £124 (VIP discount) at Merlin. They come will rotors, sell these on ebay if you dont need them – on budget?

ozzie800
    Free Member

Hi guys thanks for your help

Iv just seen these for sale http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/842742/ on pikebike and im just wondering if there any good and worth the money

uwe-r
    Free Member

I would go for some well recommended brakes as above: 595s or Elixers.

You should be able to get some secondhand but effectively new on ebay etc for £100. Keep looking they will come up.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Just seen these.

null

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘hydraulic brakes on a small budget’ is closed to new replies.