Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • Hutton
  • anagallis_arvensis

Sod off.

That is all

allthepies
    Free Member

Tsk, pesky New Labour politicians sticking their noses in….

rOcKeTdOg

work for longer, pay in more, get less out

awesome 😐

firestarter
    Free Member

Can’t wait as I pay 11% now and its going up to 14% already before this review 🙁

LHS
    Free Member

Its about time the playing field was levelled. Good on him.

wwaswas

Can’t help thinking that people paying, over the course of their working lives, the full cost of the benefits they receive once they retire isn’t an unfair thing?

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

I work in the public sector and pay 11% and it is a big hit already so paying in more would be hard on the pocket. What’s needed is for all public sector workers to stand together and consider action and in the space of half a day we could bring the uk to it’s knees. Then we will see how badly the government wants to take advice off these fuds like Hutton. Wonder what he gets paid?

LHS
    Free Member

What’s needed is for all public sector workers to stand together and consider action and in the space of half a day we could bring the uk to it’s knees

genius, and you wonder why the private sector workers have no sympathy for you?

aracer
    Free Member

Welcome to the real world folks (our ex-CS pension got changed onto something very close to the Hutton terms a few years ago – it’s still actually pretty good compared to private sector standards).

sadmadalan

The main problem is that the current system is unaffordable. We need to look at different alternatives – Hutton is one of them. Like most people I have only seen the headlines and not the details. There does need to be a link between the amount you save and the benefits you receive. The state needs to ensure that everyone receives a minimum level, but we should reward those who plan for their future

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ll feel the same when your bins don’t get emptied, your house is getting screwed by a local yob and they are riding your fav bike away down the street after setting your shed on fire with no one to put it out. (nothing personal, but what in theory could happen)

LHS
    Free Member

It is unfair to assume that you will on average get paid more, work less and retire on more than someone on a comparable job in the private sector.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ll feel the same when your bins don’t get emptied, your house is getting screwed by a local yob and they are riding your fav bike away down the street after setting your shed on fire with no one to put it out. (nothing personal, but what in theory could happen)

What in theory could happen if you all decide to be selfish ****s and go on strike. You’re not really winning any friends with threats like that!

clubber
    Free Member

Why oh why oh why isn’t TJ here. We need some unbiased, well thought out arguments to balance out the negative postings above 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

What in theory could happen if you all decide to be selfish ****s and go on strike. You’re not really winning any friends with threats like that!

Given that the ‘friends’ will make f all difference to the outcome of pension reform if they didn’t strike, I don’t think they’ll be too concerned.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lhs – what drivel

public sector workers get paid less when you actually look at comparable roles

Most of our pensions are quite affordable as most have been reviewed already anyway

this is propaganda driven exercise in the politics of envy. instead of attacking what is a modest pension for the public sector you should be agitating for decent pensions fr the private sector

private sector pension provision is awful. if you want to see the other side of this read the stuff on the tuc site its a good alternative take. don’t be sucked in by the tory propaganda keep an open and sceptical mind

http://www.tuc.org.uk/economy/tuc-19288-f0.cfm

LHS
    Free Member

Nonsense.

Oh and for the record, I pretty much despise the tories, but this is definitly one of the better decisions they are making. Welcome to the real world.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Oh and for the record, I pretty much despise the tories, but this is definitly one of the better decisions they are making.

They haven’t made any decision.
    It’s a report by a labour peer.
    But apart from that, spot on 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LHS – actually that is the truth. You usually are good at seeing thru the propaganda.

The figures that are used to espouse that public sector workers get paid more are a simple gross comparison. when you actually look at roles of similar experience, qualifications and skills then youu find the private sector are paid more.

http://opinion.publicfinance.co.uk/2010/01/public-vs-private-pay-no-comparison/

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

lhs – what drivel

Yay! Knew I could count on you TJ 🙂

LHS
    Free Member

It’s a report by a labour peer.
    But apart from that, spot on

Lord Hutton, a former Labour pensions minister, was asked by the coalition government to conduct a review of public service pensions soon after it was elected last year.

Move along! 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LHS -0 so you think a race to the bottom is good? You do realise that there won’t be any significant savings as most public sector pensioners hardly get above benefit levels so all this is going to do is make them reliant on benefits instead.

Really – I thought you would have seen thru the tory poropagnada. – its so obvious and unsubtle

step one – creat a moral panic ” public sector pensions will eat your children”
    Step 2 – get your friends in the tory press to keep repeating this and provide them with incredibly poor and distorted figures to use to back it up
    step 3 – create the enemy within – “union bosses will eat your children”
    step 4 – cut the pension, wages and working conditions of a despised sector of the workforce
    Step 6 – bask in the favourable publicity from your tory friends

LHS
    Free Member

LHS – actually that is the truth

I’ve read that article and wasn’t convinced then, they don’t take into account pension contributions, pension schemes, overtime, retirement age.

Step 7 – witness friends and colleagues who have moved from the private sector to the public sector and marvelled at the pay rises, pensions, benefits and retirement age coupled with a much more laid back work ethic.

LHS -0 so you think a race to the bottom is good

Nice quote from today news, but he has already rejected that this is the plan.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LHS – have a browse around the stuff on the tuc site. I am not claiming its anything but propaganda but its good to see the other side of the story that does not usually see the light of day –

LHS
    Free Member

LHS – have a browse around the stuff on the tuc site.

I’d rather stick knitting needles down my tear-ducts to be honest.

firestarter
    Free Member

Thing that bothers me personally is that our new scheme is 40 years of paying 14%, now I can’t afford to pay any more tbh but I on the other hand can’t see me firefighting at over 60+. I can imagine the faces on people when four 60+ year old blokes (edit … or women) hobble out the fire engine lol

I used to be in the army too and I wouldn’t be up to section attacks at 55 either

Well what will be will be I guess

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So you want to make your mind up based on only reading one side of the argument? No wonder you have got this so wrong.

Most unlike you. Normally you like to see thru the myths and propaganda.

clubber
    Free Member

While I partially agree with TJ that there’s some hype (well it’s politics isn’t it – both sides are guilty here), LHS does have a point with this:

Step 7 – witness friends and colleagues who have moved from the private sector to the public sector and marvelled at the pay rises, pensions, benefits and retirement age coupled with a much more laid back work ethic.

I’ve yet to hear anyone I’ve actually met who’s gone private to public sector not say something similar. Not ‘proof’ per se but I think this is a large part of the reason that people are perfectly happy to believe that public sector benefit cuts are in order rather than TJ’s rather patronising view that it’s all because that’s what we’re told by the horrible Tory-biased media.

LHS
    Free Member

Most unlike you. Normally you like to see thru the myths and propaganda.

Thanks, but I have spent many dinner parties having this same debate with friends and family members so I have definitly seen and listened to both sides of the story.

Lets agree to disagree.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The army in 20 years time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nonsense.

You have a powerful use of logic and reason there …..devestating powerful counter point- glad you did not go OTT with facts or anything else inconvenient like that and refused to read other sources of information

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I actually think that the tories don’t realise just what a can of worms they are a opening up.

Of course most public sector workers are not tory voters and they can demonise the public sector to their core vote – but the strife this will create along with the general cuts will be something to behold – I really doubt the Lib Dems will be able to stomach it and the coalition will collapse.

LHS
    Free Member

You have a powerful use of logic and reason there …..devestating powerful counter point- glad you did not go OTT with facts or anything else inconvenient like that and refused to read other sources of information

You sound like a lot of fun.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There is a perception that All public sectors workers are lazy and the private sector is all that is great about hard work and endeavour. Are we really suggesting coppers, refuse collectors, nurses , teachers don’t actually work very hard then? Are we also saying no one in the private sector is lazy and does the bare minimum required?
    Clearly both sectors will have a number of people who do very little. To argue otherwise is to let your politics go before reality

wwaswas

TJ – private sector pensions have spent the past ten years going through similar changes – the reality is that people live longer and the funds need sufficient income to pay out for peoples expected life spans.

It’s simple maths – if my generation are going to live 5 years longer than than my fathers then I need to either pay in for longer, pay in more or do a bit of both. What I can’t expect is to pay in the same amount as he did and expect more benefits.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well i can back up an argument with something more than one word hyperbole. Thanks for an ad hominem retort – you seem really nice now obviously 🙄

binners

Hi TJ *waves*

I’ve missed you

Of course most public sector workers* are not tory voters

* the word worker is used figuratively in this context, and may or may not involve the doing of any actual ‘work’

Nick

Maybe those of us in the private sector, who work with civil servants and experience on a daily basis their sloth like incomeptance, fuelled generally by lunchtime drinking and a 5 hour working day, will come out on a counter demo demanding that they get the **** back to work and shut up.

LHS
    Free Member

Maybe those of us in the private sector, who work with civil servants and experience on a daily basis their sloth like incomeptance, fuel generally by lunchtime drinking and a 5 hour working day will come out on a counter demo demanding that they get the **** back to work and shut up.

Tries not to laugh.

well i can back up an argument with something more than one word hyperbole

Must have missed that, just like you missed me stating that the facts and figures don’t take into account retirement age, pensions, overtime and total benefits.

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps you need to understand the difference between can and have?
    EDIT: Shall we just stop now and let the usual suspect argue about this?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Hutton’ is closed to new replies.