Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hunger – how do you fix it?
  • number18
    Free Member

For those who either commute by bike, or simply those who exercise a lot;

how do you deal with the hunger? I’ve gone through periods of commuting by bike but I’m currently doing a lot of running, and I’m hungrier as a result.

Do you have any ideas for non chocolatey or crisp-like snacks I could leave in my drawer at work for when I need something extra? eg right now in the afternoon I tend to feel peckish, but tea isn’t for another few hours.

I’m currently enjoying a Cadbury Twirl but I’d prefer to have a healthier alternative afternoon snack. I usually have fruit at about 1400, but by 1600 I’m hungry again!

Cheers

P.S, nearly put this on the bike forum but wasn’t sure!

GregMay
    Free Member

Drink more fluids 🙂 Fills me up all day – but I pee a lot.

I tend to just leave nuts and suchlike around my desk. Also a few Naked bars. Mmm tasty.

jon1973
    Free Member

Lots of fruit

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cotton wool

wwaswas

I have a 1 pint mug – it’s amazing how much hunger a mug of tea that size will assuage.

Measured portions of nuts and raisins (rather than just a big bag you dip into) are good too.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Almonds

sandwicheater

Pie

4130s0ul
    Free Member

A lot of the time when you think you’re hungry you are in fact thirsty, the brain interprets the signals the same way.
    make sure you try drinking more fluids when you get the pangs.

alternatively trail mix is a good choice, high in energy content and easy enough to nibble.
    if it’s post commute then keep the salts and sugars topped up after burning the calories.

another option is make sure you eat well prior to commuting, died fruits / porridge oats for breakfast should help with the slow / fast burning energy and give you plenty in reserve until lunch.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Having just enjoyed a Twirl I know where you are coming from ! As above drink more water/nuts/fruit (although can have lots of sugars)

brooess
    Free Member

Drink lots of water
    Healthy snacks from the supermarket – oatcakes and honey, nuts and raisins, malt loaf etc
    fruit

I have a real sweet tooth + exercise a lot so I’m eating all the time – but having a drawer full of healthy stuff really helps keep away the cravings for bad food.

Sometimes though, I really need sugar – a cup of milk or chocolate milk can work wonders here

Bazz

In descending order, tea, Graze box, Greggs.

mogrim

I just had a pack of peanut M&Ms. Seems to have done the trick.

number18
    Free Member

sandwicheater – not sandwiches?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think before a biking commute I need to have something to eat, I normally don’t have anything and it’s a one hour hilly off road ride each way. I think some sort of cereal bar might be the best I can do on that front.

I’ll also try to drink more water during the day and get some oat cakes and honey to see me through ’til ‘home time’.

What’s a ‘Naked bar’?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Water and Green Tea, until you need the sugar, the sweet sweet sugar. What about protein drinks?

fasthaggis

Oatcakes

fionap

I make a batch of these up most weeks: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/honey-and-peanut-butter-booster-bars
    Tend to reduce the sugar content a bit and chuck in some extra honey, dried fruit and nuts/seeds depending on what’s around. The banana version is good but doesn’t keep as long.

brakes
    Free Member

boiled eggs are very filling.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Whey protein with milk. Keeps me off the pizzas.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ha e you tried ignoring the urge to eat? Give it ten or fifteen minutes and see if you’re still hungry. It comes in waves so why not let it pass?

*some will power required.

bigjim

two smaller breakfasts and two smaller lunches works for me. We get free fruit at work so I eat a couple of bananas and an apple most day, a lot of sugar but possibly healthier than a bar of something.

Bazz

Before i set off on my cycle commute, 22 miles rolling terrain, i have a shake of milk, water, finely ground oats and whey protein, I can’t do rushed breakfasts of solid food it just gives me stitch, this however is fine and provides enough energy to get up the hills.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ha e you tried ignoring the urge to eat? Give it ten or fifteen minutes and see if you’re still hungry. It comes in waves so why not let it pass?

*some will power required.

I’ve done a couple of four-day fasts before. You’re right, it does come in waves. The worse was walking down the main road at night, I swear I could smell every single dish cooked by every single restaurant and takeaway. The ‘end of fast fry-up’ was legendary 😀

iamroughrider
    Free Member

home made smoothies with fruit and veg in them. You could add oats in the mix or anything else really. 🙂

cheers_drive

brakes – Member
    boiled eggs are very filling.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Low GI carbs are your friend.

emsz
    Free Member

ummmm, ignore it?

seriously the idea of ‘snacking’ is an invention to make spend money. You won’t die.

mildred

I commute to work & do a fair bit of exercise yet I never get hunger pangs or thirsty… That is, until I’m frickin starving or totally de-hydrated. It’s weird, I just don’t those feelings but the problem is, that as soon as I get that overwhelming starving/thirsty/dehydration feeling I just binge. This includes drinks.

Does anyone else get this?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t believe Binners hasn’t posted a selection of Greggs’ ‘goodies’…. 😀

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Ha e you tried ignoring the urge to eat?

This.

Or eat more breakfast and lunch.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hunger – how do you fix it?’ is closed to new replies.