Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Husker Du were very special
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Saw them in Newport at the Stow Hill Labour club, tiny little room which was rammed with folk. Brilliant gig.

bearGrease
    lister

I had a ticket to see Sugar at the Newcastle Mayfair in about 92, but a family crisis stopped me going! Saw Bob Mould in about 99 in Sheffield and he played hard for about 2 hours. Amazing gig.

Looking forward to his autobiog coming out in paperback…I’ve been listening to alot of his solo stuff recently, revisiting some albums that I hadn’t heard for a while. Workbook and Black Sheets of Rain are stunning.

Wish I’d seen Husker Du at their prime, too young though!

Shame he’s over here to support the Foo Fighters but isn’t doing any other gigs…he could easily sell out some good sized venues round the country.

dogbert
    Free Member

Bob Mould is high up on the list of “people I look up to” – Workbook and Black sheets are on heavy rotation in the car right now.

If you’ve not already check this out – circle of friendsYou Tube clip

Got the biography on order from Amazon (hope its better than the Kristin Hersh one, just could not get into that at all even though people kept saying how fantastic it was) At least Bob’s got a story to tell.

When I heard the other day that Bob will be supporting Foo’s (and yes i’ve got tickets) I was so happy i mentioned it to my wife, who replied “Bob who?”…….there’s a divorce in the offing

colournoise

Husker Du are great. discovered them via their Leicestershire ‘cousins’ who I actually have more of a soft spot for.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGCFgfQ6kY[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ckz7n1RSmA[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYaQOigozM[/video]

slainte 8) rob

lodious
    Free Member

There was a good chapter on Husker Du in the excellent book ‘Our band could be your life’.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Candy Apple Grey has some of my all time favourite songs hampered by some of the most atrocious production I’ve ever heard.

CountZero

“Hüsker Du? Just a band. Nirvana? Just a band. The Beatles? Just a band, The Clash? Just a band. Minor Threat? Just a band…”
    Sorry, just paraphrasing Dan le Sac Vs Scroobious Pip. I like Hüsker Du very much, and Bob Mould, but they’re no more special than many, many others from around then. Pavement, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees…, seen ’em all, all chiller, no filler, and impossible to set one above the others, really.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

colournoise

Weren’t Mega City 4 from Hampshire?

Husker Du were indeed very special. Too young to have seen them live, though have watched Bob Mould on a number of occasions.

alba23
    Free Member

Yeah thought mega city four were from Farnborough. The singer died not to long ago and it was in the local paper .

bob_summers

The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill

🙂

franki
    Free Member

Tim Gould is a big Bob Mould fan iirc…

ratswithwings
    Free Member

I always feel Leatherface were totally influenced by HD. Didnt really get into MC4.

Leatherface – Sour Grapes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3mECuI-2Jo&feature=related

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Husker Du were ace. Agree with oliverd1981 – the production on Candy Apple Grey is attrocious, the songs are just great.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill

Awesome tune, the best on that album is Plans I Make

They were before my time unfortunately, class band though.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Farkin’ love Husker Du! picked up an 18 track promo sampler about 2 years back, pretty much a greatest hits with something off every album.
    i remember paying 18 quid to get ‘Warehouse’ on import and being stoked at getting it so cheap! Worst production surely goes to ‘New Day Rising’ awful but so many great tunes.
    wonder where my New Day Rising Tee dissapeared to?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Yeah, Leatherface were fantastic too.

If you like them, you may well appreciate a band called Hot Water Music from Gainesville, Florida.

DezB
    Free Member

Something for the Husker Du fans to check out:

Bob Mould’s playlist

Plus

Book

eviljoe
    Free Member

Husker Du rocked: -) 🙂

Synchronicity at work; just roared back down to devon after doing The Gap with New Day Rising and Flip Yr Wig- home double quick!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Afraid to admit I was old enough to see them in their prime.

Quality gig, Bob never aid a word between songs, just feedback until the next aural assault started. Never quite sure how Grant Hart managed to drum and sing at same time to some of them.

Maybe that’s why I’m deaf in older age…..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

“I love you Bob!”

Raindog
    Free Member

I missed Husker Du, but loved Sugar – Beaster particularly. One day I’ll have a listen.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Pretty Green Eyes

[video]http://youtu.be/hMmksjQwE88[/video]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Husker Du were very special’ is closed to new replies.