Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • HTC One X – phone upgrade content.
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Anyone got one? do you like it? I have a HTC Desire at the minute and can get a new one, probably not an upgrade as O2 offering me shizzle deals. Can get a HTC One X though for about £22 a month. I’ve had a look at the tech geek sites but way too techy geeky for me!!! Just want any user comments … cheers.

Haze

In a similar position myself, only I have a very tired, slow and annoying Wildfire.

Had a quick play on a One-X in store and the interface seemed very slick, would also be interested to hear any real world opinions…

Haze

Double post

Cletus

HTC One X is a very large phone. This makes it great for browsing, apps etc. but could be a pain to use for calls if you have small hands. Other potential issues are no micro-SD slot and it uses a mini-SIM – these may not be important to you. Can I ask where you can get one for £22/month.

julians
    Free Member

I have got one.

Its a great phone, no complaints here, fast, slick, great screen etc. Battery lasts me 2 days.

There are a couple of downsides from my point of view :-

It doesn’t have an SD card slot, so you can’t expand the storage.
    The camera lens on the rear is easily scratched, but this is solved by using one of those clear lens protectors

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance but what issue would a mini SIM be? I guess if the handset broke you oculdn’t just slot the SIM into another handset? is that what you mean? DO you need a micro-SD slot? It has 16GB memory or was it 32gb? see I’m a thickie adder.

Talk mobile have it for £25 a month, 500 min, 1500 text and 1GB data, but as a new customer if you buy that plan via topcashback you get £60.60 back which if you then split that cost over the 24 month period works out at £22 ish a month.

shameless plug if not on TCB linky here (helps me get a few extra £’s!)
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/fran_whyte

julians
    Free Member

It comes with 32gb storage built in which is more than enough for most people, but some will find it limiting and will want to expand it via an SD card.

Micro SIM card slot is only a problem if you want to put a SIM card from another non micro SIM card device in the phone, or the other way round.

dave360

Had one for last four weeks. It’s bigger, but slimmer and lighter than the HTC Hero it replaced. It fits in trouser pocket OK.

The screen clarity and resolution is excellent as is the battery life. The 1.5ghz processor means that apps open quickly and the large screen size means that it is a viable replacement for browsing the web and emails instead of carting a laptop about on short trips. Love it.

crush83
    Free Member

had mine about 2 months.

its awesome. some think it is too big bit it is only a little longer and no wider than the HTC Desire HD it replaced.

everything is fast and smooth, games, video all play smooth and look great on the screen.

easy to navigate and if you are used to HTC very intuative location of setting and apps.

if your worried about memory it has dropbox which is like the i phone’s cloud.

For me it is awesome. i refuse to get an I phone and be a sheep just because everyone elce has one and its (apparently) the ”best” phone. the HTC is better in nearly all departments. the thing that would make it perfect would be app store insted of google ply but that is just a personal thing.

HTC ONE X FTW!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sounds good micro SIm and additional memory won’t effect me only worry is size but I suppose as a girl I always carry a handbag anyway so not really a problem. Having had a Desire for last 2yrs and loving it I guess I can’t see myself hating it!!

druidh
    Free Member

I looked at the One X (also coming from a Desire) and decided it was just too big. I opted for the One S instead. It has no SD card slot, but the 16GB on-board storage is going to be big enough for anything I need.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Is the One S still a decent upgrade? As I was originally offered One V but not a huge step up and hence would rather go SIM only but I keep getting that stupid “low memory” thing!! Mmmmm dilemma it was that or a Samsung S2… but One X seems to be significantly better. Thoughts??

druidh
    Free Member

S2 was also an option (as they’re trying to shift them now that the S3 is available) – but I think it’s also a bit lardy. Like you, I was happy with the Desire and considered a Sim-only deal, but the lack of space for installing Apps (and a scratched camera lens) persuaded me otherwise.

kayak23

Why not go for the One-S instead?
    Its pretty much everything the One-x is but slightly smaller, lovely and thin. Its what I got when I upgraded from an HTC Desire HD, which it is slightly smaller than and about half the weight.

Storage-wise, you also get 25gb of Dropbox storage so you can sync stuff to that too, keeping your phone free of too much stuff.

Its a nice phone.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwnniWqDMl4[/video]

2bit

I’ve had the One S for the last 4 weeks & its great. Having come from an iphone I was wary of it not being as intuitive or good but its quick, slick & does the job very well.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter got a One X a couple of weeks ago and loves it. One other thing to bear in mind though is the battery isn’t user changable (only the same as a jesus-phone though I suppose).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

At this rate it may well be the One X for the simple reason I can get a better deal, can’t find any decent deals on the One S…anyone got any? I want 300 mins and at least 500MB of data.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a one X as an upgrade from a HTC Legend

Ok it is a big phone but it is very slim yet solid and feels smaller in the pocket than my old phone

Camera quality is superb I get amazing quality shots with it tis as good as a proper camera

Battery life is ok as good/bad as the old phone about 2 days but I always have an external psu battery pack with me

Ok so it does not have a SD card but for me that is not an issue ( well not as yet)

The download speed on the net is bloody fast

No complaints here

Ok so the S3 is out now would I swap er no the S3 feels a bit fragile to me

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Looking like it might be the One X just becuase I can’t find any good deals on the One S, guessing that’s because it’s so popular maybe?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve just got the One X on a free upgrade. Had the original desire before and its a better phone all round, battery life is way better. Yes its big but i thought that about my desire when i first got it so no doubt i’ll get used to it.

Not impressed with the gps on it at the moment though. I used the sat nav on it for the first time yesterday and it was all over the place and went out for a quick ride on the Quantocks this evening and according to the sportstracker app on a ride i do regularly i managed 4500 ft of climbing in around 8.5 miles 😯

Thats way off, on my original desire with the same app i’ve tracked the same ride loads of times and its only around 1500 ft of climbing. Anyone else had this problem?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

would also be interested to hear any real world opinions…

I too will be keeping an eye on this thread, for me It’s a move from a Desire to either the HTC One X or an i-phone.

I just get the feeling the i-phone won’t be much on an upgrade

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m resisting the iphone due to the price of it, crazy money!
    MarkBrewer, Mr MC got the HTC Desire S about 1 year ago and his sat nav never seems to work and occasionally I think he’s had some manic stuff going on with GPS tracker. I ran with a mate last weekend with an iphone there was 0.3 of a mile difference between our two trackers!

MarkBrewer so are you saying you prefer your Desire to the newer One X?

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

The one x is a better phone all round if you don’t mind the size of it, and the battery life is way better than the desire. But it looks like the GPS on it is a load of crap!

I went out this afternoon for a few miles down the canal as I couldn’t be bothered to go up the Quantocks and get dirty again, when I got back and checked sportstracker I’d apparently done nearly 4000 feet of climbing and hit 76 mph somewhere 😯 Looking at it on a dog walk just now the satellite signal is constantly coming and going & the elevation keeps changing by hundreds of feet whilst standing still.

Lucky I kept my old desire as it looks like I’ll be needing to use it for sportstracking duties 🙁

julians
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems with the GPS on my One X, I use it with Strava a lot, it seems pretty accurate, and very sensitive, it even picked up a signal when I was on board an airbus flying into manchester airport. It certainly doesnt jump around much when I use it on the bike or running.

As usual, there are software updates which may have fixed early teething issues, so make sure you’re on the latest version – note – this isnt always possible if you’re on a carrier branded phone.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Mark

I use Endomondo and that seems to work ok on the X

Give it a go tis a free app so nothing to loose

redwoods
    Free Member

Interesting thread – I can upgrade my Desire in 3 weeks time and was wondering what would be comparably good and still cheap (currently only pay £20 a month with Voda, unlimited texts, 500mb data and the phone was originally free). The only thing I haven’t loved about the Desire is the almost constant low memory warnings.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Redwoods exactly that it gets on my nerves and to think forthe last 18 months I thought it was my incomptence and lack of knowledge of use of the phone!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Mark I use Endomondo and that seems to work ok on the X Give it a go tis a free app so nothing to loose

I think its the actual phone GPS signal that is the problem and not the app as I’ve had problems with sportstracker and the phones sat nav but I’ll give endomondo a try.

Googling “one x GPS problems” brought up loads of the same thing too which doesn’t fill me with confidence. Unless my phone is just a dodgy one as everything seems upto date.

julians
    Free Member

If you google for ‘desire gps problems’ or ‘iphone gps problems’, you also get loads of results.

I dont think that particularly indicative of a common fault.

But you’re clearly not making it up, and if you’ve tried other gps apps and they give the same problem, I’d say you must have a faulty phone.

Toasty

On an old note, interesting to hear the Galaxy S 2 felt lardy compared to a Desire, when it’s both lighter and a good 30% thinner.

Galaxy S 3 is about level pegging with the One X, both a similar size/weight though.

My main concern with an iPhone would be the weak crystal glass they always seem to use, I’ve exploded a Touch, and curiously so has a bloke sat a few desks from me. All the Samsung phones use very tough gorilla glass. My old SGS1 has been passed onto the missus now and the screen still looks brand new, after weeks of being shoved in my saddle bag.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It looks too small to me – you should get a Samsung Note…

alexpalacefan

Got a One S, love it.
    £20 pm from Orange, 200 min, shed-loads of texts and 500mb

APF

redwoods
    Free Member

I was looking at the One S (as I’m not really sure I want anything as humungous as the One X or Galaxy III) but given the low memory issues I’ve had with the Desire, the small amount of GB that comes with the S makes me very wary.

But I’m not sure what that leaves me with, options wise?!

Baldysquirt

I’m interested too, but am very wary of getting another HTC. My Desire has given me no end of problems and Virgin will only send it back to be looked at by HTC and seeing as it’s my business’ only phone I’ve just had to put up with frequent (a number of times a day) touch screen freezing / notification bar random movement etc (all apparently known faults with no known cure) since about 3 months of ownership. Once the full 24 months is up (4 months to go) I think it will be hard to choose HTC again.

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve got a One-S, great phone.

Very smooth, GPS superb, nice size screen without making the phone too big like the One-X and Galaxy S3, thin build, metal body, great camera with burst mode and ability to shoot stills while filming video etc etc….whats not to like?

Storage is a non issue for most people, the 500 tracks on my ipod only take up 4Gb of space so tranferring them to a phone with 16Gb of storage was no problem, apps dont take up much room either….if you carry around thousands of tracks and have films saved to your phone then you’ll want more obviously.

I have two contracts (one for me and one for the other half) and unless the iphone-5 is unbelievably good later this year i’ll be replacing her Nexus with another One-S….quad core phones have proved to be a damp squib, there arent the apps yet to take advantage of the power and the quad core chips are using old tech on new phones….the dual core phones on the market are currently better real world propositions and are showing much better battery life.

In terms of reliability, in the last few years my other half and i have owned an HTC Hero, an HTC Desire, a Desire-HD, a Nexus-S and an HTC One-S and experienced not a single problem….you need to remember that Samsung have shifted 50 million phones this year so there will obviously be reports of some owners having issues but given how many of these devices are out there the reliability is actually quite incredible….googling any phone and asking for problems (even the iphone) will turn up loads of results, people tend not to shout about their phone when it just keeps on performing normally but are very quick to post on forums slagging off a manufacturer when things go wrong.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Baldysquirt, sounsd like you have been unlucky. I’ve had my HTC Desire for 24 months and the only problem is that silly “low memory” message I get, haven’t had any other problems with it. Mr MC has a HTC Desire and loves it and again no problems. I did look at the One S but haven’t been able to find any deals within my price range and the offer ont he One X is so good. I keep thinking will the size annoy me but I just keep telling myself I always have a handbag (or rucksack) therefore why would it bother me?? mmmm still a dilemma I can’t decide, as I can get an S2 but it’s a little bit more expensive for an older phone.

Cougar

I’m interested too, but am very wary of getting another HTC. My Desire has given me no end of problems and Virgin will only send it back to be looked at by HTC and seeing as it’s my business’ only phone I’ve just had to put up with frequent (a number of times a day) touch screen freezing / notification bar random movement etc (all apparently known faults with no known cure) since about 3 months of ownership. Once the full 24 months is up (4 months to go) I think it will be hard to choose HTC again.

After three months, it should be treated as an inherent fault unless Virgin can prove otherwise. They have to make good and if a repair is necessary it has to be done without significant inconvenience to yourself. To wit, they’d have to lend you a phone.

The “known faults” with locking up on the Desire are a motherboard fault, perfectly fixable with a motherboard replacement. I had mine done, didn’t take long at all. Dunno where you get “no known cure” from, that’s nonsense.

Have you really lived with a faulty handset for eighteen months when it’s readily resolvable? Can’t immediately see how that’s HTC’s fault if so.

Cougar

the only problem is that silly “low memory” message I get

That’s readily fixable too, root and A2SD+ ROM.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cougar, you are talking a foreign language I have no clue what that is!!!!! Oh well upgrade in 2 weekend when contract finished…well not upgrade as going to another company.

Cougar

Point is, there’s a way around it with a bit of work, though academic if you’re getting rid in a couple of weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘HTC One X – phone upgrade content.’ is closed to new replies.