• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • HTII Bottom Bracket conundrum – Hope, stainless or ceramic?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Current HTII bottom bracket (Shimano LX) dead so looking for replacement.
    Have seen the Hope stainless and ceramic bb's at £50 and £70 respectively.
    They're lovely but expensive – is the ceramic worth the £ over the stainless?

Or should I get XTR from CRC for £40 instead?
    Or something else entirely?

highclimber
    Free Member

I have an XT external BB, works perfectly fine and is V. smooth. I don't know if it is worth buying a Hope BB but given the fact that THIS ONE is half the price, I know where i would put my money!

Northwind

XT would be my advice too, they just seem to work. Deore is cheaper but the sealing isn't great (I'm told this year's Depre is a previous year's XT, don't know if that's true)

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Oh, or the Pace RC80?

TooTall
    Free Member

You'd be hard pushed to beat this:

bearing upgrade

I'll be using that route next.

jam-bo

Easy to replace the bearing if you have a vice, hammer and punch. Took me ten minutes to swap a set over yesterday, I think a pair of bearings cost me £6.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Liking the idea of bearing replacement rather than a whole new bb – thanks :o)

Dave.
    Free Member

Tried RF X-type (don't bother) XTR, XT etc. No standard BB's last me long when it's gets to the winter.I've done all the bearing replacement thing which is cheaper than a new BB and only takes 10 mins or so.

Tried a Hope ceramic last summer and still going strong (and smooth) after a winters worth of abuse. The new BB shell looks very nice too. I reccomend trying one.

br
    Free Member

I've both the SS and ceramic Hopes, tbh I don't really notice the difference between the two, but even if it was only 0.5%, its still 0.5% of free-ness.
    And both have easily outlasted previous Shimano ones, and still spin smooth. If you've the cash go ceramic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘HTII Bottom Bracket conundrum – Hope, stainless or ceramic?’ is closed to new replies.