Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hydraulic brakes for drop bars – not STI
  • four
    Free Member

Are there any hydraulic brakes on the market available for single speed road bikes?

I know of the trp but are there any others?

For example is the a non sti lever that will work with 105s?

Basically I want to swap the mechanical disc brakes on my road SS for hydraulics.

Failing that what are the most reliable, best performing (not heavy) mechanical road bike brakes? I currently have Gusett Chute but I’m not impressed – are TRP Spyre or Shimano CX77 going to be better in terms of realisability and less ongoing adjustment?

wukfit
    Free Member

Also interested in this, tried looking today actually
    Want to build a single speed, disc braked, road plus bike

jonnyboi

Easiest option is the trp cable actuated hydraulics

ratherbeintobago

I thought Tektro made some?

simondbarnes

I’d just get the TRP Hylex

spooky_b329

I thought Hylex were the bee’s knees?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

As above TRP, or keep your shifters/levers and get Hope V twin disc.

inbred853

I have Juin Tech hydro calipers on my escapade, work a treat.
    Link

plus-one

Trp hylex

Ran a set for almost 3 years in all conditions and not a single issue ..

Sold them few months back too

luket

I haven’t done many miles on them, or asked much of them, only really riding on the flat, but about 2 years so far with my TRP Hylex and I can’t fault them either.

Well, except for the loose lever pivots, but then they haven’t bothered me enough to try to silence them.

pdw
    Free Member

You can gut the shifters out SRAM levers. Probably quite an expensive way to end up with a pair of brake levers, though.

Jerm

Giant Conduct brakes are probably the best value though you would have to get a Giant stem too.

CraigW
    Free Member

SRAM make left-hand hydraulic levers without shifters, designed for 1×10 or 1×11. They are described as ‘left’, but could you fit one on the right as well?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-rival-1-hydraulic-disc-brake/rp-prod136597

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

The hood shape on the trp’s is lovely. It’s a little longer and slimmer than sti’s.
    Very good braking too. I use them on my ss cx race bike and they have been very reliable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hydraulic brakes for drop bars – not STI’ is closed to new replies.