Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Human Resourcists- "dormant" staff law?
  • Northwind

I’m not a human resourcist but we run a casual staff of about a hundred students for events on our campus. Every so often, I instruct a payment for one of my guys, and I’m told they’ve been removed from the payroll as it’s more than 3 months since they worked- supposedly there’s a legal requirement to cleanse your payroll. Just wondered if anyone knows any more about that? Not entirely convinced! And it’s a pain in the bum for my guys, we have to keep on getting them to fill in new forms and provide new ID.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

This used to happen to me at Uni,

Having spoken to various people it came down to the fact that every person on the payroll cost £’s whether they were active or not. It was cheaper to get rid and then reinstate than maintain them on the payroll.

When I say cheaper, I mean the lost time to staff and students doesn’t appear on the payroll bill so they were able to ignore it.

Dom

trail_rat
    Free Member

i on the otherhand was still registered as being on the uni payroll 3 years after i left…..

only found out when HMRC allocated part of my tax free allowance to them on the end of year statement – thus id been taxed on more of my wage from my only current employment.

db

No legal requirement I’m aware of to ‘clean’ the payroll. More likely a local policy. I have zero hrs (casual) people on the payroll who have been around for years.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Home Office brought it in a few years ago along with ID checks on all new employees. They kind of never got enforced as it Home Office dictating and HMRC who did the checking.
    When they brought Real Time Information in the 3 month rule came back in as casual staff would leave a job without telling the employer then complain to the new employer that they were getting taxed at basic rate because as far as HMRC they were still employed elsewhere because they weren’t processed as a leaver.

Northwind

Ah, that makes sense. Bollocks though.

Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Human Resourcists- "dormant" staff law?’ is closed to new replies.