Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • http://www.safe-t-seat.co.uk/
  • neilforrow

anyone used one of these…??…

http://www.safe-t-seat.co.uk/

mintimperial

Yes, I bought one last week. Used it once for about an hour so far, so can only really offer first impressions.

Pros: Son (2) is quite happy and comfortable it it, and he's a picky little B and will let us know if the slightest detail is not up to scratch. The bike is reasonably easy to control with it attached (although I have no experience of other types of seats so take that as you will). Very good for enabling on-bike child/parent chatting, which is why I went for it in the first place. Very easy to get on and off the bike, five minutes with an allen key, tops.

Cons: it's big, this can make getting on the bike a bit difficult because the space between saddle and seat is a bit restricted; I'm 5'10", if you're much under that you may find it a problem. It appears to have interfered with the headset, which required tightening up on a normal ride after I'd taken it off – not a big deal but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Overall I'm pleased with it: it's not perfect, but it does the job well enough and allows me to chat to my boy whilst we're riding along without taking my eyes off the trail.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try mumsnet 😛

Doh1Nut

Have not used that one as was not sure about extra weight on handlebars.
    I use a
    We ride
    which is good but really does cut down the area in front of the saddle so I struggle to drop down off the front of the saddle when stopping. I think I will add another adjustment hole to allow the seat to be moved a couple of inches further forward.
    If you have a low saddle then it is not an issue

N

convert

Knowing how much my front panniers effect my handling, and they are low down on the forks, I would imagine this could be very interesting! Add a wriggly kid and it could be lethal! Still – you'll have a bit of cushioning in front of you should you fall!

neilforrow

I was thinking about the extra weight… and how it will effect the bike.. but I am not going to be attacking some tech singletrack… the odd toe path or gentle woodland pootle maybe…

doh1nut – will look into the one you got… have they got a website… I couldnt find one?

thomthumb
    Free Member

have a look at what mounting it leaves when you remove the seat part from the bike – there is one in my bike shed at work that some times has the kid seat, and other times has a big metal plate which looks like it could castrate a bull!! don't know what make though.

psst – tow path

neilforrow

tow, toe, moose knuckle, all the same thing…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've just built my own kiddie front seat. I'll post some pics soon.

bigdawg
    Free Member

if littlun is stable and able to hold on thne you need one of these…

http://www.loct.co.uk/

mines been on it since he was 2 1/2 and loves it, built an old zaskar up for him which this goes on and thats now his bike too, have yet to find something we cant ride… up or down, he quite often pre rides xc race courses with me… 😀

If hes too young then it has to be a wee ride which my 1 year old daughter has with mumm, but not really designed for off road – and cheapest place to get them is asda!

2tyred

I've got one (which I'll probably be selling before long) – used for both my kids (now 5 and 2) on most of my bikes over the years.

Would recommend highly – easy to get on and off, nice central balanced weight, more fun for junior getting to see everything, easier to talk to them while riding. We've used ours pretty much constantly for both kids from when they were 6 months to when they've outgrown it, from local pool/shops/park/nursery trips to bigger days out with proper bikes.

Never feels dangerous, as the seat is attached to a 'spike', bolted onto the stem, and cantilevers back towards you. This means the weight of the child is roughly midway between you and the front wheel which keeps everything stable. We've got an extra spike, to make it easier to switch the seat between my bike and Mrs Tyred's if we're riding somewhere proper, means we can both disappear for a quick solo blast with minimum faffage. You wouldn't want a nadger/spike or knee/spike interface though!

I bought ours direct from the US makers, looks like you can buy from the UK now.

2tyred

if littlun is stable and able to hold on thne you need one of these…

http://www.loct.co.uk/

That's really smart, I like the look of that!

neilforrow

2tyred – email in profile if yu are selling it on 😉

bigdawg – that looks cracking… but my boy is a bit too young for that… (yet)

bigdawg
    Free Member

it is the best bike seat Ive used, but the downside is they have to be ready for it, the upside is I get to go ride my bike every weekend and littlun really does come too, also good for hill training, where I constantly get reminded Im going very slow.. 😉

2tyred

2tyred – email in profile if yu are selling it on

Neil – I'll check how close the littl'un is to outgrowing it and drop you an email. If you're not in a mad rush you're more than welcome to it.

neilforrow

cheers… not in a rush… Little man is 7 months… so getting all the kit togeather… would gladly take it off your hands… once you have worked out when you want rid, and a price… let me know…

neil.

bigdawg
    Free Member

just my own experiences but can these seats be reclined?? When my little girl was 7 months we first tried her in a rear reclined seat, which worked for a while but if youve ever used one youll know theyre not great especially when they fall asleep – and they will fall asleep. If you cant recline the seat their head will just be bouncing around in front of them, which is why we went for the weeride as it had somewhere for her head when shes asleep…

Burchy1
    Free Member

Neil is this going on the Glory????

neilforrow

yep… recon the little man would love 'bendon's track' at Triscombe… 😆

get him used to the steeps from an early age.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘http://www.safe-t-seat.co.uk/’ is closed to new replies.