Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • HTC ONE M8?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone got one? Fancy a bigger screen but iPhone 6 prices gonna be too high for a good while yet. The HTC looks good. How do you find it?

Cougar

Quite easily I’d expect, it’s huge.

Cougar

I’ve got it’s predecessor, the One, er, no-M8s. Can’t fault it (other than being too big), it’s not put a foot wrong.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’ve also got the no-M8s (M7) and although I can’t fault it either, it seems generally slower and less smooth than the Nexus 4 I had before. Whether this suggests the Nexus 5 would be better than the M8 for the money I’m not sure, the HTCs definitely have a more premium feel though with the aluminium construction.

If you fancy a really big screen (more like Iphone 6+) wait for the Nexus 6 coming out in the next month, 5.9 inch screen for 400-450ish quid.

buck53

I’ve got an M8, I really like it having had Samsungs before.

Screen’s lovely, battery lasts really well(epecially considering dimmest screen level is bright enough for 90% + of my typical use), the front speakers are good enough for me to happily listen to music through in a pinch. So far HTC have been good with updates too, had an update not long after the last iteration of Android came out, this threw up a few bugs but a patch was out soon enough. Feels well made and solid too.

Only criticism I can think of is that the case that comes with it is bobbins.

muggomagic

Blimey loddrik you change your phone more often than I do!

They’re great phones, the only issue I found was the camera it takes nice enough snaps, but when I was taking scenic pictures and using them as desktop background it really showed up the lack of pixels, so it just wasn’t good enough for me. In every other aspect it was a top notch phone though, so if that’s not a big issue for you then go for it. Sense is one of the best android skins I’ve used. Plus HTC are one of the few manufacturers to list timeframes of android lollipop update.

cheers_drive

I was all set to buy one after doing some launch work for it but I guess I got sick off looking at it for months and ended up getting the LG G3. It hasn’t quite got the looks (better than the Samsung though) but it’s a brilliant phone with some nice features.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Had mine since June. Was unplugged from charge at 0630 and I’m on 80% currently. Very very fast, excellent music quality is excellent especially with headphones. Camera isn’t brilliant but for snapshots it’s fine. Updates seem to have been quick.
    Brilliant phone.

muggomagic

I got the G3 too. Really pleased with it.

voodoo_chile

Got the HTC MINI ONE well big enough and great phone , it is only 6mm smaller than the one

Cougar

The (non-M8) One Mini seemed to me to be ever-so-slightly smaller than the One whilst being half the specification. Which is a shame, as I’d preferred it the other way around.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Great. Got the Asian version (2.5ghz) running 4.4.4 and custom rom Android Revolution. It’s amazing. Battery life on standard mode I get 2 days out of it. Highly recommended.

If you fancy a slightly cheaper option get the polycarbonate E8. Same phone but with 13mp camera not the 4 Gigapixel on the M8. Oh and dual front facing speakers are pretty loud and good quality for a phone. I’m very happy with mine and more than happy to answer any q’s.

voodoo_chile

Cougar ,seems OK to me but I’m no expert

Russell96

Got one as a works phone so it gets some hammer usage wise, good battery, excellent speakers, nippy, good look and feel to it. Only downside is that the camera whilst it works pretty well in low light is eclipsed by most other phones in normal conditions.

disconoir
    Free Member

One Plus One is very good if you can get hold of one, infact I think I saw one in the classifieds (not mine).

kayak23

It has THAT word actually in it’s menu.

For that reason, I’m out 👿

chambord
    Free Member

I’d wait and get the nexus 6 personally. The screen and camera look da bomb

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have the M8 after being with iPhones for a long time. I went from an iPhone 4s to the M8. Screen size, resolution, speed, sound, weight and feel are leagues ahead. I struggled with Android after so long using iPhones. Not that it’s difficult just different ways of doing things. Having a choice in the way the phone is set up rather than been directed was some a bit new.
    Not sure what the screen is covered with but it seems to clean itself even after the nephews have had their sticky mitts on it.
    Camera I haven’t found to be lacking. Compared to the 4s it is very quick and the video is good too.

muggomagic

It’s a good time to be making the switch to android. The new os looks great and all the Google apps are getting some really nice updates. Plus finally the manufactures have got their act together and are making some really good phones.

takisawa2

Nexus all the way.
    This is my second HTC, this time the OneX+.
    Bought as soon as it came out, yet 14 months later HTC announce no more Android updates for it. 👿
    Same issue with the DesireHD I had before.
    Also has a damned annoying bug in the keyboard, so that if typing fast the cursor jumps back & deletes text.
    Battery is rubbish, has to be plugged in at work usually.
    Camera is excellent though.
    Feels well made but two friends have the Nexus5 & they are better, plus Android always seems to be bang up to date on them.
    Sorry, no more HTC for me.

muddyground
    Free Member

I bought mine on the basis of the camera. It’s pants basically, no more than a toy. Fine when looking on the screen, but nowt but blurry pixels on any other device.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had my M8 a couple of months now, I’m really pleased with it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

If people find the M8’s camera poor then you could always consider the E8 which is essentially the same phone, with polycarb body and a 13mp camera.

However I do think the Nexus 6 is going to be awesome… Hey, some great bargains on the N5 if you look around.

The OnePlus One – forget them. The weirdest marketing strategy ever – only just starting to release it for pre orders without an invite. It all went on way too long.

Really looking forward to Android 5 when the M8 starts getting that. The Google Play Edition is meant to around in December so the custom roms will be not too long after. End of Jan for the “official” HTC release.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member

Also has a damned annoying bug in the keyboard, so that if typing fast the cursor jumps back & deletes text.

Try Swiftkey from GP store.

Cougar

Or indeed, any of the hundred other choices, such is the nature of Android. (I like Swype myself.)

DrJ

Hijack but … what is the benefit of one keyboard over another? Does it really make a difference? (Genuine question, btw)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Some are more responsive, better predictions, are better to “swipe”.

I used Swype when it was first around then moved to Swiftkey. Never felt the need to change. Once you get used to swiping rather then typing, the keyboard learns and predictions are pretty spot on. I found the standard Android L keyboard a bit clumsy and the default HTC keyboard’s buttons a bit too small.

Best thing to do is try one. Might work for you, might not. Beauty of Android

chamley
    Free Member

I moved from Samsung to a One M8 a few months ago and on virtually all counts it’s an improvement. However for some reason it won’t do gapless playback of music which I’d got used to with Samsung. It might not bother you but all my music has been uploaded to Google play music so that’s that’s my main way of listening to music and the half a second of silence between songs which should be seamless bugs me!

muggomagic

I get gapless playback on my LG G3 with the Play Music app. It might be worth checking if the “Cache during playback” checkbox is ticked in play music settings. I have read threads previously about the M8’s beats audio app messing with the audio playback of other apps.

what is the benefit of one keyboard over another? Does it really make a difference?

Different keyboards allow you to set up the keyboard in different ways. So you might want numeric keys above the qwerty keys, or you might like a minimal look to match your phones theme, or maybe you want some punctuation keys for quick access to frequently used keys, or even all of the above.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Gapless with Poweramp

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

M8 user here. Came from a Samsung S3. Great improvement, Battery lasts for ages (for a smart phone) very fast, intuitive, crash free, robust, nice item in itself, splashproof too which is good. Camera’s not a zillion megapixels, but great for quick snaps.

For those that question the size, it’s big for about the first 10 minutes of use, then you just don’t notice. It fits easily into your pocket, which is the acid test. I’ve got a tablet and never use it these days, just use the phone around the house for internet etc.

Cougar

I’ve got a tablet and never use it these days, just use the phone

Conversely, my view is that my (Nexus 7) tablet negates the need for a Big Daft Phone™. My One would be perfect if it was half the size it is without sacrificing power. When phone-watch technology matures sufficiently that I can do away with the mobile handset completely, I’ll reach nerdvana.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

nerdvana

^^ Like ^^

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘HTC ONE M8?’ is closed to new replies.