Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hunger Games
  • tyger
    Free Member

Saw this film last night and really enjoyed it – got me wanting to read the books 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It was ok, but would have been better if Buzz-Saw, Dynamo, Fireball, Sub-Zero and Captain Freedom were in it. Much better.

johnners
    Free Member

got me wanting to read the books

Aren’t they pitched at young teenage girls?

tyger
    Free Member

Only in the same way Harry Potter is pitched for children.
    A good story is a good story in my book! 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Not really. I dont think they’re ” just” for girls. My brovs reading them ATM. The heroine is a girl ( obviously) but that shouldn’t make a difference

kimbers

godzilla
    Free Member

It’s a good film, I downloaded the audio books for the next parts of the trilogy too 😛

RobHilton
    Free Member

The heroine is a girl ( obviously) but that shouldn’t make a difference

Absolutely! I renember reading the Nancy Drew mysteries as a child and it never did me any harm.

Peyote
    Free Member

I remember reading Malory Towers when I was younger (I’m male BTW). Not sure if it did me any harm, my Psychoanalyst should be able to tell me tho.

It was the Magic Faraway tree that did the most damage…

johnners
    Free Member

Sure, a good story is a good story but the way it’s written can still pitch it at a cetain demographic. I’ve not read the Hunger Games trilogy but I’ve seen a fair bit about it being a successor (in print and film) to the Twilight franchise.

spacemonkey

I gave the first book a try a while back but gave up half way through. Full of girly faff and dull backstory BS. I really don’t know what all the fuss is about.

hels
    Free Member

Battle Royale was ace. Japanese schoolgirls bitchy giggling then blowing each other away with Uzis.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Read the books first and enjoyed them. Film was guff though, won’t be going to see the next one.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’ve read the first book, my 10yo wanted to read it so thought I’d read it first, thoroughly enjoyed it. It may be a bit girly with all the confusing thoughts about Peeta and Gale, presumably standard teenage fare, similar to Twilight? Dunno. But that’s about it, found the writing to be spare and pacey and the actual games portion of the book (which must be over half of it) exciting, it fairly rattles along. Looking forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.

deft
    Free Member

The first book is drivel. I know it’s aimed at younger folk but that just makes it all the more patronising. How many deus ex machinas and wonky moralisations can you cram into one story?

Cougar

I really enjoyed the film, but it felt to me like there were chunks missing, plot devices left hanging that didn’t make a lot of sense. My OH filled in the blanks as she’d read the book, but it irritated me that she had to.

Coyote
    Free Member

Read all the books. Really, really enjoyed them.

mustard
    Free Member

The author has never seen Battle Royale honest, no, really she hasn’t 🙄

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve not read the Hunger Games trilogy 🙄 but your certain they’re for girls…

mustard, I think she said her inspiration was watching the telly and surfing between games shows and the Iraq war, and she said it was just surreal.

It’s not really the same as twilight, which is all emo crap (and I enjoyed them, so that says loads about me LOL)

Prefer HP and Games for strong female leads, Hermione is smart, and Katniss (Hunger Games) is self reliant and cool, Bella just worries that Edward doesn’t fancy her… 🙄

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve read the trilogy and I really liked it, read the lot in 2 days! I do find that I enjoy most books that I read though. I watched the film and felt that the book spoilt it a little for me as the book just has so much more detail etc… Still thought that the film was OK though. Conversely to books I actually like few films that I watch.

It’s not really that similar to Battle Royale although there obviously are similarities. Also, the Battle Royale book is utterly brutal!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hunger Games’ is closed to new replies.