Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • HTC- why not? The One S. Issues?
  • hora
    Free Member

Tried Apple.(pretty but small)..S3….Sony

but only the One S was intuitive and felt at ‘home’ using it.

A few people have mentioned quality issues though. Do they have a rep? Online reviews give no mention.

Pook

bobbins.

hora
    Free Member

Well its either that or the S3

Pook

s3.

fadda

I’ve had a One X for a few weeks now, and it’s ORSM!

THE One S can’t be that different, can it…?

hora
    Free Member

How are you finding battery life and any usability niggles?

fadda

Have to charge it all the time, but that’s no different to my previous desire (or any other smartphone).

I think android/sense is highly intuitive. As above though, I guess I’ve come from that on my last phone, so I don’t have the same comparison as others.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m using Juicedefender on my SensationXE, it’s made a noticeable difference to the battery life.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Got a One S and love it.
    No problem at all, it last me a full day.
    And actually last longer than exspecting when using Map and GPS on it.

Only quality issue i have seen noticed was the anodizing one the lighter coloured on, where they replaced a load.
    I got the darker version which is a different “coating” and it looks and feel really nice.
    To me the One X was just to big but the S is a perfect size for me.

Cougar

A few people have mentioned quality issues though

Do these people own HTCs or iPhones?

Have to charge it all the time, but that’s no different to my previous desire (or any other smartphone).

And your usage means battery life is that much of an issue, you can always carry a spare battery.

julians
    Free Member

I have an HTC one x, and I reckon its pretty good, the battery life is a lot better than I expected. If you dont ‘use’ the phone, you’ll get 4-5 days of standby, if you use it heavily it’ll probably last the day, but it really does depend on your usage.

No complaints about it here.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Using Juice Def on my GS and it’s been a good ttol, shall load it to my S3.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Can’t swap batteries on the HTC ONE S

Cougar

Really now? Gosh. That seems a bit of a backwards step by HTC.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Yes i think it is as well.
    No SD card slot either.

I decided i could live without either in the end but at first i did nearly rule it out due to this.

cooie

Gosh. That seems a bit of a backwards step by HTC.

B@gger, had made my mind up on one.
    Have to look for something else now 🙁

Cougar

A brief Google would suggest that a lot of the reported “problems” have been resolved (GPS issue on early releases draining the battery, fixed with an update), there’s a lot of battery optimisations gone on, and the One S is a lot better for battery than the One X (understandably).

Even so, I think that might well be a dealbreaker for me too if I were in the market.

cooie

And a lot lot of the newer smartphones too 👿

deviant
    Free Member

HTC One-S owner here….no need to swap batteries as the battery lasts for a full working day with no need for a top up charge.

Mine comes off charge as 6am when i leave for work and gets hammered all day, i have twitter and facebook feed/notifications on all day, sometimes use GPS/Sat-Nav, listen to music on Youtube, have push email enabled, send some texts, browse the forum, make some calls and get home at 8pm with around 30% left….the other day when i was busy at work and didnt use it much i didnt charge it when i got home and was curious to see how long it would last on lighter use…got to 28hrs with 10% battery left….not bad at all….considerably better than the Samsung Nexus-S i had beforehand.

The reason is the chip, i mentioned this in another thread….the Qualcomm S4 in the One-S is about the best processor available in the world right now and there is a worldwide shortage because of this….its built on a 28nm processes whereas the One-X and Galaxy S3 are 40nm and 32 nm respectively….the lower the number the more efficient the chipset….smoother operation, better battery use, less heat etc….

I have the black one with the metal unibody design and Gorilla Glass screen, its impossibly thin and far more sturdy that the plastic Nexus i had before….gorgeous phone, i’m hoping that quad core processors and ridiculously large screens are a passing fad and manufacturers go back to building clean, efficient phones instead of willing waving about core count….its like the nonsense with the megapixels war a few years ago….thankfully that has now calmed down with most phones having between 8-12 megapixel cameras.

glenh
    Free Member

Qualcomm S4 in the One-S is about the best processor available in the world right now and there is a worldwide shortage because of this….its built on a 28nm processes whereas the One-X and Galaxy S3 are 40nm and 32 nm respectively….the lower the number the more efficient the chipset….smoother operation, better battery use, less heat etc….

What about the 22nm Intel medfield atom in the Orange San Diego?
    Interestingly, no willy waving core count on that.

julians
    Free Member

deviant , I’ve got to pick you up on this bit:-

the lower the number the more efficient the chipset….smoother operation, better battery use, less heat etc….

A smaller manufacturing process wont necesarily result in smoother operation, the other bits are true, better battery, less heat.

All other things being equal, Smoother operation comes from a more powerful processor, ie number of instructions per second it can process, which in the same family of processors is related to clock speed (ghz), ie the higher the clock speed the more powerful the processor – Note this is only true for processors of the same family

CountZero

If people are so concerned about replaceable batteries, go onto Amazon and look for 5000mAh twin USB batteries.
    Cost you about fifteen quid, and you can charge other devices with it as well.
    You can’t use the phone battery for any other function.
    I’m sure some will find issue with the concept, but I find it very useful for my phone, camera, (it charges via USB, as well as having a removable battery), and a pair of X-Mini speakers.

willej

I got the darker version which is a different “coating” and it looks and feel really nice.

Not a coating, perhaps the coolest finishing process ever? #GEEK!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPZ7y1EDKvk[/video]

Certainly on my list of new phones, not just because of the finish!

deviant
    Free Member

Glenh….yeah Intel’s Medfield chip is getting some good reviews at the moment, is the Orange San Diego only available on that network?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘HTC- why not? The One S. Issues?’ is closed to new replies.