• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Picto.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hydration vest thingies
  • honourablegeorge

I remember seeing a few of these ont he market at one point… vests/base layer with a hydration pounch at the back….Alpinestars have one, but it’s mainly a back protecetor – any others? Anyone tried and liked?

PArt of me thinks great idea, but I can see a lot of flawas with it

teamslug
    Free Member

Interested in this too. race face do one ,stash tank? but would be nice to hear a few thoughts

jamesfts
    Free Member

Also interested in peoples thoughts in these – mainly as an alternative to a pack for stashing a light battery

mogrim

Lots of them available for trail running – check out Innov-8, Salomon, Raidlight and others.

Example: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-race-elite-hydration-pack/

legend
    Free Member

Thats quite different mogrim, RF’s one is a proper vest thing:

mogrim

Thats quite different mogrim, RF’s one is a proper vest thing:

Ah, hadn’t seen that type of vest thingy. Soz!

Tracey

Cheap ladies version here, been thinking about one for local rides now I have a SWAT box on the Stumpjumper

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/race-face-stash-ladies-storage-tank-top-black-na55604.html

Phil_H

I’ve got a stash tank. I like it.
    I use it for enduro racing and 2-3 hour rides.
    Doesn’t bounce about like a small pack & no straps to dig in.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Camelbak used to do one, but they appear to have discontinued it.
    iirc someone used one in a time-trial to make them more aero

honourablegeorge

Almost pressed buy on the Raceface, until I realised it comes without the bladder. Starts to feel expensive at that point, for a vest with a pocket.

legend
    Free Member

4 pockets though…..4.

singlespeedstu

I have the Raceface vest.
    Only ever use it for the bottom pockets.
    I did try it once with a bladder in but wasn’t keen, felt a bit odd.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Bladder doesn’t bother me, removable back protector would be good though – guess the Alpinestars one would be the best option

Maybe I just want a vest with a pocket…

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Almost pressed buy on the Raceface, until I realised it comes without the bladder. Starts to feel expensive at that point, for a vest with a pocket.

I’ve got the bibshort version and bought a bladder for £7 from Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/1l-hydration-bladder-id_8300754.html

I haven’t tried the vest but would recommended the shorts. It can be an awkward job to get them on with a full bladder in but apart from that they were comfy for the duration of the Ard Rock and easily carried tool, tube and food.

markgraylish
    Free Member

It can be an awkward job to get them on with a full bladder in but apart from that they were comfy

Copy that…I got a RF Stash which I’ve used very occasionally but it would be very awkward, if not impossible, to refill a bladder with the vest on by yourself as the bladder sits high between the shoulder blades.
    But, it’s fine for shortish rides where 1 litre of drink is sufficient.
    (I guzzle water which is why I tend to ride with a backpack with a 3 litre bladder)

Gotama
    Free Member

I just use a really light weight summer roadie top under my normal riding shirt with Source Liquitainer bottles. The 1 litre one fits fine in a centre pocket but the 750ml is better. Can also just shove a normal camelback bottle in as well. Morvelo make some other soft bottles and a specific stash undershirt which looks quite good but I struggle to fit their stuff.

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/liquitainers/21-foldable-light-waterbottle#/liquitainer_print_style-tic/liquitainer_volume-0_75l_25oz

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’ve the race face one and asked Crc to change their ad because they called it a Tank despite no bladder!

Really like it for a couple of hours’ ride with the osprey bladder it has a magnetic catch.

I did have to cut a bit of space insulation to put under the bladder as the water was getting too hot against my back.

Feels less restrictive than a pack but it does have it’s limitations in carrying extra layers and food.

lustyd
    Free Member

Great for red wine, which I want served at body temperature. Not my favorite for water/juice/salty tab mix which I like cool or cold. For anything short of 5 hours it’s a bottle and cage for me. 5-6 hours I’ll happily go thirsty for the last hour. Over that bladders are a great trade-off.
    These look a bit like the sort of thing people buy because they exist (rather than need) like carbon bars, or helmets 😆

Picto
    Free Member

Had one of the camelbak vest things. Used it for longer timetrials. Allegedly helped with aerodynamics. Was comfortable but the reinforced chest section to stop the bladder moving around made it a tad warm on hot days.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hydration vest thingies’ is closed to new replies.