• This topic has 28 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by swdan.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • HUNT 4Season Gravel Disc – anything better for the (or less) money?
  • whatgoesup

For a CAADX – for all duties – with 25mm Gatorskins on for general commuting / winter bike use (club runs etc) through to being capable for touring and maybe even putting some knobbly-ish tyres on for CX use.

Longevity and serviceability are important, light weight also but not if it’s at the expense of durability and these appear to have a 115KG weight limit which is pretty good for a 1629g weight – seems like a good compromise.

Are there any other options for less $$ – more like in the £250 ish price range? I’d ideally like to buy using the cycle to work scheme and not sure if you can even get the Hunt wheels through that.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Kinesis HD CX wheelset around that price.. Might be easier to get hold of on ctw

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Pretty much any LBS which sells Hunt wheels would be able to do them on C2W so they shouldn’t be that hard to get hold of.

whatgoesup

Ah – I didn’t realise you could buy Hunt wheels via shops – I thought they were direct sales only.

Who stocks them?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d be looking hard at durability/spares for use on a do-it all bike, especially including winter commuting and touring (note weight limit for that)..

BillOddie

I had this exact same debate recently. I ended up with some Hope 20FIVE-Pro 4 wheels from the lovely chaps at 18bikes.

ElVino

I would have thought for 25mm tyres the MASON x HUNT 4Season Disc would be a better option. They are lighter and have a slightly narrower internal rim width. I would have thought the ones you are suggesting would work better for a 28 & above tyre. They are the same price.

whatgoesup

I did originally look at the MASON x HUNT 4Season wheels – they’re lighter too – but their weight limit is 95KG, which is pretty much what I weigh and as I’m looking at these for long-term durability with possible touring thrown I thought better of it.

Good point re the width of the Gravel Discs – any experience of 25’s on them?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I happily run 25’s on 20mm inner width rims. Would go a touch bigger if that’s what I have. It pushes 25mm Michelin Pro 4 out to over 26mm

whatgoesup

Ah – I have the answer to my own question – I currently run the front as a 25mm gatorskin on Stans Crest 29er wheel- which is 21mm wide and it’s absolutely fine.

riddoch

Just asking for a friend, how are you getting wheels through the c2w? I had a similar thought but I couldn’t find anything that confirmed whether that was “approved”.

whatgoesup

C2W allows for purchase of parts – I recall that like the bike they should be for commuting – plus they should be bought after the bike – i.e. to keep the bike running. I think googling c2w policy rules etc gets to the official policy relatively easily

RustyNissanPrairie

Have just fitted a set of the Hunt Gravel wheels to my Norco Search for commuting/gravel duties. Have run them for 2weeks now- they are a great pair of wheels far stiffer than the original factory wheels, and the weight difference is really noticeable.
    I’m running Continue Cyclecross Speed 35’s

The only downside is that the supplied 6bolt to centre lock adaptors are utter crap, I had to dremel them to work but then the amount of rotational play between the disc and adaptor meant I binned them and bought some centre lock Shimano icetech rotors instead

J liveredge cycles have them in stock and are a tenner or so cheaper than Hunt themselves.

whatgoesup

I googled “J liveredge cycles” and drew a blank – could you drop me a PM or link / phone no etc please as one of the issues with Hunt wheels is availability – they’re on back-order from Hunt it seems.

Oh, re the C2W – please do check as I may be wrong re wheels – a quick check suggested that what I said might not be correct. I will do some digging myself before my purchase… but that’s not for a while I’m still contemplating

riddoch

The examples on the HRMC site are all accessories and I think frames and explicitly forbidden. Dynamos are allowed so as long as it’s a dynamo hub you’d be alright.
    As with a lot of this as long as your bike shop is happy it should be alright, there may be an implication at the end of the hire term on the valuation.

househusband

DT Swiss R24 Spline DB’s..? Perhaps a bit heavier than the Hunt wheels but I’m the same weight as you.

Can be found for well under £250; tubeless ready, come with all the adaptors you’d ever need for a disc road or gravel bike; I needed 12mm front axle wheelset which meant that this was one of the few out there that ticked the box besides the Hunts – but the weight limit and expense of the adaptors I’d need put me off.

whatgoesup

Those DT Swiss wheels look good – thanks for the recommendation, they’re on the shortlist.

Yep Neil I think you’re right – doing a refresh wheels are hard to justify as being safety equipment, so actual real $$s are needed (last time I went around this loop was related to a kiddie trailer).

whatgoesup

Thanks for link – spot on – now trying to avoid being tempted into a rash purchase…

Must. Not. Hit. “Buy”.

RustyNissanPrairie

I weigh 92kg, the other thing that swung it is that they use brass nipples whereas the Kenesis use alloy. 28spoke count for the gravels whereas the 24spoke for the Mason 4season.

Hunt do some wheels at £250 that looked good and use 6bolt hubs – edited to add that sold out

I would seriously just buy the gravels – you won’t be disappointed.

whatgoesup

Yeah, they do look like the “right” wheels which will likely outlast the bike – so I’ll probably go that way. They look to be durable, repairable (normal spokes etc) – I assume that the bearings are standard, commercially available sizes?

If someone would just buy my CAAD8 which is in the classifieds right now that makes it cash neutral.

RustyNissanPrairie

The hubs are rebranded Novatec so are supported parts/bearings wise.

I paid £349.99 and p&p was £11

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of accessories only purchases through c2w. The guidance quite clearly states it’s for safety accessories, so think you’d be hard pushed to justify some new wheels. Cyclescheme publish a list of permitted items as an example and it’s lights, helmets, clothing etc. https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/eops

Not to say you won’t get it, but you’ll be reliant on a shop who are happy to bend the rules a little.

whatgoesup

Yeah, I’m not up for falsifying – if it’s within the rules great if not then fair enough.

swdan
    Free Member

Not sure where you’re based but I picked up a set of Hunt wheels yesterday from Swift Cycles in London. They have some in stock I believe and can order in others (albeit there may be little point what with Hunt doing free delivery).
    I mainly bought from the shop to support my mate Jon who’s the owner

jwt
    Free Member

Hunt supply some spokes at purchase (at least they did with my Aero race season set?).

STATO
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member

are they not Powerway hubs?

No, those hubs dont look like anything HUNT uses. They use novatec on the majority at least, he has said this a few times in discussion on forums or facebook. You can tell as they are identical to a number of their models and have the anti bit guard on the freehub which the new Novatec have.

swdan
    Free Member

To add to the note about the £250 dura disc wheels. I enquired as to when they expected to get more in as was more than happy with those but was told that
    “unfortunately that was the last of them and we are not looking to produce any more of these at this time. We regularly look at updating and developing our wheels and have decided to focus our efforts on the higher spec performance Aero Light Disc, 4 Season Disc, and Gravel Disc wheelsets.”

Seems a shame but I guess they know what they’re doing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘HUNT 4Season Gravel Disc – anything better for the (or less) money?’ is closed to new replies.