Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Huge oil find in the Surrey hills
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Oil field found near Gatwick ‘could be twice the size of North Sea oil field’

Stephen Sanderson, UK Oil and Gas Investments, told the BBC: ‘We think we’ve found a very significant discovery here, probably the largest in the last 30 years, and we think it has national significance.’

Should liven up the anti fracking debate nicely 😆

dragon
    Free Member

Report I saw said they thought the rock was already fractured and could be developed with normal horizontal drilling etc. not via fracking.

kimbers

meh, dont believe the hype

it estimates that 3% to 15% of the oil could be recovered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32229203

still its good for their share price

titusrider
    Free Member

Lots of Nimbys round here…. who know how to get in touch with their MP 🙂

Just so long as they leave the downs alone, it doesn’t affect Reigate house prices and its reasonably hidden then I don’t really mind 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

already been sold to france

ninfan
    Free Member

Ah, I doubt the facts about fracking will get in the way of good old fashioned green scaremongering and house price paranoia will they
    😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Does that mean the govt want Scotland out now? 😆

aP
    Free Member

Seeing as its near Haywards Heath I don’t think it’ll affect Reigate or the Surrey Hills much at all.
    How many of the protesters drive cars/ fly away on holiday or business/ eat intensively farmed food and wear synthetic clothes?

ninfan
    Free Member

Does that mean the govt want Scotland out now?

No chance, Sturgeon has already been on TV telling us how this part of Surrey ‘clearly’ lies within Scotland’s boundaries according to international law!

tthew

How many of the protesters drive cars/ fly away on holiday or business/ eat intensively farmed food and wear synthetic clothes?

do you really think that figures in a NIMBY’s consideration of the issue. 🙄

hatter

No, but polticans seeking Mrs Chaulmston – Pigfancier of Cheadle’s vote can.

Local issues tend to have a huge affect on how people vote in general elections and any potential MP/Councillor who whips up a NIMBY house price panic on this and then pledges to fight it tooth and nail will probably do well out of it, especially now traditionally secure Tory MP’s in the South East have UKIP breathing down their necks.

Very similar opportunism is currently being displayed regarding HS2 with candidates in constituencies along the route falling over themselves to say how opposed to it they are in the full knowledge that there’s sod all they can do to stop it.

yunki
    Free Member

Chaulmston-Pigfancier.. oops yes!

flippin auto-correct 😳

(and I meant Chertsey not Cheadle)

piemonster

I’m dissapointed the Scotland gags took as long as they did to appear.

maxtorque

I think it was found under the new trail jump that got built last week by the guy crowing about it on here……… 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

meh, dont believe the hype
    it estimates that 3% to 15% of the oil could be recovered.

So, depending on which figures you use, up to 30% of our current total production per year, from one area.

Yeah. Meh 😉

unknown
    Free Member

Excellent. I look forward to the pooling and sharing of these resource amongst our family of nations in this most united of kingdoms.

djambo
    Free Member

A great opportunity to the govt to do it right this time and set up some Norweigian style wealth fund with this windfall of tax receipts.

….actually that’s be a great election policy. Create a sovereign wealth fund to offset all this austerity and contribute to the long term future of the country rather than this ridiculous short termism we seem to have ended up with these days.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a great opportunity for the Gov’t to do it right this time, and start leaving fossil fuels in the ground, contributing to the long term future of the country World rather than this ridiculous short termism we seem to have ended up with these days.

footflaps

rather than this ridiculous short termism we seem to have ended up with these days.

AKA “The Human Condition”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A great opportunity to the govt to………

No chance. I’m moving to Crawley and going to throw my support behind the Sussex National Party. I don’t see any reason why the Westminster government should get their dirty grubby hands on our oil.

El-bent
    Free Member

I doubt the facts about fracking will get in the way of good old fashioned green scaremongering

Yer, pumping Water(a relatively scarce resource in the south east) and chemicals into the ground which could potentially leak into the water table is nothing to be worried about.

LAT

Best be getting those immigration quotas In place before the grubby foreigners turn up and take all the well paid jobs that are too dirty for the southern pansies. On the plus side the influx of wealthy outsiders could be good for house prices.

That is supposed to be a joke. I am both a southern pansy and an ecconomic migrant.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The Surrey and Sussex Sovereign (sic) Wealth Fund – it does have a certain ring to it!!

ninfan
    Free Member

could potentially

You see, there’s your problem, there’s a lot of things that could potentially happen – it’s a completley useless statement as it does not lead to any appreciable calculation of risk

Perhaps we shouldn’t launch any more satellites into space, as one could potentially land on my house? Jesus, try going through the day and working out all the could potentially outcomes that you are exposed to and you wouldn’t get out of bed (oops, you could potentially be strangled by your own bedsheets)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You see, there’s your problem, there’s a lot of things that could potentially happen – it’s a completley useless statement as it does not lead to any appreciable calculation of risk

There’s no potentialy about it, every aquafer in the UK is currently contaminated by Benzene to in excess of the WHO’s guidlines for being safe.

Ironicly, nothing (directly) to do with the oil industry either. It mostly happened inbetween banning Lead in petrol and (effectively) banning Benzene which for a long while was the substitute used to get the octane rating up. Drive a car in the 90’s without a catalytic converter? It’s your fault.

matt_outandabout

There’s no potentialy about it, every aquafer in the UK is currently contaminated by Benzene to in excess of the WHO’s guidlines for being safe.

Every_single_one?

zippykona

Stuff the Nissan Note I’m getting one like this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Every_single_one?

Yup, gets there by rainfall. The WHO levels are insanely low though, levels to cause one in a million chance of cancer in a lifetime (So about 1 case a year in the UK). There isnt a place on earth that meets their atmospheric benzene levels either.

zippykona

Near Mohamed al fayed’s house in Oxted there’s one of those pipes that burn the gas off. Anyone know if this is anything to do with the oil? The pipe has been there over 20 years.

matt_outandabout

I think Aberdonian accents will become more common darn saaarth shorly.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I know exactly where they found the oil as I drive down the road quite often and have wondered what this big green gates leading to some minor woods were for. In recent months the ‘track’ has been expanded and covered in tarmac and more fencing added….now it all becomes clear! 8)

Its actually a not very attractive area, quite flat and close to link roads to the M23, so easy for a lot of large vehicles to get in and out without causing much issue.

ninfan
    Free Member

Zippykona: Would expect so – they’re still drilling and extracting under his house I believe, there was a big court case a few years ago where he demanded a share of the profits but was told to FO as legally it’s all the Queens oil (that should set JHJ off on one)

chewkw
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Does that mean the govt want Scotland out now?

No chance, Sturgeon has already been on TV telling us how this part of Surrey ‘clearly’ lies within Scotland’s boundaries according to international law! [/quote]

😆 I see.

May I suggest you lot (ya, you lot :mrgreen: ) in the south starts speaking in Scottish accent please in anticipation of the coronation of our new Scottish Queen Sturgeon.

(in the meantime find ways of jumping to the front of the welfare queue coz we are all going to be fed oil from now on … 😆 )

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Oil has been found in West Sussex. Just sayin 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

There isnt a place on earth that meets their atmospheric benzene levels either.

Worth referencing then.

chewkw
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

There isnt a place on earth that meets their atmospheric benzene levels either.

Worth referencing then. [/quote]

We are rich! Rich! Rich beyond our means! Hoooray! 😆

Rockape63
    Free Member

The Oil has been found in West Sussex. Just sayin

Horley in Surrey actually old Chap! 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Horley in Surrey actually old Chap!

I detect a turf war ! I read West Sussex near Gatwick

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Horley might be in Surrey but is Horse Hill where they found the oil in Surrey ?

Actually I think it is because it appears to be very near the weekly Addiscombe CC club run.

In which case that’s even better because as a Surrey resident I can claim the oil as belonging to the people of Surrey, the Sussex National Party can find their own oil.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Huge oil find in the Surrey hills’ is closed to new replies.