Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Hutchinson v Schwalbe road tubeless bead
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone know if the bead on the Hutchinson is any more generous than the one on the Schwalbe Pro One? Have the 25mm Pro One and it seems impossible to seat on my tubeless rims, just way too tight.

onandon
    Free Member

Just played this game last weekend. Both too tight to work with Reynolds assault and strike wheel sets

beej

I’ve a load of fusion 5’s bought cheap if you want to try one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Beej that would be very much appreciated, thanks 🙂 Shall PM you and sort something out.

Shred
    Free Member

I used the Schwalbe pro ones 28s. They were very tight on my rims, took multiple attempts to inflate with a pop bottle air shot, and the grip in winter was not good at all. Last straw was getting a puncture that didn’t seal, and I battled for 20 min to get the tyre off.

Changed to Hutchinson Sector 28s. Went on easy, easy to get off, easy to inflate, and much better all round trip in the cold and wet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm yes, ran the Pro one with a tube in for a few rides and didn’t like it that much TBH. Even then it wasn’t properly seated and a bit lumpy. Ridiculously tight on my rims.

scaredypants

I was going to say, pro one are pretty tight (and flimsy too if you’ve any flint on the roads) IME and also that Hutchinson secteur are easier.

I didn’t dislike the pro one for grip but I’m a bit of a fair weather rider really and actually they didn’t really stay on long enough to find out. The IRC ones with the rice husk ( 😯 😆 ) in did seem pretty grippy though, and a bit more resilient too. Secteurs also fairly grippy & resilient.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Pedro’s tyre levers, my Pro Ones are tight on my Chinese carbon rims but go on fine with these levers.

ransos
    Free Member

Both the Pro Ones and Hutchinson sector tyres went on my Grail rims using just my thumbs.

The Schwalbes feel nicer but have poor grip in the cold and wet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I can just about get the Pro One’s on the rim but nothing I can do seems to convince them to stay seated. Last straw was them becoming unseated and falling back down towards the well on a ride. Maybe doable with some sort of super compressor but even then a loss of pressure for whatever reason on a ride and I’d never be able to get them seated again.

beej

We can meet at midnight in the car park by the field where you practice cyclocross.

Or, see my PM back.

I think I found the Fusions easier – using the all-weather at the moment on winter bike, excellent so far, great wet grip.

plus-one

Running pro one tubeless on my giant slr 0 carbon wheels and a set on superstar arc rims no major hassle fitting/seating 😀

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Running Schwalbe pro ones 25 on Reynolds assault. No issues. Top tips:
    1 Put some stans on the bead, makes it a bit more slippery to help ease it on.
    2 Instead of tyre leavers get the tyre on until your at that impossible last 6 inches.
    3 Trap the last 6 inches between your foot and garage floor then leaver the wheel away a bit from your foot. Use yourr foot to force the tyre on. A bit st a time. Works better with shoes with hard soles.

Sounds a bit heath Robinson but once you get it you’ll find it’s quite easy.

Tubeless road is very good, done about 10k km and no punctures, less road buzz and better grip with lower pressures

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I then remove the valve core, air it up with compressor snapping it into position. You should hear a loud crack. Add stans and ensure it coats the inside of the tyre by twirling it around. Blow up to 100psi and leave overnight to make sure the bead is fully seated.

Adjust tyre pressures and go ride. 65 front 70 rear 68kg guy

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Broke a 6″ tyre spanner trying to get Pro ones onto Kinetic one rims, used soap, stans, extra rim tape, hot tyres and a full on compressor with the 200L tank full at just about max pressure and no joy. Walked out to calm down after smashing my knuckles before I attacked the tyres with a Stanley knife to get them off. They’re back in the box now and the old tyres are back on the bike. Far as I’m concerned this tyre-wheel combo doesn’t work. Will try some Sectors instead, eventually as just put Stans in the inner tube

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBa88zZossE[/video]

sheck

My only pro one experience was a puncture second ride that was too big to seal with Stans, or Dynaplug and then I couldn’t unseat the tyre bead to get a tube in

Thumbs were cold, but took about 45 mins in the workshop the next day

Genuinely don’t know whether to repair and reinflate or to cut my losses

sheck

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Not all tyre rims are the same from my experience. Like the video – fake news! 😀 If you don’t want your pro ones send them this way 🙂

Sheck You must have been unlucky to get such a large hole. Use your foot to break the seal. Ive been using tubeless now for 8 years on MTB never had a puncture stans hasn’t sealed. Most I don’t notice until I take the tyre off and notice the thorns stuck in the tyre.

onandon
    Free Member

Pawsey.

I could do all that or use the tool I picked up for £7 🙂
    They’re great.

I’ve been tubeless on some bikes for 15 years or so and not really had too many issues with MTB or road. However, this tyre wheel combo is super sensitive.

At anything less than about 80 psi the bead unseats and drops back to the middle of the rim. Added more tape, even tighter to fit the tyre, same issue. More tape, same issue.

Another side issue is not being able to get them off the rim again so I just cut the beads and chucked them away.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Oh never seen that tool before.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Linky to tool?

dudeofdoom

I can just about get the Pro One’s on the rim but nothing I can do seems to convince them to stay seated. Last straw was them becoming unseated and falling back down towards the well on a ride. Maybe doable with some sort of super compressor but even then a loss of pressure for whatever reason on a ride and I’d never be able to get them seated again.

On the some non Tubeless axis 2 wheels I used a cheap ebay copy of stans rim tape and built it up so the well was covered and the tyre dges were sliding accross the tape. Popped em up with an airshot I think.

I do carry a tube as well as I think i its a low volume tyre you’ll be lucky if its a big puncture itll go fully down and its hit and mis whether the tyred will stay seated enough for you to inflate, although ive seen mine go right down and Ive been able to recover. YMMV

The bigger schwalbe g-ones are ace thou as theygo soft then seal so a few strokes and your back to normal.

scaredypants

nothing I can do seems to convince them to stay seated

have your rims got “proper” UST-style ridges? They should hold the bead on once it’s seated so sounds like they’re not fully engaged
    I’m guessiing that you do pump up to pretty high pressures.
    Are the beads clean & smooth, without moulding lumps ?
    Other than ensuring the beads are “clean” and then slathering the rim (for me, not bead) in slightly dilute fairy liquid – shrug 😐

dudeofdoom

I may be not remembererising corretly it but Im sure when i’ve had bugger tyre wheel combos I’ve put tubes in and rode em for a while then reattempted with more success.

Probably Stretching the tyre tbh.

Like most things in life lots of lube is a must when mounting thou 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Linky to tool?

Just google bbb tyre tool. X-tool and others brand the same generic tool so buy whatever is cheapest.

dudeofdoom

IYou should hear a loud crack.

I was explaining this to someone in work that theres nothing as cool as that trye seating noise.

Its like the satisfying clunk you get when doing a car clutch and the splines align an the gearbox and engine pop back togeather.(after the mad shakey shakey)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips, but really have already tried everything and this tyre / rim combination is not going to work. Hence asking about the Hutchinson bead which thanks to beej I’ll try out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hutchinson Fusion 5 seated and able to pump up to 100psi without soap or sealant 🙂 Thank beej.

beej

I might have a new business idea, hiring out test tyres. Glad it worked!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 dudeofdoom that crack as it seats aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh success!

I remembered on todays ride the other tip – use a tube and ride, your right it stretches it.

GZ on success – yeah some tyre – rim combinations aren’t meant to be 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I might have a new business idea, hiring out test tyres.

I have often thought much the same about saddles 🙂

Anyway two tyres delivered and fitted with that satisfying crack x 2 🙂 Went for the Fusion 5 All Season in the new 11Storm compound from PBK at 30 quid each. They were cheaper at acycles but I think they’re the old compound and that would have bugged me. Look to measure up a bit narrower than the GP4000 they replaced. Looks like I’ll get ample opportunity to test them in the wet this week 😕

So in answer to my original question…

Anyone know if the bead on the Hutchinson is any more generous than the one on the Schwalbe Pro One?

Yes they are (or at least in the batches I’ve had.)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Hutchinson v Schwalbe road tubeless bead’ is closed to new replies.