• This topic has 30 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • HTC Users….Is it me?
  • Houns

Or are HTC’s USB leads/chargers crap?

I’m on my second HTC phone, the first (Hero) USB lead frayed around the connector that goes in to the phone after about 9 months. Luckily I was charging it via my desktop at work when I noticed the wire melt and smoke a little!
    My Sensation, that i’ve had for 4 months has already started and will need replacing ASAP.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or is it just me doing something with the charger?!

ojom
    Free Member

Me too. Everyday is a battle at bedtime to orientate the wire and the phone in EXACTLY the right position to make it work.

I complained and got a massive email telling me to return it all but if they find no fault then the bill will be epic.

I just moan about it instead on the internet like you. It’s the best way to deal with it.

p.s. i am sending you an invoice this week btw assuming you are at work..?

kevj
    Free Member

I still have the USB cable from the phone before, a Nokia Navigator. Once the HTC cable began to do this, I just reverted to the Nokia one and have had no problems at all.

rwc03
    Free Member

I purchased a longer micro usb cable for a £1 as the cable was too short for me and never had a problem. Short cable is now at work to charge from the computer.

Houns

tbc – Not there at the min, address it to one of my minions 8)

Now see I could use the numerous other usb leads I have, however the Sensation is a micro-USB 2.0 which I don’t have so will have to fork out all of £3 on eBay for a new one from China 😡

kayak23

Yup, mine too… Desire HD

mintimperial

Hmm. I’ve had three HTCs so far and the cables and chargers have outlived two of the phones.

portlyone

Mine’s seen daily use for around 8 months now, no issues with the charger…

meehaja
    Free Member

Crap. Every night I have to balance the wire over a book, leaving the phone lifted up slightly in order to get any charge.

jon1973
    Free Member

not really had any issues with mine, but you can buy a replacement charger for about £5. I thought a lot of newer phones used that micro-usb charger.

stumpy01

Isn’t micro USB becoming the standard for mobile phones?

I’ve had my HTC Desire for 18 months now and it works fine with the original lead, plus a proper HTC car charging lead that I’ve had for about 6-8 months.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No problems with my Desire which is now 18 months old.

mrben100
    Free Member

HTC Desire HD – had since Feb and no cable issues.

Then again I look after my stuff 😉

kimbers

mines been fine for a year I quite like the chargers actually doubles up as an iPhone charger of I swap outthe usb lead

craigxxl
    Free Member

For those struggling with their cables. I have the charger, cable and a usb docking station from my HTC Desire. Anyone who wants it can have it all for the cost of postage.

druidh
    Free Member

No problems with mine and it’s past 18 months old. That connector is such a standard these days though so it’s easy to pick up something cheap.

Cougar

Isn’t micro USB becoming the standard for mobile phones?

Yes. Most major vendors are on board with it as a standard (including, oddly, Apple, though I’ll believe it when I see it).

Never had a problem with microUSB myself. It must be yous all being ham-fisted goits. (-:

Houns

Here’s mine
    Genuinely not doing anything wrong with it, all I’m doing is plugging my phone in and unplugging it. I don’t wrap the lead up. When the phone is charging I leave it on a flat surface. Not being ham-fisted at all

GrahamS

Apple, though I’ll believe it when I see it

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/10/if-youre-european-apple-now-lets-you-charge-your-iphone-via-micro-usb/

(a uniquely Apple “solution” 🙂 )

MrGreedy

No problems here either. Are these OEM ones you’re having problems with or aftermarket?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

My desire has been fine for 16 months. Previous Sony Ericsson had issues though.

Houns

Both been the leads that have come from htc with the phone (oem)

tang
    Free Member

Craig, ill take you up on that please. Mail in profile.

DickBarton

Craigxxl, any idea on postage cost?

I have no issues with mine, about 11 months now. I use a blackberry charger at work and a car charger. Blackberry cable appears a bit chunkier and sturdier.

Stainypants

Desire since april last year no problems, now Sony proprietary headphones last me a week.

petefromearth

Whatever you do don’t buy one of the cheap ones of eBay. Even though the plug might fit, the ones I bought made the phone go nuts. On closer inspection the voltage and current rating was different to the HTC one, even though the seller claimed it was compatible with loads of phones including my desire.

Luckily there was no damaged caused and I got a refund eventually

Bought an HTC one instead (the same one that’s supplied) and have never had any problems with them

Pieface

Mine went (not like yours, just stopped working) but the Nokia one I replaced it with is fine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

DickBarton, I’ll let Tang have first refusal. It all weighs just under 250g inc the unused headphones which works out at £1.96 1st class or £2.72 1st recorded. I’m not going to use them now so rather than them sitting around idle someone can make use of them. If you feel guilty about getting them so cheap make a donation to Help for Heroes.

takisawa2

I have a desktop cradle for my Desire HD, that despite my fears has proven well worth £12.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I’ve had two go just like that. Replaced one with what was supposed to be a data usb charger and it won’t send/receive data through it 🙁

YOu’d think they would be able to make them a bit more durable.

Del

looks like a pretty even split. no bother with mine. 1 year old.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘HTC Users….Is it me?’ is closed to new replies.